The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-24-2008, 05:20 AM

Default Logan's Water

Hi everybody. I'm fairly new to the forum - but find it to be very informative, and full of like minded people.

I've just uploaded my first ever youtube clip, and would like to get some feedback on it. Please take a look and feel free to leave any feedback (negative is welcome as well as positive). I think it's not too bad an attempt for my first go!

Thanks for your time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MItYX3wQqcA
Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodders View Post
...I think it's not too bad an attempt for my first go!
Hi Rodders...
or is it Ross?

I agree, not a bad attempt for the first go! Nice actually. Is Open Gm tuning DGDGBbD? Nicely done...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 AM

Hi Steve, it's Ross really - but my nickname is Rodders. It is indeed open Gm, for some reason I find it easier to get my head round than some other open tunings or DADGAD. Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodders View Post
Hi Steve, it's Ross really - but my nickname is Rodders. It is indeed open Gm, for some reason I find it easier to get my head round than some other open tunings or DADGAD. Thanks for the comments.
Hi Ross, rodders etc...
I'm Larry, but I do know people named Steve! (I'm smiling)

I love lots of alternate tunings - they are like flavors of icecream. Each a bit different with some parts of them familiar when compared to other flavors.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM

I'm so sorry LARRY - I don't know where I got that from !!!! Please forgive me?

I love open G and Gm, I also really like 'crossnote' tuning (Em) but have only had limited experience with it. My Dad told me not to get into open tunings - he pretty much plays everything in open G or D - and he thinks it's a lazy way of playing. I just think it can open a lot more doors, and some songs are really fun to play in an open tuning.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Good job Ross. I'm not clear if that is you composition but if so congrats as it is better than many. My only suggestion at the moment is to play with broader phrasing.
Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Loved your performance!

I don't think I've heard about Gm tuning. I'll have to try it. My case of old dog-new trick syndrome has kept me from accomplishing much with tunings and I still feel like I need a guitar with a crank on the side.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Nice job Rodders, this is a lovely traditional Scottish tune, and you play it very well.

You seem more relaxed playing through the A part, as a result it flows slightly better musically, compared to the B part.........A minor observation in the context of your first youtube performance, congratulations!

My Music

Solway Sunset - Free Album Download
Old 06-24-2008, 12:37 PM

Cheers Mark - You're spot on, there was a bit of a psychological barrier with the B Part.

If I'm being honest I would have recorded it again, but I had had my usual nightmare with my K&K preamp - the battery had died because I left the cable plugged into it (a flaw in the design if you ask me!), plus the room was extremely warm and I couldn't open the window for fear of external sound. That was as good as I would have got under the conditions on that day - and as the camera was borrowed I thought rather than get too wound up about it I'd quit whilst I was ahead!

I'm not making excuses (honest!), it is what it is - but you are totally right about the B part
Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 PM

Your welcome Rodders!

Performance anxiety of any sort is a pain, and all these little bits and pieces start to prey on your mind once the red light is on.

I'm a bit more relaxed now about recording, as I'm more familiar with it, but put me in front of a camera and I'm sure I'd have to go through the same "anxiety curve" regardless of how well I know the piece, and performing live is scarier again, I've done it a few times now in a solo guitar context but the very thought of it still gives me palpitations!

My Music

Solway Sunset - Free Album Download
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM

My next step will hopefully be some kind of open mic night - so I really need to learn to relax. The problem is that I can lose concentration if I don't focus, so it's a bit of a vicious circle. I guess I need to find the right balance between relaxing and being alert to the job in hand , and still enjoy it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell