The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
Guitars I have owned that fit this bill include Larrivee OM-03. Great guitar. Buy it used. . Also the S&P Woodland Pro Folk recommended above is nice. I owned one of those for a bit.

I also think Martin 16 series guitars are very nice, and on the used market a lot of those can be found.

There is a Stonebridge guitar a couple hours drive from me that has me curious. I see people recommend them. But I have yet to play one.

Good luck!
Larrivees are more pricey in this neck of the woods. US built Martins too.

Stonebridge was a marketing attempt in 2005-2006(or so) to Americanize the Furch brand, don't know if they are still the same though. If it is, it should be a fantastic guitar, go play it!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Agreed! And I'd add the E20OM as well as the E10OO 12 fretter.
Thanks!

Also, are you paid, or there for credit points, Intern? Heard Pescespada Island is a blast this time of year.

Last edited by Satellitedog01; 09-22-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Yamaha LS16M. I have no affiliation with Yamaha, I just appreciate a fine guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da4IezHDp-g

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/ac...16m-are-601221
Thank you. I found one nearby, and it is on the shortlist. A bit more pricey than what I want, but I really like the swallow-tail headstock, and the slightly Japanese design aesthetic. I'll try one if I can.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty string View Post
eastman acga2-ce. bought 1 new for 500. solid wood and sounds great and plays great. one of eastman hidden gems. all mahogany
Don't want a cutaway model right now, but Eastmen are now on my list
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Martin Road Series 000RS1

Not as robust as their 000-15, but pretty close at almost half the price. It's all hog though, so it may miss the mark.
What's the difference? Country of origin, or only the sapele instead of mahogany switcheroo? I happen to like sapele.
A bit pricey, but would love to try one.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
There's a nice Seagull that meets your requirements. In the US, it's about $650.

I have not played this particular guitar, but I do have a Seagull S6 Dread, and I completely agree with the general feeling that Seagull makes guitars that play and sound well above their cost.
Well, I used to love their headstocks, but I've tried less than stellar Seagulls, but any affordable all-solid wood guitar deserves some attention. I think these are/were available at Thomann (biggest EU store I know of) and others.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Since your criteria are so broad, you're necessarily getting an avalanche of recommendations, all of which make sense but for different reasons. Good luck sorting it out. Personally, proceeding in this way, I would either try out all relevant models I can get my hands on, choosing the one I liked best rather than going by brand (since there's inconsistency within brands at this price point) or, more likely, go with a company focused on this particular market. I would, myself, go with Eastman. The guitars of theirs that I have played have rarely been phenomenal (at this price) but also very rarely anything less than very good to excellent. If I had to order an instrument, that reliability and value for money would be my framework for choosing Eastman. Many nice models.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Folk comes in all mahogany or spruce over mahogany versions. Well under a grand. Slotted headstock. Simple unadorned look to them.
Thanks a bunch, I love simple guitars. Will look this up.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryVe View Post
A Larrivee OM-03 fits well within your budget and fits your requirements.
Thanks, but unfortunately Larrivee are less readily available, more mystical, thus more expensive around here, but I have tried and loved at least one of their instruments. Will look around for one.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellitedog01 View Post
What's the difference? Country of origin, or only the sapele instead of mahogany switcheroo? I happen to like sapele.
A bit pricey, but would love to try one.
Probably the country of origin. I've played a few and liked them.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I currently have one of these, a Recording King 12 fret OM

all solid woods
Englemann spruce top , full scale

it really is fun to play, and with all solid woods, and full scale and the 12 fret design, sounds much bigger than your typical OM size guitar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recording-Ki...YkplS#shpCntId
Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
Since your criteria are so broad, you're necessarily getting an avalanche of recommendations, all of which make sense but for different reasons. Good luck sorting it out. Personally, proceeding in this way, I would either try out all relevant models I can get my hands on, choosing the one I liked best rather than going by brand (since there's inconsistency within brands at this price point) or, more likely, go with a company focused on this particular market. I would, myself, go with Eastman. The guitars of theirs that I have played have rarely been phenomenal (at this price) but also very rarely anything less than very good to excellent. If I had to order an instrument, that reliability and value for money would be my framework for choosing Eastman. Many nice models.
I was actually shocked by the number of replies, not the diversity. Lively forum, very resonant and with good sustain. :-)

I agree with you, but I'd also add I'd love to get a used instrument if possible, just so it is a bit looser and played in than a factory new example. I've played some high dollar guitars that didn't work at all, either because of set up/string issues, or just rigidity. I've also played affordable guitars that I'd have loved to take home on the spot. Blueridge seemed quite consistently alive. Wish Furch were less expensive, but at least they are priced in their weight-class at last.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
I currently have one of these, a Recording King 12 fret OM

all solid woods
Englemann spruce top , full scale

it really is fun to play, and with all solid woods, and full scale and the 12 fret design, sounds much bigger than your typical OM size guitar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Recording-Ki...YkplS#shpCntId
Yeah, this was among my fall-back plans, but I'd like something a bit more historic looking, like their ROS series all-solids. Unfortunately Thomann don't sell those anymore.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Probably the country of origin. I've played a few and liked them.
Thanks! I'll try one if I can.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Blueridge makes great guitars.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...s/52951/126222

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion