The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM

The capo is a marvelous thing!

Just to repeat, (as the thread is reaching "skim length" for some) if you put on medium strings on your standard 25.5" scale guitar, tune down half a step (Eb to Eb), and capo at fret one, you have a 24" scale with strings that are at the same tension as light gauge strings on 25.5" scale.

This means, your guitar's top will be driven just as effectively as it was before with light gauge strings, as the string tension of mediums tuned down half a step is about the same as lights tuned to pitch.

Capoing will not reduce string tension (which is determined by the length of string tuning post to bridge pin, the thickness of the string, and the pitch of the string), but the capo will shorten the neck, which willl shorten the reaches and stretches your arm, hand, and fingers need to make. Leverage rules.

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Looks nice, but I can't find any measurement specs online. Do you know the nut width?
With my trusty plastic ruler, here are some measurements:
Nut width: 43.5mm (1.71inches)
At neck join (15th fret): 54mm (2.13inches)
Upper bout: about 23.5cm (9.15inches)
Lower bout: about 31cm (12.2 inches)
Body length: about 40cm (15.75 inches)

Sorry that I can't be more precise.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitardude View Post
<<snip>>
Cargo has somehow come up with the right combination of ingredients and craft to come up with a real winner. Don't knock it until you've played one (if you haven't yet done so).

...and if you have played one (or several) and find the Cargo lacking in a few areas, you can certainly talk about that here...however, some folks may ask you (politely and otherwise) to go away!

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitardude View Post
Yes, but I understand it went out of business for financial reasons other than not selling enough guitars. My impression is that they were selling very well.
Yep, they sold every Cargo they could make, but apparently all of them at a loss. Heck, it's easy to sell guitars, or anything for that matter if the price is low enough.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:08 PM

I had a Cargo. Its main virtue was that it had great volume for its size. My problem was it didn't intonate to my satisfaction. I tried others and they sounded the same. It was suggested the light strings didn't have enough tension. I tried mediums to no avail. You could adjust it to work in different keys but that was no fun.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
...and if you have played one (or several) and find the Cargo lacking in a few areas, you can certainly talk about that here...however, some folks may ask you (politely and otherwise) to go away!

Larry:

Let's be accurate about this...

We don't ask people to go away (politely or otherwise), we hand them cement slippers, point to the river, and TELL them - GO!

Tony
Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Larry:

Let's be accurate about this...

We don't ask people to go away (politely or otherwise), we hand them cement slippers, point to the river, and TELL them - GO!

Tony

To be fully accurate, you might want to peruse the last CA thread that was closed...although some of those posts were edited/removed.

(I appreciate your humor here, of course!)

Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be fully accurate, you might want to peruse the last CA thread that was closed...although some of those posts were edited/removed.

(I appreciate your humor here, of course!)
Yes, I did read/follow that thread. I find it interesting how discussion of the Cargo can bring people out in sizeable numbers, taking "sides". There really isn't anything I can add to those discussions anymore, so other than maybe trying to lighten things up with a remark here and there (I offered the "double neck Cargo" idea in that thread), I pretty much read such threads with interest in how they turn out.

Tony
Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Yes, I did read/follow that thread. I find it interesting how discussion of the Cargo can bring people out in sizeable numbers, taking "sides". There really isn't anything I can add to those discussions anymore, so other than maybe trying to lighten things up with a remark here and there (I offered the "double neck Cargo" idea in that thread), I pretty much read such threads with interest in how they turn out.

Tony
Yep.

Say, NAMM is right around the corner...I wonder how soon after that we'll see the Cargo (and other new-CA guitars) hit the streets for public evaluation/consumption...?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
To be fully accurate, you might want to peruse the last CA thread that was closed...
A thread you participated in was closed??? I'm shocked...
Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelor View Post
A thread you participated in was closed??? I'm shocked...

Yes, I've seen some folks be quite personally abusive, even on this moderated forum...and when folks persist in this type of behavior, oftentimes the thread is closed. I think you may have participated on the thread I referenced, as well?

Sometimes there is even intended-abuse presented under the guise of humor.

Shocking.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm just wondering if Peavey's full line catalog on their website will flip over to the 2011 model year at the stroke of midnight Friday and leak anything.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep.

Say, NAMM is right around the corner...I wonder how soon after that we'll see the Cargo (and other new-CA guitars) hit the streets for public evaluation/consumption...?
Good question. I would think it would be some time after NAMM, maybe toward early spring?

Here is what I am wondering about, based on comments made over the past year or two in this and the MacNichol forums...

I am given to understand that the cost differential between making the Cargo and the larger, much more expensive CA guitars was really not very large because the difference in material cost was rather small and the labor costs to build either instrument type were also very close. I may have completely misunderstood some of the posts that touched on this, so if that is the case, my underlying premise for the remainder of my comments in this post may be completely off base.

Anyway, based on that understanding, I can't really see how Peavey could build the Cargo at better margins, even considering potentially greater "economy of scale" (possibly because their manufacturing facilities might be more efficient and they could probably push more product out the door, not to mention their existing large network of dealers and their advertising potential for greater visibility worldwide) because I can't really see the actual market for the Cargo being HUGE of a market when all is said and done enough to make up for that cost differential (the unlikelihood that every guitar player will want to own one). It seems to me that Peavey will have to either raise the price of the Cargo so they can make enough money to continue making this product or lower the costs to make it - either choice being intended to increase margins so that they can continue that business at all.

To me, this observation/conjecture is separate from whether they make real improvements on the Cargo (unless said improvements add noticeably to the cost of manufacture and/or materials involved).

So, yes, though I already own three (count 'em!!! ) Cargos, I will watch this unfold with interest.

Tony
Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Good question. I would think it would be some time after NAMM, maybe toward early spring?

Here is what I am wondering about, based on comments made over the past year or two in this and the MacNichol forums...

I am given to understand that the cost differential between making the Cargo and the larger, much more expensive CA guitars was really not very large because the difference in material cost was rather small and the labor costs to build either instrument type were also very close. I may have completely misunderstood some of the posts that touched on this, so if that is the case, my underlying premise for the remainder of my comments in this post may be completely off base.

Anyway, based on that understanding, I can't really see how Peavey could build the Cargo at better margins, even considering potentially greater "economy of scale" (possibly because their manufacturing facilities might be more efficient and they could probably push more product out the door, not to mention their existing large network of dealers and their advertising potential for greater visibility worldwide) because I can't really see the actual market for the Cargo being HUGE of a market when all is said and done enough to make up for that cost differential (the unlikelihood that every guitar player will want to own one). It seems to me that Peavey will have to either raise the price of the Cargo so they can make enough money to continue making this product or lower the costs to make it - either choice being intended to increase margins so that they can continue that business at all.

To me, this observation/conjecture is separate from whether they make real improvements on the Cargo (unless said improvements add noticeably to the cost of manufacture and/or materials involved).

So, yes, though I already own three (count 'em!!! ) Cargos, I will watch this unfold with interest.

Tony

The only thing I might question from the above is the size of the potential market for guitars such as the Cargo.

I think the market is huge, and still relatively un-tapped...for the right, properly-built product.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only thing I might question from the above is the size of the potential market for guitars such as the Cargo.

I think the market is huge, and still relatively un-tapped...for the right, properly-built product.
Well, we should find out soon for sure, depending on how Peavey chooses to handle this new business of theirs. I think that is the "wild card" right now.

Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber