The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2008, 09:44 PM

I spent a lot of time with John when he was here south of Lehigh University in Center Valley area about 35 minutes from my home and shop. He was the kind of guy who really made you know that you'd done something right way back when you decided to make music a major part of your life.

Whether you were a musician, an instrument repairman, an instrument builder or seller, John had a way of helping you to appreciate what you were doing as you contributed to the music industry and served the people in it. His logo really spoke volumes of truth about his feelings about music and what it had done in and for his life, not to mention the many lives that he touched.

If you've ever seen the Pearse Strings banner that reads in the oval surrounding his name...."Music Really Does Make The World A Better Place". By living the life that he did, John made sure that he had done all that he could to help music to do just that.

He made the world a better place for all who knew him and all who have used his wonderful product offerings to the music industry.

He'll be sorely missed. This was very difficult thing for me to learn tonight and will likely affect me and many others for some time. My thoughts and prayers are with all of his close friends and family as they walk through this tough time, but I know that his memory will soon bring smiles and an occasional chuckle again....it just takes time.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

John Pearse, I refuse to place you in the attic of my memory. I will not forget you. All of my acoustic guitars have smiled every time I've changed strings on 'em for these past many years.

Play on, pick often, and prosper.....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 11-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

After reading this, I just had to go out and buy some of his strings.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

I have waited a bit to write something because I was expecting him to recover once again, and I am, I guess, in denial.

I will just mention that anytime I called him, he acted like he had been sitting by the phone waiting for me to call and he was so glad I had. I know he was a very busy man but he gave each person his 100% attention.

Many of you may know that when he heard that I regretted selling a G40 Maccaferri when I was in high school (1953), he e-mailed me, and said that he had one he would sell me.

We talked on the phone after that off and on. This particular guitar was handed to him by Mario Maccaferri, himself, as a gift. Mario said that it had been his and he played it in his office from time to time. It had not been tuned or played since Mario gave it to him. It still had the original case.

I bought it and he gave me a good provenance and he told me a lot about how impressed he was with Mario. John told me to use his silk and steel medium-lights on the G40...and he told me what he would put on the 3/4 guitar...and his experiences playing a 3/4 guitar in a concert.

Later, I bought another G40 from someone else and the original shipping box was marked "For John Pearse...One of two." I called John and he remembered buying those new and who he sold them to. He must have had a tremendous memory and recall.

I would read his postings on his newsgroup and the things that he thought a bother, would have sent me ballistic.

When some jerk commented rudely about the passing of the Queen Mother, he wrote a little note saying how sad he was when she passed away because it was a personal joke of theirs that when drinks were served, she would ask that he make her G&T because he knew how she liked it.

He was still a little kid in short pants at the time. John had a broad and checkered past.

He heard me praise an out-of-production finger pick so much, we called and I sent him one and now these picks are available as his "High Riders." He went from idea to having the product in the shops in an amazingly short period.

So, sure, buy his strings, but why not listen to the voice that many of you never heard?

Buy this CD --

http://www.johnpearse.com/store.html

it is a good one and I think it shows a lot of what the man was about. He reminds me of some of Theodore Bikel's concerts...and that is about as good as they get. I will be playing my copy today while I finish up some guitar work in the shop.

The Pearse/Maccaferri guitar being played by Austin, TX, musician, Al Sato.

I am so sorry he is gone...and I will miss him more when one of those "Pearse questions" comes up and there is no one to call.

We lost a great one.

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:51 AM

RIP, John...

Having used your strings, and now reading your impact on others' lives, I feel the loss. RIP
Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 AM

That is a shame. My best wishes to his family. I hadn't seen John at the last couple of winter NAMM shows. At the shop the John Pearse strings are our favorite. John always made the best products for the guitar.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 PM

Default John Pearse is gone...

John, my friend, you will be sorely missed by all you have touched.
Heaven's harps will sing even sweeter from this day on.

PO
John Pearse endorser
Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 AM

Hello, everyone. Thanks for posting this.

I am a lurker here, I only noodle a bit at acoustic guitar (and badly) but enjoy reading the forum and discussions.

Way back in the seventies, my father and mother became friends with John Pearse and his wife and spent several weekends with them in Pennsylvania. They met through Stan Jay, I think, at Mandolin Bros (my dad was their CPA, not a musician) and became friends. I remember my dad talking about what a character John was and bringing home John's guitar instruction books and other stuff from his visits. I didn't play guitar or anything then.

Fast forward...

When I started playing a couple of years ago and first saw JP strings in a music store, it rung a bell. Yup, same guy.

In late 2006 I tracked him down on the internet and wrote to him, telling him who I was. His response:

Well, Hi, there, Ed.
Yes I did know your dad, back when I first arrived in the States. A real gentleman, in the old tradition. Please give him my very best wishes. I am 67 now and semi-retired, living in a small, medieval town in southern Germany, surrounded by vineyards -- and suffering from peripheral neuropathy. I'm in a wheelchair right now, however, when I get a pair of new knees I intend to start gigging again.
Again, all the best to your dad, and it was good to hear from you.

John.

-----
My dad, who is in his mid eighties and in not so great health, got a big kick out of my detective work when I forwarded the emails to him.

RIP, John, sorry I never met you.

Ed
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

This was a nice posting, Ed. Thanks for sharing your insight of a very interesting person. The world is poorer for his passing.

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 PM

That is a tremendous eulogy. I would hope that his loved ones will see this thread and be comforted by the good name he left behind worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
I have waited a bit to write something because I was expecting him to recover once again, and I am, I guess, in denial.

I will just mention that anytime I called him, he acted like he had been sitting by the phone waiting for me to call and he was so glad I had. I know he was a very busy man but he gave each person his 100% attention.

Many of you may know that when he heard that I regretted selling a G40 Maccaferri when I was in high school (1953), he e-mailed me, and said that he had one he would sell me.

We talked on the phone after that off and on. This particular guitar was handed to him by Mario Maccaferri, himself, as a gift. Mario said that it had been his and he played it in his office from time to time. It had not been tuned or played since Mario gave it to him. It still had the original case.

I bought it and he gave me a good provenance and he told me a lot about how impressed he was with Mario. John told me to use his silk and steel medium-lights on the G40...and he told me what he would put on the 3/4 guitar...and his experiences playing a 3/4 guitar in a concert.

Later, I bought another G40 from someone else and the original shipping box was marked "For John Pearse...One of two." I called John and he remembered buying those new and who he sold them to. He must have had a tremendous memory and recall.

I would read his postings on his newsgroup and the things that he thought a bother, would have sent me ballistic.

When some jerk commented rudely about the passing of the Queen Mother, he wrote a little note saying how sad he was when she passed away because it was a personal joke of theirs that when drinks were served, she would ask that he make her G&T because he knew how she liked it.

He was still a little kid in short pants at the time. John had a broad and checkered past.

He heard me praise an out-of-production finger pick so much, we called and I sent him one and now these picks are available as his "High Riders." He went from idea to having the product in the shops in an amazingly short period.

So, sure, buy his strings, but why not listen to the voice that many of you never heard?

Buy this CD --

http://www.johnpearse.com/store.html

it is a good one and I think it shows a lot of what the man was about. He reminds me of some of Theodore Bikel's concerts...and that is about as good as they get. I will be playing my copy today while I finish up some guitar work in the shop.

The Pearse/Maccaferri guitar being played by Austin, TX, musician, Al Sato.

I am so sorry he is gone...and I will miss him more when one of those "Pearse questions" comes up and there is no one to call.

We lost a great one.

Ken C.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion