The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong Hybrid

I am interested in getting a Carbon Fiber guitar. I notice that Rainsong has a new Hybrid line that is a combination of carbon fiber and glass fiber. Does anyone know how the glass fiber mix impacts on the strength and reliability of the product? I see that the price is quite a bit lower - in my mind, I'm thinking an inferior product?

Steve
Old 01-02-2011, 02:41 PM

I am not sure if the guitar is less durable, but I can tell you it is one great sounding guitar. Rainsong has the best graphite guitars, IMHO. The carbon and glass combination is something quite special. You will very surprised with the quality and the sound of the hybrid. Guitar center is carrying them, go give it a try!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM

There was a recent thread about Rainsong guitars and I asked the same questions about the hybrid. I am not aware of any responses
Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
I am interested in getting a Carbon Fiber guitar. I notice that Rainsong has a new Hybrid line that is a combination of carbon fiber and glass fiber. Does anyone know how the glass fiber mix impacts on the strength and reliability of the product? I see that the price is quite a bit lower - in my mind, I'm thinking an inferior product?

Steve
Having only had all-graphite RainSong guitars, I can only paraphrase what others have said about the new RainSong Hybrids: They sound great and woodier than the high-end, all-graphite RainSongs Is this a plus? Frankly, I love the tone of my all-graphite RainSongs, which maximize the tonal benefits of carbon fiber. One thing to consider is that RainSong is the premier builder of graphite (aka, carbon) guitars and their quality control is excellent! For the money, based on what others have said about the Rainsong Hybrids, and my own experience with their high-end models, I highly recommend you audition a RainSong Hybrid!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-02-2011, 03:04 PM

I just got a hybrid studio (matte finish) and it is a phenomenal guitar. I can't imagine it having any durability issues and I would not consider it inferior to an all cf guitar. It is a great sounding and playing instrument.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I just got a hybrid studio (matte finish) and it is a phenomenal guitar. I can't imagine it having any durability issues and I would not consider it inferior to an all cf guitar. It is a great sounding and playing instrument.
I've got to agree after owning a Rainsong HS-OM1100N2 for several months. It's so light you'd think it's a toy, but the tone is really incredible. I had a Fishman Matrix Infinity installed, and a great tone only got better played through my Fishman Loudbox Mini...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-03-2011 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I've got to agree after owning a Rainsong HS-OM1100N2 for several months. It's so light you'd think it's a toy, but the tone is really incredible. I had a Fishman Matrix Infinity installed, and a great tone only got better throughmy Fishman Loudbox Mini...
If you know anyone selling one let me know...i have some cool stuff to barter with...no junk...some super cool stuff...Solo

Mike Solo
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post

Steve
Check this thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=202915

You should find your answer there I believe.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 AM

I've tried a couple of these and they are very nice guitars, with warmer tone than the original RainSongs. But if you are interested in their matt finish version be sure to give one a try first. I found this finish to be very scratchy and noisy, much like the RT finish on CA guitars that many folks did not like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber