The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Default Clearification Please. Semi Hollow Body?

Do the semi-hollow body guitars qualify as Archtops? Consider the Gibson ES-335.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engleman View Post
Do the semi-hollow body guitars qualify as Archtops? Consider the Gibson ES-335.
Yes. Some might disagree though.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 PM

Not if it's a flat hollowbody.

Flat as a pancake.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 AM

I would consider the 335 and similar an "archtop electric" versus an "archtop acoustic" that wouldn't be semi-hollow. The reason for a semi-hollow is to reduce feedback.

And of course there are archtop electrics without a center block just to add to the confusion. Most of these guitars and archtop acoustics have two internal top braces running the length of the body parallel with the neck, where most flattops have X bracing.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM

I never call a 335 an archtop, because if I do I dilute the word so much that it's no longer a useful description.

Even "electric archtop" seems a poor fit because then how do you differentiate a 335 from a 175?

I really like 335 style guitars, but they don't cover any of the audio or musical space of more traditional archtops like L-5s or ES-175s, so why use the same word for them? Words are important, and we shouldn't waste the ones that we have. (Especially here on the Forum where it can be assumed we're all pretty knowledgeable about the details.)

The best short phrase to describe a 335 is semi-hollow electric!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Les Pauls have arched tops and they are solid body guitars.

Anything with an arch top can be referred to as an arch-top. You have to be more specific. BTW, an ES175 is an arch-top electric too.

An acoustic arch-top guitar is known as a carve-top. They may still have a pickup, generally a floating pickup.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engleman View Post

When I was working with Tom Ribbecke we made a lot of both. Tom has a 335 style instrument called the Testadura and I'm soon unveiling one of my own this next year. We never once referred to those in our daily conversations as an "archtop".

However… from a purely technical perspective, yes they are arch toped instruments. So I guess… the answer to your question is yes and no. Technically Yes. Practically no.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops