The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-18-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Ukulele String separation ??

On my Baritone MaKala the D and G wound strings have pulled apart at the frets..
the winding has broke exposing the nylon core....is this normal ?
It has Aquila Supernylut strings on it from the factory... and I've only had it for a few weeks... ??
Old 08-18-2017, 06:16 PM

IIRC Aquila posts a notice on their packaging explaining that this may happen with their wound strings - small consolation, but at least I give them points for honesty. I'm relatively new to the uke game myself, so I can't offer any real suggestions for replacement strings - I'd recommend calling up one of the specialty uke vendors and asking them for advice...
Old 08-20-2017, 03:20 PM

Please read: the wound strings used for all Aquila ukulele sets such as soprano low G, concert low G, tenor low G, baritone in guitar tuning, and a few other varieties that use a wound string, use a very fine wire wrapping on the wound strings in order to produce their excellent tone. These strings do not have the long life span of the more durable but poor sounding wound strings offered by other manufacturers. Players who use Aquila ukulele sets with wound strings please be aware that the wound strings will need to be replaced much more often than the plain Nylgut strings that make up the rest of the set. We advise that players purchase 3 or 4 extra single wound strings with every set. When played often a wound string may last only about 1-2 weeks, which is also dependent on the condition of the frets. This is considered to be normal wear for these strings and is not a defective string. Thank you for your understanding. Players who do not want to replace strings as often as this are advised to use Aquila ukulele sets that have all Nylgut strings, which are most sets that have a high g.

.................................................. ...

The above is copied & pasted from the Aquila USA website.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Thanks.....I'll be trying the all Nylon strings
Old 08-20-2017, 04:06 PM

I've had new d'addarrio pro arte wound guitar strings from nyon sets do that in a matter of a few weeks.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 08-27-2017, 01:58 AM

Default Nut slot width

If you are gonna keep using linear tuning, you have to bear in mind that an unwound d will be thicker in diameter and will not likely seat fully in that nut slot without filing the slot larger. If you don't want to do this, you can put a high d for reentrant tuning. Many folks do this and switch over to all fluorocarbons. I like linear tuning, however, and like wound strings and use Thomasfeld-Instik.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
If you are gonna keep using linear tuning, you have to bear in mind that an unwound d will be thicker in diameter and will not likely seat fully in that nut slot without filing the slot larger. If you don't want to do this, you can put a high d for reentrant tuning. Many folks do this and switch over to all fluorocarbons. I like linear tuning, however, and like wound strings and use Thomasfeld-Instik.
TI has baritone strings?
Old 08-27-2017, 09:00 AM

Use the middle strings of their classical guitar set.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
Use the middle strings of their classical guitar set.
I've done this too. The "D" string of a classical guitar set is 0.030" (IIRC) and is a reasonable substitute for a Low G ukulele string.

Aquila's wound stings are fairly soft - I think they use aluminum windings -- and require replacement much more often. I have a fairly heavy fretting touch and notice a lot of wear on the underside of the wound string at the frets. I keep several singles in my case (also good for letting someone try a low G configuration). I probably go through 3-4 wound strings for every change of the unwound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments