The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM

I recently bought a NOS AJ-500m at a significant discount from a local dealer. The guitar was made in 2008. I am very pleased with the fit and finish and the tone. I can't find any flaws in the finish or on the inside. I couldn't be more pleased with what I got for the price. If I run into any problems with it down the line I'll remember I only paid 1/3 the price of a new Martin D-16 at MF and I suspect it's better than 1/3 as good as the Martin..
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
I don't know how they are scraping the tops at the factory for the installation of the bridge. If they are doing it by hand in a production environment this could be the reason for the bridge lifting. Martin, Taylor and Gibson all used to have the same problem until they all started removing the finish with a CNC router. The depth is preset with the router and this eliminates human judgement that some times leads to error. To achieve good adhesion the bridge and the top needs to be glued in a wood on wood joint. Because in most production guitar plants the body of the guitar is sprayed/finished before the neck and bridge is installed, the top has to be scraped clean down to the wood in the area of the bridge.

As far as comparing the inner structure of the guitar to the bridge I have scoped mine with the camera and I was very impressed as to what I saw. Scalloped braces with good clean tight fitting joints just like the pre WWII guitars that I have seen.

Mine is over a year old but in the eight months that I have had mine it has shown no problem with the bridge. With string tension on it and tuned to 440 it does show a slight bulge in the belly but so does any solid wood, thin top, scalloped braced, good sounding guitar. A slight bulge under tension is common and nothing to worry about.
they should be good. THE ONLY MASTERBILTS WITH THE BRIDGE LIFTING PROBLEMS WERE THE 12 FRET MODEL. THAT WAS ALL. NOW MAYBE SOME1 CAME ACROSS A PROBLEM ON ANOTHER MODEL BUT THAT WAS NOT COMMON. THJE 12 FRETS HAD A INHERIT PROBLEM THAT WAS NEVER FIXED AND THEY QUIT MAKING THEM FOR A LONG TIME. FOR SOME REASON THERE IS A PERSON ON THIS TOPIC WHO DOESNT GET THAT. GO TO THE GIBSON FORUMS AND READ up on it. i guarentee thats what you will find.
now most masterbilts are phenominal guitars fore the price. they leave silvercreeks behing in quality by 10000 percent.
just cant understand how some1 keeps saying they had a big bridge problem, it was only the rc model[12 fret]
Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM

I've had an AJ500RC for almost five years. Great sounding guitar, could use a setup as the action is a little high, but not so much it bothers me. The finish is a little thin in places, but for the price and the sound, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Masterbilt.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM

I bought a DR500r in september. It had a buzz that two luthiers couldn't fix along with frets that varied in height down the neck as well as sticking out of the neck.

I got it at GC and took it back and ended up getting a Martin DSR which I'm completely satisfied with.

I have a friend used had a AJ500m for a long time. He's never had any problems with it and loves it. I would make sure you either see it in person or get a lot of pictures if you're buying it online.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:46 PM

I know this is an old thread, but it would be great to hear some more long term experiences.

My Epiphone DR500M is 3 years old. I put in Tusq pins. Right now it is at the luthier getting the nut ground down. I kept breaking G strings.

So, the only investment so far is the Tusq pins, and some normal maintenance. I'd be willing to get the nut replaced, but the luthier said he could fix it.

I believe this guitar will be a long term keeper - may never get rid of it. The top and white trim have darkened - even the Tusq pins darkened on one side.

Still sounding great - I use Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Medium Lights.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Here's the nut job on my Epiphone DR500M - work by Seth Mayer at California Vintage in Van Nuys, CA. I had been breaking G strings.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

my son has had his AJ500RMNS for two years and still loves it. He gigs it with a Baggs M80.

Great guitar.

And now Epiphone is about to come out with a Masterbilt version of the J45.

I won't be able to resist that.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Do all Masterbilts have V necks?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 PM

My DR500M has the Slim "D" neck.

@themissal Did not hear that about a J-45 - very cool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion