The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

As lots of people here know, Jim Tozier took a Rainsong as his only guitar on his mini-tour this summer. While here in B'burg he told me a very telling "composites" story about another finger style player he knows and admires (though I've forgotten who -- maybe it was Al Petteway???). Jim was talking to him about composites and asked the mystery guy if he had tried them. The mystery guy said, "Have you heard my latest CD?" Jim said "Yes." And mystery guy said "Well, it was all done on a composite." So, mystery guy apparently didn't think the composite he had was lacking overtones or anything else compared to the nice wood guitars to which he undoubtedly had access.

I have a CA 8M-CE on order now. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives (hopefully) in another 4 weeks or so.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM

I've have posted several times about my CA 7M-CE which, I have had now for almost a month. It took nearly 18 weeks to get the guitar but, the wait was absolutely worth it. The more I play it, the more I like this guitar.

I am fortunate enough to own a couple of nice guitars and the CA compares well. That said, I have to agree with Ken Hodges. My CA does not have the complex, woody overtones of a solid wood guitar but, its tone (IMHO) is almost piano-like. Playabilty is equal to, or perhaps better than any of my guitars and I don't think I've ever played a guitar that has the sustain of a CA. While a Composite Acoustic may not be for everyone, it has certainly been a welcome addition to my small collection. I has been out of the case and on the stand since I brought it home; and I have only had to tune it twice since I've had it.

If I was stranded on a desert island, this would be the guitar I would have with me.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggamuffin View Post
As lots of people here know, Jim Tozier took a Rainsong as his only guitar on his mini-tour this summer. While here in B'burg he told me a very telling "composites" story about another finger style player he knows and admires (though I've forgotten who -- maybe it was Al Petteway???). Jim was talking to him about composites and asked the mystery guy if he had tried them. The mystery guy said, "Have you heard my latest CD?" Jim said "Yes." And mystery guy said "Well, it was all done on a composite." So, mystery guy apparently didn't think the composite he had was lacking overtones or anything else compared to the nice wood guitars to which he undoubtedly had access.

I have a CA 8M-CE on order now. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives (hopefully) in another 4 weeks or so.
I believe the mystery man was David Wilcox.....

Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
If I was stranded on a desert island, this would be the guitar I would have with me.
Excellent point....you could play it and also use it as an oar for your raft.

Indestructible!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter buck fan View Post
That's pretty much my thoughts. Way too much money. If they were half the price, I might think about it, but the CA Cargo goes for $755 here. That's a good chunk of $ into my next Taylor.
the cargo blows the 300 series taylor out of the water. sorry theres a reason there is a 4 to 6 month wait. not so for taylors. i have a cargo and i have a few friends with 200 and 300 series that would trade in a minute my cargo. haven't did a trade and wont. they stay in tune all the time and sound better than my friends 314. we have did the comparison with not looking for a few people and they all picked the cargo for tone. imagine that.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I believe the mystery man was David Wilcox.....
Yes, that's the name I wasn't coming up with! Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatter Picker View Post
Hello all,

Living in a dry, coldish weather climate, I am thinking about purchasing a carbon fiber guitar that I can keep out in the living room by the fireplace, etc. I do have an office/studio with guitars that I keep at a constant temp and humidity, and I am certainly not thinking that the carbon fiber will be in most ways a replacement, but I would love it if I could have a guitar always on hand without having to worry about playing it for too long in an environment outside its 75/45 cocoon. The problem with purchasing such a carbon fiber animal is the difficulty finding an outlet for a tone and playability comparison. I found a store within a day's drive that sells Rainsong and a store in a slightly different direction with Ovation. I haven't managed to find anyone in my state (Colorado) with Composite Acoustic in stock -- their authorized dealers can order them for interested buyers. I am particularly interested in CA since I have heard that Tim Stafford plays one while on the road, and to me that says a great deal.

Well, what about it, folks? Anyone have any experience or words of wisdom?
I love spruce, mahogany, and all of their wooded cousins. But carbon is great when the environment is unfriendly or even just changing. Also, the tone has its place - independent of the environment - in the world of music.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM

My CA Cargo was the best investment I ever made - unlike my Taylors and Takamines, or 70's Guild, I sit on the porch in the rain and play - leave it in the truck when it is 80 plus degrees outside, and, the main reason I got it, carry it on my back while riding my motorcycles. Try that with any Taylor or high end custom

But aside all of that, even indoors next to my other guitars, I'll sit and play the Cargo - it just plays and sounds that good!

Next carbon fiber I may look at is the Blackbird since they also offer a nylon string version...

Grant
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatter Picker View Post
Hello all,

Living in a dry, coldish weather climate, I am thinking about purchasing a carbon fiber guitar that I can keep out in the living room by the fireplace, etc. I do have an office/studio with guitars that I keep at a constant temp and humidity, and I am certainly not thinking that the carbon fiber will be in most ways a replacement, but I would love it if I could have a guitar always on hand without having to worry about playing it for too long in an environment outside its 75/45 cocoon. The problem with purchasing such a carbon fiber animal is the difficulty finding an outlet for a tone and playability comparison. I found a store within a day's drive that sells Rainsong and a store in a slightly different direction with Ovation. I haven't managed to find anyone in my state (Colorado) with Composite Acoustic in stock -- their authorized dealers can order them for interested buyers. I am particularly interested in CA since I have heard that Tim Stafford plays one while on the road, and to me that says a great deal.

Well, what about it, folks? Anyone have any experience or words of wisdom?
FP, do you need any more convincing?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

I have played a few composites, one Rainsong and two CAs in the last month or two, and as previously stated they do have a tone unlike any other in the world. I describe it as a unique "shimmer"

I think they're well worth the money, especially if the enviroment is nasty and mean to instruments

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"
Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 AM

You need to try them out.
I thought the plugged in sound, was utter well... you get the idea.
It sounded worse than modding an electric guitar with a roland piezo to me.

Acoustically it was ok, wasnt spectacular, it seems most people on this forum gasp at them and find the tone nice, which is odd seeing as most users here critique on tone and tonewood like crazy.

Then again I am known for over-generalizing.

But the fact that you could probably travel with it from Vancouver to India to the Arctic and it would still be stable is pretty cool, and I hear you can get away with playing them in harsh rain, though i dont know if you can do that with Electronics built in.

- Cornerstone Zion - German Spruce/Sinker Redwood Double Top with Madagascar Rosewood B/S and Koa Bevel/Binding

Incoming:
- MichaudMade OM-R Flamed Brazillian R/W & Euro Spruce
Old 09-04-2008, 01:20 AM

I have the L model and a X.

If your looking for a wood-like sound go for the 5L vintage. It is a wonderful dred, full or power, bass, and sparkle.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 AM

I saw Tim Stafford last year playing his live... Not the greatest venue/set-up for sound, but I agree, the fact that he thinks enough of them to play one says a lot about them.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:17 AM

I have the Rainsong WS-1000 and couldn't be happier. I've been out in fog and light rain with it then back in the house and never lost tuning.

I also tried the CA COT dread. I liked the sound of the CA. Like most people here, I agree that the CA's sound a little more like wooden guitars than the Rainsongs.

However, that's exactly why I decided to go with the Rainsong. There's something about that "carbon" sound that I really like. It's a good companion to my D-28. They get equal playing time depending what I'm in the mood for.

Martin D-28 '02
Rainsong WS-1000 '08
Art & Lutherie Ami Spruce '05
Epiphone AJ-45s '01
Old 09-04-2008, 06:37 AM

The carbon revolution is upon us! The thing I find facinating is that this little company is just getting started! Given what they have already accomplished can you imagine what will be next? I've owned the Cargo for about 3 months now and I am amazed every time I pick it up. It's that good! I just purchased the 7iM-CE that was in Tommy's post from Jim Cannon and it is on it's way from Florida. I am so happy with the Cargo that I pretty much decided that's it for my GAS...until I saw the photos of that Tobacco Burst! What a piece of art...and I'm told the tone on this puppy will compete with any McPherson you've ever played. So anyway Flatpicker...consider yourself plastered with CA accolades and just go buy one. You WILL NOT be dissappointed. Oh yeah...and did I mention they are climate impervious?

Jim B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber