The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default Difference between Eastman pagelli models

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/pagelli-signature-series/

Are the differences purely cosmetic?

Also, they seem like a good deal. Anyone own one?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:09 PM

I would say so. The only differences are the color of the finish and the pickguard material.

Never played one, but they look nice. Eastman archtops are highly regarded for quality/price ratio.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
I would say so. The only differences are the color of the finish and the pickguard material.

Never played one, but they look nice. Eastman archtops are highly regarded for quality/price ratio.

Not nearly as high a quality/price ratio as the Yunzhis, apparently ... they are supposed the same doggone thing without the Eastman label for about 1/3 of the price ....
Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-NJ View Post
Not nearly as high a quality/price ratio as the Yunzhis, apparently ... they are supposed the same doggone thing without the Eastman label for about 1/3 of the price ....
I saw those too, but the website is so confusing.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I saw those too, but the website is so confusing.
No question. They are super sketchy at English.

I took a leap of faith and ordered one a couple weeks ago. Wrote up a detailed spec. $1,000 delivered, for the equivalent of what would cost about thrice that if it said "Eastman". For that price, they're even doing a custom headstock logo.

It may or may not actually appear, and of course it may or may not be a total POS if/when it does show up. I ordered an all-acoustic one since everyone says that their woodwork is an order of magnitude better than their electronics (which apparently is exactly the same with Eastman).

I figure it's worth a shot and will report back! This could be brilliant or it could be a total joke!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:47 PM

I do hope your Yunzhi goes as well as my six have. And those of friends over on the jazz guitar forum. I predict you are in for some good amazement on what can be had for a grand if you know where to look. Of course, good, bad, or ugly we're all looking forward to your full report.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 PM

Default Eastman quality

I have not played the model in question but I bought an Eastman 810 last year, un-cut, un amplified. I've owned some quality guitars in my time and this one has totally impressed me. I see their prices are going up and that's unfortunate. The one I bought was a discontinued model ( too Mother Maybelle looking for most modern players I guess). I couldn't be happier and I came to Eastman pretty skeptical.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 PM

The pup inadequacy bothers me. I would really want to use it amplified.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:38 AM

I put Armstrong 12 pole handmade's in a couple of my Yunzhi's. K&K archtop in another. K&K Definity in another. There are many interesting options to get amplified.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:15 PM

Thanks! Great advice everyone.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-NJ View Post
Yunzhis are NOT the same as Eastmans.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-16-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post

Jimmy

They were once one company. The two owners chose to part ways and split up the workers, facilities, and wood. While there are unique models, the Pagelli being one of them, they both build hand carved archtops based on Benedetto designs. Bracing, base dimensions, materials are very similar.

Of course, Yunzhi has a different business model and allows the customer to specify size, bindings, inlays, finish, ports, and other spec's. That and they are quite a bit less expensive than Eastman now that the latter has become well established in the US market.

Last edited by Spook; 07-16-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Jimmy

Why do you say that? Because you own one? Because it says "Eastman" on the headstock? Dude, thou dost kid thyself. They are made via identical processes and have not only identical levels of craftsmanship but many details that are extremely similar. And, somewhat comically, the stock electronics on both are a joke.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:24 PM

All I said is that they are not the "SAME". No quality difference was specified as I don't know and have never had an Yunzhi. I do find it funny that Yunzhi is copying Eastman.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 07-26-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
All I said is that they are not the "SAME". No quality difference was specified as I don't know and have never had an Yunzhi. I do find it funny that Yunzhi is copying Eastman.

Jimmy
Actually, Yunzhi isn't copying Eastman. They are both building copies of Benedetto designs. They were doing this before the company split and before Eastman became popular. In truth, with the exception of some odd special models, they are as equivalent as two guitar factories could be. The differences are things like nitro formulations (Yunzhi is better) and hardware (Eastman is better). There aren't differences in basic design, wood, or woodworking. Of course, if you measure quality by the features you get like the quality of the binding, bound F holes, ebony overlays on the back of the headstock, and features on demand like ports, Yunzhi's are much nicer guitars.

Don't know if it's your intent and I don't seek to create a strawman to argue for or against, but it seems you are struggling for something negative to say about Yunzhi. However, your lack of insight seems to be representing something of an impediment in this endeavor. Why not just take vicarious pleasure in the fact that those of us who have these guitars enjoy them and form your technical opinions after you've had a chance to handle a few?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops