The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Default New powerbank has just right specs for buskers

$375
300w pure sine
21v/48ah battery
6-8 hr charge times
Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 PM

http://tinyurl.com/hk4zlpz
Old 10-21-2016, 02:25 PM

Autocorrect typo. 26.8ah Lipo battery. Will run a loudbox Mini for 7-8 hours.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:50 PM

It's cool.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 PM

Doing some more research on what's currently available in pure sine, lithium powerbanks that are powerful enough for buskers, I came across this one tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Ultra-S...ker+powerhouse

Here's a review that lists its specs. If all of this is true, this is the absolute least expensive, $295, 500 watt pure sine, 12v/26ah, self contained powerbank I've ever seen.

>>>
The UPS power source is quite compact. Additional info of the product can be found on a label attached near the handle. It described the item as a 12V 26AH 288W lithium ion battery with a pure sine wave form AC 110V inverter rated at 500W. UPS blackout response time is <5ms. This is all good. It also shows info on the manufacturer and product support email and web site ([...], manufactured by SZATL ET LTD, Shenzhen, China). I came across some initial charging issue and contacted the seller on Amazon. I didn't get any response. The myatoto.com web site listed only android auto multimedia system and no info on this UPS. I suppose if you want product support you need to email the support directly. There are also many certification labels on the case.
I did a full charge on the UPS and it took about 6 hours to reach 12.5V. The LED however showed 100% charge after 2 hours and it read 12.1V. The charge indicator showed green meaning a full charge after 4.5 hours and my voltmeter read 12.4V. I believed the charge% meter is not calibrated correctly. It is a small issue as long as you use the unit as a UPS backup and always plugged in. The charge% meter is not reliable if the item is used as a stand alone power source. Always check with a voltmeter on the lithium battery.
I did a discharge test by plugging a 60W table lamp to the AC inverter. The battery was at 100%, 12.5V and after 2 hours, it dropped to 97% and 11.4V. After 3 hours, it further dropped to 86% and 11.4V. I stopped the test after 4.5 hours and at 11.1V. The lamp was still on so I roughly concluded that the battery supported 4.5 hours lighting and was at least (60 W x 4.5H) 260 watts. It is a keep<<<
Old 10-28-2016, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

We have been using a deep charge lead acid Marine battery from Walmart and a pure sine inverter from Amazon for a couple of months now and have had no problems running a PA, Bass Amp and a pedal board with a Beat Buddy, a Zoom A3 and a Boomerang 3 Looper for over 4 hours.

The battery is stowed away inside a "battery box", also from Walmart and the Inverter is mounted to the top of the battery box.

The only drawback is how heavy it is!

I have about $200 invested in it. I thought I would experiment with mobility and the freedom to not be near an outlet.

That ATOTO on Amazon at 7.5 pounds looks pretty sweet. As lithium battery prices come down more options for busking musicians will become available.

Last edited by 8daypsalmist; 10-28-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:59 AM

Interested to know which inverter you're using and how well your battery voltage holds up at higher levels, later in your set.

Looking at all of these new powerbanks coming out is leading me to think that voltages higher than 12v might be the better way to go, to guard against power sagging at high draws, especially once the batteries voltage has been drawn down under 11.5 volts in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8daypsalmist View Post
We have been using a deep charge lead acid Marine battery from Walmart and a pure sine inverter from Amazon for a couple of months now and have had no problems running a PA, Bass Amp and a pedal board with a Beat Buddy, a Zoom A3 and a Boomerang 3 Looper for over 4 hours.

The battery is stowed away inside a "battery box", also from Walmart and the Inverter is mounted to the top of the battery box.

The only drawback is how heavy it is!

I have about $200 invested in it. I thought I would experiment with mobility and the freedom to not be near an outlet.

That ATOTO on Amazon at 7.5 pounds looks pretty sweet. As lithium battery prices come down more options for busking musicians will become available.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:25 PM

Reviewing the specs on the Atoto and I see that the inverter is rated for 350w continuous and 500w peaks (no spec for how long it'll hold 500w). Still quite powerful enough to use with almost any acoustic amp I know of.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

This is the one we are using...

https://www.amazon.com/Power-TechON-...rtech+inverter

A PowerTech PS1001 Pure Wave Inverter 600W

I don't have a volt meter on it to see what kinda "gas is left in the tank". To test it prior to the first gig, I loaded it with our gear playing through a looper for 6 hours. I checked the voltage after, it still showed over 12v charge on the battery.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:57 PM

And anothertoday. This one with a 220w pure sine inverter and a 12v/20ah battery at 5.5lbs and $200:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018GE8JPY?psc=1

I'd say that this is the absolute lower limit for busker's usefulness, if the specs are real that is:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018GE8JPY?psc=1

Mix this with a Bugera AC60 and you should have a $450 busking system that'll last for at least 5 hours and should mercilessly beat any relatively affordable OEM battery powered amp out there (with the probable exception of the big two: Acus one for street and AER compact mobile).

I haven't tried any of these components yet, just going by what I can glean from reviews of owners. Sweetwater for the Bugera and Amazon for the power supplies.

Last edited by dannyg1; 11-03-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in your keeping us up to date, at least over the next year or so, how the inverter's working for you and if you notice anything about its performance that's worth noting. It'll be good for the collective us out there to know which inverters are good and which aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8daypsalmist View Post
This is the one we are using...

https://www.amazon.com/Power-TechON-...rtech+inverter

A PowerTech PS1001 Pure Wave Inverter 600W

I don't have a volt meter on it to see what kinda "gas is left in the tank". To test it prior to the first gig, I loaded it with our gear playing through a looper for 6 hours. I checked the voltage after, it still showed over 12v charge on the battery.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:00 PM

After a bit more research, I've found that Saouki makes another, more powerful version of the little powerbank I posted earlier today and these two devices are sharing the same review page. I can't tell which reviews are for which product (at least some of the time).

The bigger one, at 400wh (Around 12v/50ah), is more interesting to me and it's a fancier, more spec'd out unit. It does cost $379 though and weighs a bit more:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...dhp_bw_c_x_1_w

Both of these share good reviews (From the one's I can figure out which box they're reviewing) so I guess it may not really matter. I do have to say though, the idea of being able to put together a very portable system for $450 really is intriguing. I'm going to go hunt for a Bugera AC60 to test against my Loudbox Mini, just to confirm that it can keep up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification