The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 PM

How about you accept his suggestion to plug and re-drill and if the fix isn't invisible he replaces the fretboard?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 AM

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet...

How about the "middle way" approach - leave the board on, pull the frets, and route in fingerboard binding. Then, do the originally specified dot pattern on the new binding.

I'd rather do that than pull the whole board and replace it.
There will be no plugged holes to show (with ebony, I've found it common to see those holes telegraphing through the finish over time), and done properly it will look like the builder's intent from the get-go.

As a builder, I would personally prefer such an option over just plugging the holes - it's not a tremendous amount of work, and it avoids having a guitar out in the world with a mistake that can't always be explained in context. Long after the guitar is sold or traded, to someone who doesn't know the backstory, the builder's name is still on it, and anyone who finds the repairs, no matter how nicely done, will know that the builder goofed. I would want to avoid that if possible.

It's still most of a day's work if done carefully, but worth it IMO.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 10-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Keith View Post
...How about the "middle way" approach - leave the board on, pull the frets, and route in fingerboard binding. Then, do the originally specified dot pattern on the new binding...
It's not the side dots that are wrong. It's the dots on the face of the fretboard.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I was confused at first since I also thought that we were talking side dots and not front fret board face markers. I use the side dots and never pay attention to the face markers. My understanding was that they are mostly for when you are jamming with others. They can see what position you are playing in and determine the key pretty quickly. But, OP is entitled to receive a guitar that is in alignment with what he specified for whatever the given price.

Good luck, mercy. I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. Most guitar makers that I know would want a happy customer and their reputation intact even if it cost them some more time and materials.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 10-18-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 10-18-2017, 12:29 PM

Whether or not the board needs to be replaced is ultimately the OP's decision -- but if all the facts stated in this thread are accurate, I find the luthier's decision to ask for $250 to fix his own mistake completely unacceptable.

When you run a business, if you make a mistake, you're responsible for it.

If I were the OP, I would ask for my money back and commission another guitar from a more honourable builder.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Mercy - Agree with Joe

Aloha Mercy,

As a sometime luthier who's made 220 custom guitars & some 80 ukulele's for folks, I totally agree with Joe & others who would send the custom instrument back to the luthier & expect the inlays to be redone correctly, ASAP, with zero charge, as expected. He's responsible for his finished product. He must make this right - for free.

In fact, I would expect the luthier to pick up the roundtrip delivery charges as well.

I mean, the luthier's human, right? Mistakes & oversights can/do happen. No big deal right? But, luthier's are also business people who MUST stand by their instruments with their customers. Otherwise? No business. Right Jack? And of course, bad "word of mouth" in the small, fickle & fragile world of custom guitars is a luthier killer.

Give the luthier the chance to make this right for you, Mercy - the sooner the better so it doesn't get weirder - again, at no extra charge to you. That's what most luthiers would do.

Related story: I once inlayed a dedication into a custom curly koa ukulele I made for a boy in a coma (sadly, he never came out). I dealt mostly with his sweet aunties who'd commissioned the uke. Some had more than once referred to a "Roland" when talking story about the boy. So I inlaid, "For Roland, With Aloha." It was tasteful using green abalone, Koa & gold MOP in a nice font.

When I delivered that tenor instrument one morning, everyone truly loved it. Then one of the auntie's looked closer & asked, after seeing the inlay, "Who's Roland?"

Yikes! I almost died. For a second - if dark looks could kill - Ha! But then they quickly laughed & told me, No hu hu, it was OK -in true Hawaiian style. But it certainly was not OK for me. I felt terrible.

I was so embarrassed by my mistake that I redid the whole thing in my shop that day & had the finished instrument back to that family by late that evening, with the correct name newly inlayed, "For Reggie, With Aloha." They were all so cool about it.

Ya know, that family played that uke, sang & danced for Reggie everyday for the next six years that he lived. So much love in that family. Eh, lucky you live Hawaii, brah.

So, when you make a mistake in life - you make things right! And this is so easy to make right, Mr. Luthier, right? Make the call, Mercy - With Aloha.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 10-18-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I have always maintained that the original problem is rarely "the problem", it's the response to the problem that causes all the stress. I don't think the builder should have done anything other than admit to the mistake and remake the fretboard. It demonstrates a clear customer-focused attitude and provides a happy client a great story to tell about why someone else should do business with that builder. Suggesting a patch, or asking the client for additional money to fix their error will clearly end any desire for the OP to refer that builder. It's all about integrity...own the mistake, then fix it.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 AM

Im astonished the luthier purported to suggest charging the OP $250 to replace the fretboard when it was the luthier who did not take heed to the customer's instructions. It is irrelevant if the luthier considers that a minor mistake- what is important is what the customer wanted. It is a custom build and that means the luthier is bound to follow his customer's instructions and he has to bear the financial cost to make it right if he failed to do so. That means to replace the entire fretboard and do the inlaying right thia time. The customer has a right not to expect the patching solution the luthier had suggested to suit his own convenience and bottom line regardless of whether it is noticeable or not, and if that is true, then it does not reflect well on the luthier's integrity and professionalism to even make that suggestion.

Last edited by gitarro; 10-19-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:32 AM

Nice story Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I have always maintained that the original problem is rarely "the problem", it's the response to the problem that causes all the stress. I don't think the builder should have done anything other than admit to the mistake and remake the fretboard. It demonstrates a clear customer-focused attitude and provides a happy client a great story to tell about why someone else should do business with that builder. Suggesting a patch, or asking the client for additional money to fix their error will clearly end any desire for the OP to refer that builder. It's all about integrity...own the mistake, then fix it.
I agree with you but... What if I got into drilling the holes for the dot inlays and backed up a second and dope slapped myself because I was off center by 2mm. So then I filled it in and redrilled it perfectly and no one ever knew the difference?

You might be surprised how often things like that happens. I don't disclose to clients that I chipped out the rosewood binding and inlayed a piece in to fix it, for example. This kind of thing happens all the time.

In the case of the OP's guitar it can be fixed flawlessly, and in fact this kind of thing happens all the time without anyone knowing. Alohachris's example was quite extreme and that would never be fixable.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 AM

I have a happy outcome to report. The builder has gotten back to me and said he will replace the board and gave me the option of a refund if I wish. Thank you all again for helping me with this agonizing experience.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I have a happy outcome to report. The builder has gotten back to me and said he will replace the board and gave me the option of a refund if I wish. Thank you all again for helping me with this agonizing experience.
That's great news. I hope you're happy with your decision -- and encourage you to stop looking at the fret markers while playing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What if I got into drilling the holes for the dot inlays and backed up a second and dope slapped myself because I was off center by 2mm. So then I filled it in and redrilled it perfectly and no one ever knew the difference?

You might be surprised how often things like that happens. I don't disclose to clients that I chipped out the rosewood binding and inlayed a piece in to fix it, for example. This kind of thing happens all the time.

In the case of the OP's guitar it can be fixed flawlessly, and in fact this kind of thing happens all the time without anyone knowing. Alohachris's example was quite extreme and that would never be fixable.
As a customer, if I don't find out there's no harm done. However in this case the OP found out so it was too late to erase this image from his mind.

FWIW, I wish all luthiers made more money -- but in the end for most buyers this remains an expensive toy (even at the lower end of the spectrum). The client experience should be top notch from start to end.

Also FWIW, I couldn't cut a square properly so I don't mean to second guess the experts who gave their perspective -- but I looked at my ebony fretboards this morning and they're all some shade of dark brown with some amount of grain in it. Whoever can fix this so no one could ever tell it was fixed under any lighting condition is one heckuva skilled guy.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Whoever can fix this so no one could ever tell it was fixed under any lighting condition is one heckuva skilled guy.
Its a skill.

To give an example, this is not a guitar but a 15000 dollar bass clarinet, the customer wanted a hole relocated for intonation improvements, it meant a hole was left around 10mm in size, in the last photo a close up of the known hole is taken

It can be done, in the ops case I would have still just change the board and worn the cost myself.

1. original configuration.
2 Register fitting removed, new hole drilled
3 Old hole filled, register pip not fitted
4 Macro close up of old hole, register pip fitted to new hole

Steve

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-19-2017, 06:18 PM

That is truly remarkable, Steve. Thank you for sharing these photos.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Nice story Chris

I agree with you but... What if I got into drilling the holes for the dot inlays and backed up a second and dope slapped myself because I was off center by 2mm. So then I filled it in and redrilled it perfectly and no one ever knew the difference?

Along the lines of what Mau said, what I don't know, I don't know, and if nobody can tell, then there's nothing really to talk about. The OP knows, and that's the difference here. The client had enough angst to create a thread about it, that alone shows (to me) it would have been in the luthier's own best interest to replace rather than patch.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
That is truly remarkable, Steve. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Ditto! That is very cool. I am a believer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop