The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-21-2016, 08:06 PM

Default Played a Taylor NS44 ce today, wow!

Very impressed with used Taylor hybrid at GC today. Extra width made it easier for my old fingers to chord and fingerpick. Sounded good unplugged and really good plugged into a small Fishman. Will pick up next week and hope the Martin does not get jealous. jim
Old 10-31-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwine View Post
Very impressed with used Taylor hybrid at GC today. Extra width made it easier for my old fingers to chord and fingerpick. Sounded good unplugged and really good plugged into a small Fishman. Will pick up next week and hope the Martin does not get jealous. jim
nice - I have a NS74 which is one of my gigging guitars. Very easy to play, incredible tone... I'm a fan of the Taylor Nylon series..
Old 10-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I've been intrigued with nylon string guitars and wanted to toy around with a hybrid. I love the feel of my Taylors and, so, a Taylor NS seems a logical choice.

I just released my fifth guitar (again) as five always seems to be too many for me. So, I was half-heartedly looking for a refurb/rescue/restore/repair project guitar to play it for a bit and see if I bond with it.

Well, today or tomorrow a Taylor NS32ce is arriving - one that needs a bunch of repairs that are right up my alley. This will be a fun workshop project and will be a fun chance to explore owning a hybrid.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-31-2016, 02:21 PM

I had an NS34ce for about ten years, and enjoyed it a lot. It came in real "handy" for hand rehab four years ago. I started back with ukulele, then used the NS34 to work up strength and dexterity again, then finally moved into steel strings again.

The hybrid is a much easier adaptation for a steel string player, with the radiused 1-7/8" neck. I thumb-over a lot playing Peidmont blues and ragtime, so a pure classical is pretty tough to work with.

I ended up selling the NS34 because after the rehab it just wasn't getting much play time. It now lives in Oz where American guitars are REALLY pricey, and buying used from the US represents a pretty good deal down under. Sometimes I miss it, but I have an old Silvertone that can wear nylon strings on occasion and scratches the itch - for the price of ball-end nylon strings only. Not ideal, but workable. Good luck with your project.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

A few months ago, I purchased a used 2012 Taylor Fall Limited Edition GAce-N-fltd nylon string guitar from one of our local GCs, mint condition, with original brown Taylor case. It is a really nice instrument - definitely a keeper. I use D'Addario EJ-44 extra hard tension strings on it. They seem to work best for me. I can echo what other posters have said about ease of playability, quality, etc. A very worthwhile purchase. I would not wait too long to purchase that instrument, it may go sooner than you might think. I jumped on mine right away.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical