The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Default I Dream of Wires

Ah ah, I know what you're thinking, but in this case it's patch cords, not guitar strings. I Dream of Wires is a documentary history of analog synths and their use in the electronic music universe. It's pretty fascinating, and I recommend it to anyone who like me is interested in history and in anything that makes music. It's on Netflix now which is how I heard about it.

I don't have much synth background, I remember playing a Poly 61 during a stint in an 'electronic synthesizer ensemble', along with some kind of tiny string module, I wish I could remember what that was. I also owned a 'Proteus I', I think a piano student pawned it off on me when she was cleaning out her attic. I dinked around on it for a couple of years, it was neat but I 'donated' it to some community garage sale because I needed space. The thing was no bigger than a mini Moog and all you had to do was plug it into an amp, I really should have kept it. Ahh, the analog unlove.

Apparently the interest in analog is coming back, there is some pretty crazy equipment being built these days. Some of these people have terminal Analog Acquisition Syndrome, or maybe it's Analog Synthesizer Syndrome??
Old 08-30-2015, 03:25 PM

LoL I guess there aren't many electronic music fans 'round these parts. Why am I surprised?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

My sister just mentioned this documentary in an email. I'll watch it.

I was primarily a keyboard player in the 70s & secondarily a rhythm & slide guitar player & harmony singer; there were interesting keyboard-based machines to make noise with back then but some were so-o-o-o-o complicated. I mostly stuck with my crazy heavy Fender Rhodes Mark I.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 08-30-2015, 05:52 PM

Yep especially the modulars. Some of those things took up a whole room, you did not take it with you, anywhere. The Mini Moog was more like it for most musicians. The Buchla was a whole area that I knew nothing about, I found that fascinating. They didn't spend a lot of time with early electronica as used by people like Milton Babbit and Louis and Bebe Baron, it was mainly focused on Moog and Buchla and everything that came after.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic