The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-28-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Composite Acoustic Guitar Questions

I have recently purchased a used CA Composite Acoustic guitar Model 5iM-CE and cannot find very much info about this model on the web. I really love this guitar and would like to know more about it. I travel quite a bit and will be taking this guitar on my flight trips so it seems ideal for those types of road trips since it is impervious to altitude and the elements. It is an amplified guitar with volume and tone controls, but the tone control is not connected. Does anyone know what type of electronics came from the factory in this guitar? I am assuming that the electronics are the factory original. The previous owner says so. Is it a mike or bridge pick up? I would like to have tone control if possible. The action is a little high for me. Is lowering the action the same as other acoustics? I have heard different opinions on how this is done. How is the lowering of the action accomplished? Since it is carbon fiber, I thought it might be different. I plan to take it to an experienced luthier, but since it is carbon fiber, I want know as much as possible when I take it for lowering the action. I am new member. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You purchased a very nice guitar as I'm sure you know by now. The electronics in your guitar are the original simple under saddle pickup made by LR Baggs. For some reason the tone control never really worked right on these so if you want a tone control you might have to replace it. As for lowering the action, it will have to be done at the saddle and any good luthier should be able to take care of this. There are other things that could be affecting the action like neck relief and neck angle but these cannot be adjusted on CA's so lets hope lowering the saddle will do the trick.

Good luck
Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

You purchased a very nice guitar as I'm sure you know by now. The electronics in your guitar are the original simple under saddle pickup made by LR Baggs. For some reason the tone control never really worked right on these so if you want a tone control you might have to replace it. As for lowering the action, it will have to be done at the saddle and any good luthier should be able to take care of this. There are other things that could be affecting the action like neck relief and neck angle but these cannot be adjusted on CA's so lets hope lowering the saddle will do the trick.

Good luck
Thank you buddy, I appreciate the information.

Yes, I do know I purchased a pretty special guitar.

The story goes like this: In the summer of this year I played an unampliphied CA road tough cargo (the only one they had) at our local guitar store and fell in love with it, but it sold before I get back with the money, so I said order one for for me. They said sorry bud, the company is out of business.

I went home and researched this guitar online and realized the engineering marvel of this instrument. They had a CA GXi RT which I do truly love but I thought was too expensive, but now know it was a good buy! I have looked around and cannot find many of the CA guitars available. In the meantime a bass player came in with this CA guitar and I got to him before he traded and purchased the guitar. It is like new with almost no playing time.

I have travelled back and forth weekly for my business to Tennessee from NC with this guitar for seven months and the guitar stays in tune and is is very consistent. The neck angle looks good.

I will probably keep this guitar and probably buy the GXi as well once I save my cash.

I own several other guitars, but this is my first carbon fiber. I think the action lowering will be fine, but typically, all of the other guitars I purchased had gone thru their "growing pains" with their previous owners. I typically do not purchase any guitar unless it feels good and neck has nice low action like my 71 Gibson 335.

The CA will get it first test tomorrow as I am taking it to back to Colorado with me to the mile high city on my flight.

So thank you again, I will probably have the luthier in CO lower this action. I feel more comfortable after your info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber