The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Well today is a big day in terms of the future of this guitar...ie. the day the braces were carved to allow this baby to sing some day.

Beginning to carve:

Finished carving, I wish I knew more about the science and art of this process. How much do you know to take off, where to take it to voice the guitar etc. All I know is this looks like beautiful work has been done and it looks cool...

Old 12-12-2016, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Lookin' great, Tom! I love seeing this stuff.......

Just for comparison sake, here's the top of mine at about the same stage:

Old 12-13-2016, 07:06 AM

Looks like a little different treatment around the sound hole, but otherwise pretty danged similar...
Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looks like a little different treatment around the sound hole, but otherwise pretty danged similar...
Yup......"pretty danged similar!" Of course, be both know that the deeper tonal values won't fully erupt until the "tone enhancers" are installed.......
Old 12-13-2016, 10:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Whew...I didn't know people were going to start fact-checking my brace carving. They should be pretty darn close since they're both Spruce/Rosewood deep body OM's. The main differences were the different types of rosettes which I backed up the sound hole to fit each one. Also, Jim's picture is taken right before the top is glued on whereas Tom's still has to go through the "master touches."

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 12-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Oh yes ... the mysterious "tone enhancers". What is the appropriate age for those?
Old 12-13-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Oh yes ... the mysterious "tone enhancers". What is the appropriate age for those?
Ahhh yes, Jim, the tone enhancers, still don't know why other manufacturers have not adapted that technology...I turned mine too far to the right once and I thought it was plugged in to a tube amp...

It is not so much the age appropriateness Dennis, it is more of a European vs. American cultural thing, ie...wine with dinner, water with dinner, topless beaches, uptight beaches, tea vs. coffee....you'll understand soon enough!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:08 AM

It will be a beautiful instrument for sure.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:08 AM

I noticed on Jim's soundboard it appears that the sound hole reinforcement runs under the upper X braces. Not so on this build. I don't ever recall seeing anyone else extending it under the X brace. Do you mind commenting?
Always enjoy following your builds.
Travis
Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
... it is more of a European vs. American cultural thing, ie...wine with dinner, water with dinner, topless beaches, uptight beaches, tea vs. coffee....you'll understand soon enough!
Given the choice I guess I would pick the topless beaches.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
I noticed on Jim's soundboard it appears that the sound hole reinforcement runs under the upper X braces. Not so on this build. I don't ever recall seeing anyone else extending it under the X brace. Do you mind commenting?
Always enjoy following your builds.
Travis
Travis, thanks for taking the time to look so closely.

It's true that reinforcements rarely go out past the X's. However, we want to match the proper reinforcement with the rosette installed. Both of these custom rosettes had elements that we felt necessitated some backing up. On Jim's in particular, his rosette design kept evolving through the course of the installation. We had a germ of an idea about what was wanted, and in the end, we wound up in a much different place than where we started. Such is the process sometimes in custom building. In working and routing and adding to the rosette in multiple succession, I felt like a slightly more pronounced reinforcement extending even beyond the X braces was prudent. While visible in this shot, it could only be seen by a mirror. Also the Spruce backing is so thin that I'm fairly confident that any effect on the tone would be negligible - though Jim could weigh in on the responsiveness of his guitar.

I used a .028" black veneer on Tom's really to help tie in the Ebony ring to the top by more than just a vertical glue joint. Also, there's some long term benefit in stiffening the soundhole area anyway. While we don't do it on many guitars, it probably wouldn't hurt to be standard procedure.

It's always interesting what someone will notice when you open up your work processes, but we are grateful when people take the time to look and ask questions.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

Last edited by nacluth; 12-16-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
It will be a beautiful instrument for sure.
Thank you very much, I am sure you are correct! We still have a few little surprises before she is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Given the choice I guess I would pick the topless beaches.
OK....me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Travis, thanks for taking the time to look so closely.

It's true that reinforcements rarely go out past the X's. However, we want to match the proper reinforcement with the rosette installed. Both of these custom rosettes had elements that we felt necessitated some backing up. On Jim's in particular, his rosette design kept evolving through the course of the installation. We had a germ of an idea about what was wanted, and in the end, we wound up in a much different place than where we started. Such is the process sometimes in custom building. In working and routing and adding to the rosette in multiple succession, I felt like a slightly more pronounced reinforcement extending even beyond the X braces was prudent. While visible in this shot, it could only be seen by a mirror. Also the Spruce backing is so thin that I'm fairly confident that any effect on the tone would be negligent - though Jim could weigh in on the responsiveness of his guitar.

I used a .028" black veneer on Tom's really to help tie in the Ebony ring to the top by more than just a vertical glue joint. Also, there's some long term benefit in stiffening the soundhole area anyway. While we don't do it on many guitars, it probably wouldn't hurt to be standard procedure.

It's always interesting what someone will notice when you open up your work processes, but we are grateful when people take the time to look and ask questions.
Thanks for the explanation Ryan, I like the added Ebony on mine and also noticed the braces near the sound hole on mine were flat, did not know if that is part of the finish carving or it they would not be carved at all....

Last edited by TomB'sox; 12-14-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Thanks Ryan for taking the time for the detailed explanation of the extra reinforcement. It is what makes this forum such a great place to hang out.
Thanks again
Travis
Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

This is nice work indeed...cant wait to see it finished!

www.vinesguitars.com
Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
It's true that reinforcements rarely go out past the X's. However, we want to match the proper reinforcement with the rosette installed. Both of these custom rosettes had elements that we felt necessitated some backing up. On Jim's in particular, his rosette design kept evolving through the course of the installation. We had a germ of an idea about what was wanted, and in the end, we wound up in a much different place than where we started. Such is the process sometimes in custom building. In working and routing and adding to the rosette in multiple succession, I felt like a slightly more pronounced reinforcement extending even beyond the X braces was prudent. While visible in this shot, it could only be seen by a mirror. Also the Spruce backing is so thin that I'm fairly confident that any effect on the tone would be negligent - though Jim could weigh in on the responsiveness of his guitar.
Interesting! Since I'm unable to actually A/B the potential differences, I probably can't "weigh in" very much one way or the other. The top on my OM is quite responsive, though, so no complaints here. On the other hand, if I were to compare it to the hog OM, there's no question that the hog OM is currently much more responsive. Then again, that guitar has been played off and on for well over a year now, so it has undoubtedly 'opened up' considerably more than the rosewood OM. It would probably better for me to make a more accurate assessment once the rosewood OM has a few more miles on it.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop