The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Default CA vs rainsong: who is top dog?

The cargo guitars seem really awesome but I've yet to see anyone talking about any rainsong guitars with the same enthusiasm...Is CA the better company?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM

I think CA makes the better guitar.

But there are others who disagree.

It's a bit like the Martin vs. Taylor debate.

Both are very good guitars (well, all four). It's mainly a matter of preference.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:14 PM

so who is the martin and who is the taylor? I definely think CA has the cooler looking logo and headstock. Composite Acoustic sounds better than rainsong as well....
Old 09-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Haven't played a CA yet, but I owned a Rainsong for about 7 years. It was a great sounding guitar and their customer service was excellent.

The Desert Wind - Patrick's Flight
Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 PM

I've only played the Rainsongs -- I was impressed with the nicer one, and almost bought one. My wife convinced me that I would not be happy with that as my only good guitar -- she knows I'm a wood fanatic.

I would love a chance to play a CA though. If they are substantially better then maybe I AM missing out.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 09-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMak View Post
The cargo guitars seem really awesome but I've yet to see anyone talking about any rainsong guitars with the same enthusiasm...Is CA the better company?
One of the challenges is that Rainsong doesn't have a travel guitar, vis-a-vis the Cargo, so you won't see comparisons between the CA Cargo and a Rainsong ???

But on balance, I think most of the comments regarding the CA versus Rainsong are fairly even. And then there's also Emerald Guitars....
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 09-12-2008, 03:11 PM

You'll see a lot positive posts on the Cargo but for CA vs. Rainsong as a whole, I think you'll get slightly more votes for the RS as far as sound. If you compare the offset soundhole CA's to the RS that may be a different story. The CA's I've heard were not the offset soundhole ones and they just sound "OK" to me - I'd rather have wood. Given the Cargo has the offset soundhole, I'd like to see how the bigger versions compare. The Cargo does sound amazingly full although not the loudest guitar - the bigger versions such as the 5i or 7i should be awesome. The CA's, according to my local dealer, all can be setup with a really low action that's very easy to fret without buzz. My Cargo and the shop's guitar has this setup and I can play that thing for hours and hours without sore fingers. Double edge sword though, on one hand I can get a lot of practice time in - the downside is that my other guitars I find more difficult to play.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:35 PM

I've compared a Rainsong dread and my CA 5iM-CE. It's a lot like the Taylor vs Martin comparison.

Rainsong
lighter
less "traditional" sounding
louder and brighter
less comfortable (no belly scoop)

CA 5iM-CE
heavier
more "traditional" sounding - maybe even "woody"
less loud
deeper bass
more comfortable (belly scoop)
Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 PM

I own and CA X and have tried Rainsong. I have heard it said that rainsong does not try to imitate a wood guitar but rather have a sound all their own. CA really braced their guitars to try to have them sound like a traditional wood guitar. The CA bracing is not for strength but to tune the sound. I like that a CA sound more like a wood guitar. Someday I will get to a guitar shop that will have both and I will be able to a b them.
Steve
Old 09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I owned a Rainsong DR-1000 (Dread) and traded it over a year ago for a CA X Performer. They are very different creatures so it is hard to compare. My biggest struggle with composite guitars in general has been the plugged in sound. Particularly the low end. The CA X is a small guitar, OM body size and very thin. That, to me, cut down on the low end trouble that seems to be inherent in composite guitars given my set up and playing style.

Neither, in my opinion is anywhere near as nice as my wooden guitars (Goodall Dread and Concert Jumbo) but to me, the CA X is the ultimate travel guitar. It is very comfortable to wear and to play and I don't worry about taking it anywhere. The CA also feels like it could take much more of a beating than the Rainsong but that could be due to the body size/shape.

Matt
Old 09-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Perennially Maladroit

I guess it depends on which takes longer to ''open up'"...
Old 09-13-2008, 05:55 AM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I own and CA X and have tried Rainsong. I have heard it said that rainsong does not try to imitate a wood guitar but rather have a sound all their own. CA really braced their guitars to try to have them sound like a traditional wood guitar. The CA bracing is not for strength but to tune the sound. I like that a CA sound more like a wood guitar. Someday I will get to a guitar shop that will have both and I will be able to a b them.
Steve
don't know the intent of the companies, but I don't look for wood in carbon. I love my rainsong JM1000 ( with 80/20 !). Big body so it's got the bass to balance out the trebly carbon sound. I have a Gibson J150, J45 and a Martin 000-15S that I love as well. The RS is just another sound.

If CA had a jumbo and sold at musiciansfriend, I would have considered it.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:49 AM

I'm a Rainsong guy. I absolutely love my WS 1000. As far as comparison, I think the Rainsong is the Taylor and the CA is the Martin, although my Rainsong really does have a sound all it's own.

Just my honest opinion.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematsuda View Post
You'll see a lot positive posts on the Cargo but for CA vs. Rainsong as a whole, I think you'll get slightly more votes for the RS as far as sound. If you compare the offset soundhole CA's to the RS that may be a different story. The CA's I've heard were not the offset soundhole ones and they just sound "OK" to me - I'd rather have wood. Given the Cargo has the offset soundhole, I'd like to see how the bigger versions compare. The Cargo does sound amazingly full although not the loudest guitar - the bigger versions such as the 5i or 7i should be awesome. The CA's, according to my local dealer, all can be setup with a really low action that's very easy to fret without buzz. My Cargo and the shop's guitar has this setup and I can play that thing for hours and hours without sore fingers. Double edge sword though, on one hand I can get a lot of practice time in - the downside is that my other guitars I find more difficult to play.
your the first person i have seen say the rainsong sound better than a ca. the first 1. i agree my cargo plays as easy as a strat.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM

I have limited experience with both, but my preference so far is pretty heavily in favor of the CA. To my ears, it has a better balanced, woodier, more organic tone. The first word for tone that came to mind the first time I tried a Rain Song was "brittle." Obviously, others disagree, but these are my impressions.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber