The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Default composite acoustics ox for fingerstyle?

I'm trying to get into fingerstyle by learning some DADGAD Al Petteway songs and my Tacoma dread, while sounding great for the most part, feels like it is fighting me on some notes and the playability doesn't really seem suited for fingerstyle. I'm debating on picking up a CA OX and am wondering if that would be much better, for those who have experience with the OX. If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd jump on one of a few Webber Roundbody guitars I've seen for sale, but the OX is in a more livable price range and would be great to take on trips to the beach...I could always pick up a Roundbody down the road. I just don't want to get an OX and it not be a vast improvement over my Tacoma dread for fingerstyle.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM

why not go to a shop and try one out?
Old 10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

As far as I know, they're out of business (although I think Peavy bought their assets, but no more are being made), so it is hard to find one I could go play within driving distance. I'm looking at a few for sale online.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM

I have recently purchased mine (used) from Tarpman who is a vendor here. Got the one without electronics, like it, plays nice, plenty of room at the fretboard (got large hands), spacing at the saddle is great at 2 1/4" - I love the way single notes run out of it, it is a bit bass heavy (think Martin sound), overall it is a pretty balanced instrument. I am planning to have setup done on it, not immediately but down the road (I do this with all of my instruments), that should bring it to a nice low action that I like.
I got it so I can take it with me, anywhere, and not worry as much about weather changes and such, basically yank it out of its case and play it (reason I didn't want any electronics in it). Keep in mind you can always amplify it later on, with whatever electronics you choose (I have decided since the Ovation purchase all my other guitars will be acoustics, and I will add electronics myself).

The only thing I wish it had would be shorter scale length, something around 24.84 or less works great for me, after that it would be perfect guitar for me

I am fairly a novice to fingerstyle, do a lot of fingerpicking in my song arrangements, currently working on Laurence Juber's version of In My Life and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
Others will chime in shortly - CA is liked around here.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM

Volman, I'm not sure what your budget is but for fingerstyle I would also recommend looking at the Rainsong HS-OM1100N2. These guitars are very responsive with excellent clarity and come with a fully adjustable truss rod which you will find very handy. In addition they are very light so they make outstanding travel companions. With the AGF discount this guitar is much more affordable than you might think.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Do it!

Volman, I own a ca ox, and I would highly recommend it. It's one of my favorite guitars. I do play a little fingerstyle and its great. Great volume and clarity. It's certainly not my RTaylor, or even my 914, but its one heck of a guitar.
I primarily bought it because I camp a lot, and I needed something that I didn't have to worry about. All of my other guitars are solid wood guitars. It has quickly become one that gets played at home when some of my others stay in the case. I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:39 PM

The OX is great for fingerstyle. Depending on your definition of "fingerstyle" and your definition of "great," of course.

The OM-like size, cutaway, tone, wide nut, and wide spacing at the bridge make it a very nice fingerstyle guitar. A shorter scale might be nice (especially for a noob like me with a poor reach), but some people like the longer scale.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber