The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2017, 04:24 AM

Interesting short article here on titanium: https://born2invest.com/articles/wha...titanium-weak/
Old 09-04-2017, 04:56 AM

My guess is that marketing people realize enthusiasts will spend money on their hobbies. If an outsider were to look at a guitar they may think it's not something that can be upgraded. Of course they don't know about bone, Ivory, exotic wood adornments, capos, $30+ picks, and now $40 strings.
For me, I have spent a fair bit on tuner upgrades but so far I have resisted other expensive gadgets. I don't think I have come even close to losing $30 worth of picks even though I've lost hundreds of them. They are very likely worth every penny but losing $30 in one load of laundry is a personal deterrent. I pay $6 for strings I don't think I will pay $40.
Based on the positive assessments I've read I do think they give a pretty good return to those that like them.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
Still no reply from Martin, nor from the ebay seller. .
You posted your issue on Thursday. It's a long holiday weekend so they probably haven't been open since you emailed them with a string break question. If they prioritize incoming issues such as guitar warranty = high, string break= low, you might want to let them reopen, sort through emails and get back to you.

Quote:
...I will now put on a fresh set of Elixir mediums and never ever ever...EVER look back and consider spending money on strings that have "Martin" written on them....
Also, if you wrote your email containing the above and the part about being "furious ", they may not respond. Being disappointed about a new string breakage, and asking politely (which you may have done) for some remedy for the broken string, is expected. Treating a broken string like an emergency or catastrophe, is not reasonable.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 09-04-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Still no reply from Martin, nor from the ebay seller. ....
Ebay? You got them off Ebay? All bets are off. Ebay is rife with counterfeit strings. D'Addario, Elixir, etc.. Guitar strings costing $40 a set attract counterfeiters.

Sorry, Greg.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-18-2017 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 AM

Yes, of course I wrote politely, and I got a full refund. The ebay seller was a big one with a lot of good feedback, so I don't think it was a counterfait. He said he would immediately contact his Martin rep, I might have been the first one to buy one of these ,so he has no experience with them.

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 09-26-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, of course I wrote politely, and I got a full refund. The ebay seller was a big one with a lot of good feedback
Just for clarification, did the full refund come from CF Martin or the eBay seller? And what was Martin's reply after you contacted them about the issue?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I make it my mission not to buy strings off ebay. Ebay has become a haven for counterfeiters. It is no longer safe to buy any product off ebay.

Yeah, I got reeled in more than once.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 AM

I have a set of the Titaniums on my Custom J-45. Have done half a dozen outdoor gigs in the Mississippi humidity and the strings are amazing. This time of year it's usually one gig per set of D'Addarios 16s. Thought I'd give these a try and can't believe how great they are holding up. Figure they will have paid for themselves in another couple of weeks if things continue. Sorry you had a bad experience, hope Martin makes it right. Be surprised if they didn't...
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 09-26-2017, 11:18 AM

I haven't yet tried the Titanium's and don't know it I will. Too spendy. However, in defense of Monels, I now have them on my Gallagher and like them a lot. I previously used Elixers which I found too "plastic" sounding. The Monels tame this beast down. I didn't like Monels on my 000mmv, which needs every bit of string liveliness it can get. No one string will work for everyone.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
I haven't yet tried the Titanium's and don't know it I will. Too spendy. However, in defense of Monels, I now have them on my Gallagher and like them a lot. I previously used Elixers which I found too "plastic" sounding. The Monels tame this beast down. I didn't like Monels on my 000mmv, which needs every bit of string liveliness it can get. No one string will work for everyone.
Your point is well-taken.
Guitars can be improved with a string change.
Having been a Beta-Tester for the Titaniums, I can say that they are very similar to the Monels. They WILL last a long time and they ARE even easier to play; smoother and easier to fret.
At $40 it's a tough call.
I'm going to ask for some for Christmas...problem solved.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion