The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Guest4562

I have both, and we tend to use the Bose L1C more than the PA. The vocals sound crystal clear but I do have to notch out some mids on the guitar. Everything goes through a small board before it hits the Bose. I think that if we get some venues that require the larger system I'll buy another L1C rather than take my conventional PA.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM

I'll add my perspective with the L1, L1S (mid size) and the LII (big one), though keep in mind that I've nowhere the gigging experience that the others have, like AlohaChris. I have used all 3 amps over the last 7 years.

First experience was playing classical guitar on a borrowed LII to 200 people at an outdoor wedding, with the the audience spread out over 1/2 acre. Was that fabulous! According to reports, I could be heard clearly by everyone (even a block away) and to my ears, sitting in front of the speakers, the sound was perfect, and I never sounded better. But the whole system is too heavy for me to easily lug around, and overkill for small groups, to whom I usually play.

Then I started using a borrowed L1 for a lot of small gigs, mostly indoors some outdoors, and using steel string directly run into the amp. It badly needed a preamp, but as this was borrowed equipment, I didn't have it. Nothing is easier to set up and use, and its quite adequate for quite a few people, indoors or out (played to 100 people outside for example),but there's no way it can slice through a noisy environment.

Then a couple years ago, I finally bought my own Bose: L1S (the mid-range model) with the T1 pre (comes as package) and that's my resting point as far as PA's are concerned. Played outside to a lot of people, easy to setup, the preamp is fabulous, 4 inputs, and perfect for guitar, vocals. What's not to like? But its not cheap with the pre. Not quite as portable as the compact. I did have one experience playing in a really noisy environment, and as AlohaChris said, it couldn't penetrate the noise like other amps could. But that type of crowd is more of a rarity for me. And I don't view music as a contact sport, so blasting the audience is not a necessity for me. Generally, the audience raves about the sound from Bose, because everyone can hear clearly, and the music is not too loud. To that extent, it lives up to its advertising.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:34 AM

I started with just one K8 because of that and quickly picked up another one. Depending on your needs, you may only need the K8s, which are a little cheaper but sound amazing and have surprising bass response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normonster View Post
Yep. I think I need a pair as well. They are expensive though!! OMG. I think I'll start with just one...lol.

Thank you everybody for your replies.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:44 AM

One other quick remark about the K8s:

Because they're so popular among DJs, you can get a nice road case that will hold both of them. Now, the case is heavier than both the speakers combined, but it sure it nice to just wheel them around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification