The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-19-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Classical nut repair

I bought my classical a while back and it came with Savarezstrings. not sure of size and model.I noticed the G was dead sounding. I changed the strings to a ball end LaBella 830 and the G still sounds dead. I noticed today that the G does not fit in the slot like the others. see pics. I have a set of Savarez 520 R but would like to get the G string issue resolved. Thanks for advice.https://photos.shutterfly.com/full/72363240710
Epiphone ej200 sce
J Navarro nc-61
Yamaha fg-730
Old 11-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

If you are not a tool junky and don't have files of various types, the best way I know to widen the slot (be careful not to make it deeper), is to put some sticky sandpaper (maybe 180 or 220 grit) on a thin metal ruler. I have a bunch of 6" ones that I use all the time. Then just widen the slot a little by sanding the walls a bit. Probably won't take a lot. Don't put sandpaper on the edge of the ruler, just on the side or sides. Keep testing with the g sting, and widen till it fits comfortably, and seats on the bottom of the nut slot.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:36 PM

http://s177.photobucket.com/user/Mrs...00032.jpg.html

This link should work
Epiphone ej200 sce
J Navarro nc-61
Yamaha fg-730
Old 11-27-2016, 04:10 PM

The strings should really not set into the slot, but only 1/3 of the diameter of the string. You might file the top of the nut so the slots are not so deep and find it may work. If it needs to be a little larger a cheap small file set with a round tapered file will to the trick. Just use the point that is small using small movements to widen the top. With it filed down it won't take much.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
The strings should really not set into the slot, but only 1/3 of the diameter of the string. You might file the top of the nut so the slots are not so deep and find it may work. If it needs to be a little larger a cheap small file set with a round tapered file will to the trick. Just use the point that is small using small movements to widen the top. With it filed down it won't take much.
I think that is a matter of opinion, not a fact. My slots are as deep as the string, most of the time, as I prefer that look. I just make sure they are wide enough to accommodate the thickness of the string.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaddyT View Post
I think that is a matter of opinion, not a fact. My slots are as deep as the string, most of the time, as I prefer that look. I just make sure they are wide enough to accommodate the thickness of the string.
This is very true, I was lucky to own two Ramirez 1a guitars, a 1978 and a 1995, they both had the very Spanish style tall square nut with the slots cut with a triangular file. The bone nut was well polished but the strings were well below the top. Because of the V shape it didn't matter what gauge string you used, the string would not bind. Eventually the bottom of the slot became rounded, particularly on the wound bass strings. There was never any issue with string buzz. I changed strings hundreds of times with no problems.
That being said, when I began building my own instruments, I made the string nuts more compact, with the string slots about half the depth of the strings height. It seems more workmanlike to me, but it's hard to argue with the legendary and incredible workmanship of Ramirez guitars also.
To answer the OP's inquiry, ideally the string slots should be only slightly larger than the gauge of string being used, and should angle slightly back toward the tuning machine roller. There should be no sharp edges, especially at the front (fingerboard side) of the nut. Judging by the photos supplied by the OP, the string slots seem perhaps a bit tight at the front edge, but also seen well angled towards the roller. As advised by everyone here, take very little with each pass of the file until the string flows freely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair