The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 AM

Default Brassy and coppery strings?

I have noticed that some strings have more of a coppery look, whilst other are definitely brassy, almost gold in appearance. Clearly, the alloy mixes are different. What's going on? how are the alloy mixes different percentage wise etc? How do the two differ in tone?

FWIW, my own experience is that often, cheaper strings look coppery, and more expensive ones look brassy. I don't know how true that is across the board however, or if it is significant.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 09-03-2011, 05:25 AM

Default Easy question

80/20 strings are brass, and are more yellow in color. They tend to be quite bright, especially when new. John Pearse 80/20 are very fine. Martin cryogenic 80/20 are also tops.

Phosphor bronze strings are a bit more orange/gold color, depending on the formulation of the wrap-wire. Some are darker than others.

Because of the variation in phosphor bronze wrap-wires, there is quite a range of tonal difference. GHS pb strings sound pretty dull to me, but DR Sunbeams sound bright and warm. My favorite phosphor strings are the Martins. Fine balance and last forever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion