The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 PM

Default need advice...

Hello all,

I've got a Yamaha FS720 tobacco burst. I'm thinking about selling it or possibly trading it. The reasoning is that the neck is gloss finished and the string spacing may be too small.

The gloss finish causes my thumb to stick to the neck when trying to change chords or just move up and down the neck. Not real comfy...I've also played other rigs that have a wider string spacing and I find it to be extremely comfortable. But I can't spend any extra money on a new one right now.

So am I being too picky? Should I sell it and for how much? What recommendations do y'all have for something within the same price range with a wider string spacing? Anyone want to trade?

Thank you all who respond in advance.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM

You may want to check this thread out.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=348787

It's about the Alvarez AF30 - $230, om/folk sized, solid spruce top (very similar to your Yamaha) and with a 1.75" nut width. May be a good alternative, although I am unsure of the neck (gloss or satin) - easy enough to find online probably.

As far as trading, you will take a beating. More hassle, but you will come out better listing it on CL.

My favorite low-cost OM is the Ibanez ac240 opn. Solid Mahogany top w/mahogany B&S. Cost more, but very nice sounding guitar for not a lot more money. Bone nut and saddle + 1.75" nut width. I have yet to play a bad sounding one. & oh yeah, satin neck.

Good luck, Roy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 07-13-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: omission
Old 07-13-2014, 05:59 PM

You cannot change the neck width or string spacing, but you can change the feel on the back of the neck by lightly using some extra fine OOOO steel wool or 800 grit (or finer) sandpaper to break the glossy glaze.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion