The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 AM

Default Does Gibson still ship all their acoustics with 80/20s?

There's a post in the official Gibson forum from back in 2013 where someone asked Gibson what strings were put on at the factory for the J-45 Standard. A reply came back from a Gibson rep stated all Gibson acoustics ship with Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20s 12s (Light)

Does anyone know why Gibson would have made this decisions. I have always thought PBs were more popular. Can anyone think of why Gibson may have switched from PB to 80/20?

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I bought both my Gibsons within the last couple of months and I assume they shipped with the strings you have pictured there. I'm basing that on the fact that there was an extra set in the compartment of the guitar cases. I don't know for sure because I had the Gibson dealer who I purchased both guitars from do set ups before they were shipped to me. That set up included having the stock strings switched to Elixir PB Lights on both guitars. Couldn't agree with you more than PBs are the way to go.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Guest 728

The last two Gibsons I bought were strung with Masterbilt 80/20s and included a spare pack. I'm not really a fan of 80/20s, but they sounded pretty good on those guitars (J-35 and LG-2).
Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 PM

I'm more curious as to why light gauge and not mediums?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 PM

Curious why anyone would care. Don't you just put on the strings you want to use when you buy a guitar and do the initial setup?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:58 PM

I recently asked a Gibson dealer about strings from the factory. His answer was "It's marketing".

The consensus seems to be that Gibsons are shipped with lights because it gives them a competitive advantage in "feel" when compared to another make strung up with mediums. Most will find the 12's more comfortable & easier to play.

Also, 80/20's in general are slightly brighter than PB.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpl man View Post
The consensus seems to be that Gibsons are shipped with lights because it gives them a competitive advantage in "feel" when compared to another make strung up with mediums. Most will find the 12's more comfortable & easier to play.
Hmmmmm...but if they sound better with mediums then that puts Gibson at a competitive disadvantage, right?

Isn't it possible they come with lights because that's what they were designed to play? Sure sound good on my Gibbys.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-16-2016, 02:46 PM

I do like Gibson strings, sound great on their guitar for sure, nice feel to them. The ones I have recently played all were light gauge. I believe D'Addario makes the core string and Gibson just rebrands them? Could be wrong here, for sure.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I bought both my Gibsons within the last couple of months and I assume they shipped with the strings you have pictured there. I'm basing that on the fact that there was an extra set in the compartment of the guitar cases. I don't know for sure because I had the Gibson dealer who I purchased both guitars from do set ups before they were shipped to me. That set up included having the stock strings switched to Elixir PB Lights on both guitars. Couldn't agree with you more than PBs are the way to go.
A friend bought a new J-45 a couple months ago and it had the same strings in the case as well.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:52 PM

I've tried probably a dozen different strings on my J-35 (mostly in PB) and I always come back to the Masterbuilt 80/20s. They are a little bright but are perfectly balanced on that guitar in my opinion. .12 is what I use and what came on my 2013.

The Elixers in PB would be my second choice -- the Elixers in 80/20 and Masterbuilts in PB both were horrendous.

Anyway, I would think that first impressions are the most important element of marketing a guitar. I would think that string choice would be a variable that manufacturers put much thought into as many guitars are bought on the spot after hearing how good one sounds. I always pay attention to what strings were on a guitar when I found it so compelling.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 AM

The 80/20's were on my 2016 J-45 Vintage as well.

They are pretty balanced in comparison to other 80/20's which tend to sound a bit weaker than PB to me. Only other OK sounding ones were Elixir Nanoweb 80/20.

What I like about the 80/20's is that they do not have too much overtones but more of a fundamental sound. But from volume and overall fullness perspective I prefer PB. Elixir PB, John Pearse 600L and D'Addario EJ-16 is what I liked so far.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:04 PM

80/20 are the strings when you want bright tone. i like them on jumbos that already have lots of mellow overtones.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Curious why anyone would care. Don't you just put on the strings you want to use when you buy a guitar and do the initial setup?
One reason that someone would care is so they know the baseline they started with. I like to know what the strings are on a guitar I purchase because I obviously liked the sound when purchased. Then during or after extensive string testing, if I still like how it originally sounded over any of the string tests, I can go back to original. That can be important to one's enjoyment. Also, if a buyer just loves the strings, they can buy more of the same.

I also thought from my Gibson experience that they shipped with Masterbuilt PB lights. That's what i've always preferred on my Gibsons whether J-15, J-35 or J-45 (both Rosewood and Mahogany).

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 03-04-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Hmmmmm...but if they sound better with mediums then that puts Gibson at a competitive disadvantage, right?

Isn't it possible they come with lights because that's what they were designed to play? Sure sound good on my Gibbys.
The reason Gibson guitars ship with light gauge strings is exactly as stated: to give them a slight competitive advantage in playability in the show room. As for what they were “designed for,” they’re designed to sound fine whether they’re strung with either lights or mediums. By continuing to use light gauge strings it’s not as though you’re following some secret master plan, you’re simply using the strings you’re most comfortable using.

Just as I feel most comfortable using mediums on all the Gibson guitars I’ve owned. It all comes down to the way you play, nothing more planned or convoluted than that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM

It’s nice that Gibson and at least Yamaha use 80/20s on new guitars. They are the pre-1974 benchmark standard, neutral in allowing the potential purchaser to hear the guitar *clearly* without all the added colour of phosphor bronze. A typical complaint of 80/20s is that they are too bright, but after settling in with uncoated, are excellent. I use EJ11s all around.

Last edited by Jaden; 03-04-2018 at 01:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion