The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-25-2016, 07:37 PM

Default My First Commission

I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning with Lucio Nunez at his shop in San Antonio. Lucio makes classical, flamenco, Maccaferri, and archtop guitars, among other musical instruments.
I found his web site, and checked everything I could find, and had decided to see him about this.
It will be his Balbina classical guitar with cocobolo b&s and cedar top. Sloane Classical tuners, ebony fretboard, EIR bridge, lattice bracing, and double sides. His 3 models of classicals are basically the same, but different wood choices. Also, he will do fan struts, lattice, double top if the customer wants that. He uses 2 carbon fiber pieces in the neck, but no truss rod.
I got to play one of his instruments yesterday, and fell in love with the sound.
I didn't ask him to provide pictures, as he's pretty busy like most luthiers, but if he sends some, I'll post them, and I will post after it's received and settled in.
I've been building steel strings (4 so far - 3 in the works), so I haven't bought one yet from the luthiers here on AGF. If I do, it will be one from Stephen Kinnaird. He and Ryan have been my friends for 4-5 years now, so, if I finally figure out that I can't figure it out, I'll holler at them
I'm going to travel back to San Antonio as soon as he gives me the word that it's ready.

Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 10-26-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning with Lucio Nunez at his shop in San Antonio. Lucio makes classical, flamenco, Maccaferri, and archtop guitars, among other musical instruments.
I found his web site, and checked everything I could find, and had decided to see him about this.
It will be his Balbina classical guitar with cocobolo b&s and cedar top. Sloane Classical tuners, ebony fretboard, EIR bridge, lattice bracing, and double sides. His 3 models of classicals are basically the same, but different wood choices. Also, he will do fan struts, lattice, double top if the customer wants that. He uses 2 carbon fiber pieces in the neck, but no truss rod.
I got to play one of his instruments yesterday, and fell in love with the sound.
I didn't ask him to provide pictures, as he's pretty busy like most luthiers, but if he sends some, I'll post them, and I will post after it's received and settled in.
I've been building steel strings (4 so far - 3 in the works), so I haven't bought one yet from the luthiers here on AGF. If I do, it will be one from Stephen Kinnaird. He and Ryan have been my friends for 4-5 years now, so, if I finally figure out that I can't figure it out, I'll holler at them
I'm going to travel back to San Antonio as soon as he gives me the word that it's ready.

Bob
Very nice! Keep us posted on this. I'm always curious about builders that I haven't heard about.

My next flamenco will likely be by a builder named Johnny Walker, since we share the same name.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Very nice! Keep us posted on this. I'm always curious about builders that I haven't heard about.

My next flamenco will likely be by a builder named Johnny Walker, since we share the same name.
He's in Oklahoma isn't he? I watched a video of someone who bought one of his classicals saying how much she liked it. Not sure if she played anything or not.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Yup.... that's the guy. I've corresponded with him and he seems like a great guy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical