The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-25-2016, 06:15 PM

Default Looking at a new German Vazquez (G.V.) Rubio

estuido in a spruce with P.E. back and sides. Not very familiar with this luthier, but the sound clip is great, and what I've heard on youtube sounds really good as well. Anyone here had some experience with his guitars?
G.V. Rubio Estudio
Rainsong Shorty
Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I've never played one of his guitars, but I can tell you that GV Rubio is an enormously respected luthier and is held in high regard by many people whose opinions I trust. I can't predict that you would find it to be your perfect mate, but if I were you, I would be extremely confident that you would be getting a very fine instrument.
-Bob
Old 10-26-2016, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I have one and love it! In my search for a reasonably priced high-quality classical guitar, there was nothing else comparable to this instrument in its price range. Mine is an Estudio model with European Spruce top and Palo Escrito back & sides. I ordered mine with a 640MM scale length and a 50MM nut width. It is a true luthier built guitar, and an amazing value. I purchased mine through Guitars International in Cleveland, OH. Armin Kelly is the founder/proprietor and was great to work with...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 10-26-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

A beautiful instrument there DrPlayer! Thanks for those yummy pics.

I would have NO issue ordering a GV Rubio instrument sight-unseen based solely on the reputation of that builder. Even if you ended-up outgrowing it... I would imagine that it would hold its value well.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I've never played one of his guitars, but I can tell you that GV Rubio is an enormously respected luthier and is held in high regard by many people whose opinions I trust. I can't predict that you would find it to be your perfect mate, but if I were you, I would be extremely confident that you would be getting a very fine instrument.
-Bob
Agree on all counts.

-CW
Old 10-30-2016, 03:33 AM

Armin up at International Guitars was great to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate on a Rubio. I had one but sold it years go for financial reasons. It is one I miss. If you buy from Armin I think there is a trial period, not that you'll probably need it.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the positive responses. I've put the order in and hope to have a NGD thread started shortly.
G.V. Rubio Estudio
Rainsong Shorty
Old 10-30-2016, 02:45 PM

I've owned two GV Rubio classicals, one spruce / Indian RW Hauser model and the other spruce / Brazilian RW custom (with a walnut neck). Both were far and away fantastic instruments with a lively tone and flawless workmanship. I could have easily lived forever with either except for this disease I have that forces me to continually buy and sell guitars. Someone help me.

Seriously O/P, you chose well.

Cincy
Old 10-30-2016, 05:39 PM

Thank you for the reference to Guitars International in Cleveland. He's only about 1 1/2 hours north of me, and I went to the web site - SERIOUS "eye candy" there! I believe I could spend an entire day there just looking at those beautiful instruments. I may have to take a "road trip!"
Old 10-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
Thank you for the reference to Guitars International in Cleveland. He's only about 1 1/2 hours north of me, and I went to the web site - SERIOUS "eye candy" there! I believe I could spend an entire day there just looking at those beautiful instruments. I may have to take a "road trip!"
Just so you know (if you don't already), Guitars International is in Armin's home, not a store front, so visits are by appointment only.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical