The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-19-2014, 09:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Roger, congratulations! Merry Christmas AND happy Hanukkah all rolled into one sweet package.
Did you and Kathy discuss "joining" the two headstocks?
I know some early harp guitars have a small L bracket that can join the heads, or be removed if so desired. And some claim such a simple fixture really increases volume and sustain. Just looking at the pics it appears the two heads are separate. Yes?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I did build a case for my Dyer. I ordered a keyboard case from these folks, and simply asked that the foam innards not be sculpted, but be left "filled to the top." That actually reduced the price. Then I traced around my harp guitar and cut out the foam (I recommend a serrated bread knife!), bought fabric from a local shop, and glued the fabric with a hot glue gun. I even installed a humidifier.

It is heavy, but has wheels and has served me well when traveling to Harp Guitar Gatherings.

Awesome. Were you at the HGG in Coeur d'Alene? I wonder if we met
Old 12-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Never mind

Last edited by rogthefrog; 01-25-2021 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Awesome. Were you at the HGG in Coeur d'Alene? I wonder if we met
Alas, I missed that one. But, Stephen Bennett and I have now co-hosted 2 in Connecticut.

I do hope to join Randall and crowd in North Carolina next fall. I've got a pretty heavy travel schedule as was out of the country for HGG12.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Yes, they are separate, and I asked Kathy about it. She said she left them separate for now but would gladly and easily build a connector if needed. It didn't sound like she found those connectors necessary for sound purposes, more for structure.
I actually keep them separate for structural purposes. The harp arm moves a lot more when humidity changes, as evidenced by the bass strings going out of tune while the neck remains unchanged. If they were connected, I'd worry about the harp arm pulling on the neck and altering the action, especially in the long term.

Since the bass strings don't have frets, their geometry isn't critical, so it's fine for the harp arm to move around a bit as long as it doesn't affect the neck.

But better volume/sustain does seem possible with a connector, though I've never tried it myself. And if you maintain constant humidity, then there's no drawback to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop