The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Introducing Ted Dubrawski, Apprentice to Raymond Kraut

Howdy Folks, I wanted to spread the word and give everyone a heads up about an ultra talented new Luthier to the scene and supper cool fellow.... Ted Dubrawski... People who attended the Santa Barbara Show may have seen him manning the fort at Raymond Krauts booth, which is where I personally met him. After some time adoring Rays guitars and drooling over them, I noticed a tall stoic dude in a rad hat hanging out, eventually we stared talking and I learned he was Ray's first apprentice! How cool...! Raymond Kraut has one of my favorite aesthetics ever, builds an "incredibly superb" sounding guitar, and he's such a good dude.. I was supper stoaked for Ted that he got dialed in with Ray... Anyways, after hanging for a bit I asked about his personal builds and learned his recently finished #2 was under the table, how convenient! Lol... I think it's an official fact that for a second build this thing TOPS the charts, Heck, might as well been a #200th build... you know what I'm saying, it was just awesome, take a look below, pics tell the tale... and it sounded just as it should, like a fine hand built Luthiers instrument with all the finest tonal properties and qualities... Ted being a Los Angles native, came down after the show for some family time, and we got to hang a bit at my home and play a bunch of guitars... I got to jam his build under close inspection of my own couch! Lol.... mucho impressed.... for real, heads up Folks, this dudes gonna be building some winners!

I asked Ted if he had some pics so I can show off to the AGF world and he sent me some along with a short bio which I'll attach below... 👍🏼

*Ted Dubrawski is the first apprentice to Raymond Kraut. Before graduating from Roberto-Venn School of Luthiery in the Spring of 2015, he spent six years repairing and modifying guitars, while pursuing a career as a musician.

Ted finished the first year of his apprenticeship at the Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration, and is focusing the next chapter of his apprenticeship on design and responsiveness.

His second build of his apprenticeship is a non-cut-away mahogany OM based on elements of Raymond Kraut’s shape. The asymmetrical sound hole is accented by a rosette that incorporates African Blackwood, Rosewood purfling, thin fiber paper pin-lines, and a stabilized Bog Oak that was carbon-dated as almost 6000 years old.*

Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM

I really enjoyed meeting Ted and spending some time with him at the show, too. I wish I'd been able to hear the guitar better, but I remember it being supremely comfortable to play. The necks on Ray and Ted's guitars were my two favorites there. Look at that detail work. Incredible.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:34 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Cool soundhole and rosette! Looking forward to following along.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:41 AM

I met Ted at the SBAIC, nice guy. Love his sense of aesthetic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop