The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 AM

Default Any "field recorder news" from NAMM?

I'm looking to supplement my Zoom H4 with something simpler to use ( I don't need any lectures about how it really isn't that difficult ) and suspect that it will be a Zoom H2. However I'm waiting to see what new field recorder products may be announced at NAMM ( that, if I'm correct starts this Friday ) before purchasing one.

Sometimes there are pre-show announcements. Also I've found it hard to track down the complete list of items that were introduced at any given show via the internet. So especially if anyone is going or is keeping track of announcements regarding that type of device I'd appreciate a heads up..... thanks.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrummer View Post
I'm looking to supplement my Zoom H4 with something simpler to use ( I don't need any lectures about how it really isn't that difficult ) and suspect that it will be a Zoom H2. However I'm waiting to see what new field recorder products may be announced at NAMM ( that, if I'm correct starts this Friday ) before purchasing one.

Sometimes there are pre-show announcements. Also I've found it hard to track down the complete list of items that were introduced at any given show via the internet. So especially if anyone is going or is keeping track of announcements regarding that type of device I'd appreciate a heads up..... thanks.
Hi AS...
Here is a page full of them, but no reports other than user ratings. It looks like Zoom has had a definite impact on the market and the result is a host of options.

Field Recorders - click

I look at features for usability like ability to change batteries in the field, phantom power, XLR & 1/4'' inputs (if needed) and the ability to mount them on a tripod or mic stand easily, and an included power supply.

The ability to mount a recorder on a tripod is just about make-or-break for me. It has to be adjusted to a proper height and distance quickly without duct taping it to things to be useful for me. Some of these look ''fancier'' than the Zoom H2 or H4, but they are really untried at this point, and if someone is just starting out, it is not always fun being a beta tester, and going with a proven item is better than cosmetics or name-brand reputation from a company new to the field.

For instance, the Tascam uses rechargeable batteries and the packs are $49 apiece! That would decide it for me right there - AA batteries are much cheaper and easier to carry around and not worry about losing.

There are some larger recorders among them which are more complex than the hand helds which have come down in price as well...a new and growing market.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-22-2008, 01:02 PM

Nothing seems to be emerging to change my opinion that I will benefit greatly from a Zoom H2 as the "Keep it simple" supplement to my Zoom H4. Therefore, I have ordered one..........

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell