The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-10-2016, 09:29 PM

Default Glycerin and alcohol

I saw a homade recipe for veneer softener with water, glycerin and alcohol. What are the pro's and con's?
I tried it on a test piece and it worked quite well but I'm concerned about glue adhesion and finish problems,
and what of products like supersoft?

Last edited by LPMark; 11-10-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:51 PM

I would be worried about gluing up with the glycerin left on the surface. I have had some success with a mix of fabric softener and water. I used that because of the high cost of getting SSII across the border. I broke down and bought a gallon. If I lived in the U.S. I would not think twice about getting a small bottle.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:44 AM

I was reading on that also, and it seems fabric softener is quite commonly used. I also read that a lot of the effective ingredient in fabric softener is silicone based. This makes me nervous, certainly adhesion issues with lacquer going silicone contaminated wood.
but then - get this - I also read that to remove silicone contamination " wipe the wood with gasoline, and set it on fire" !!! Aughh...can you imagine taking a match to a Brazilian rosewood guitar build? Crazy, even if it did work.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I...to remove silicone contamination " wipe the wood with gasoline, and set it on fire" !!! Aughh...can you imagine taking a match to a Brazilian rosewood guitar build? Crazy, even if it did work.
hmm......never heard that but.......it probably works.

The wood doesn't burn, the gasoline does.

When we were firework-building pyromaniac kids we used to soak tennis balls in gas, light them on fire and play catch in the dark. When you catch the ball you can hold it in the palm of your hand and the flames go up, not down. Totally safe.....well, unless you get tired of resoaking and think its a good idea to poke a hole in the tennis ball and fill it up......totally different result......just sayin'

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Used the fabric softener with hide glue, CA and Titebond with no issues. Never heard of silicone being in fabric softener. Maybe that is why I never had problems with gluing.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 PM

Do you use full strength or dilute? I tried soaking in fab softener overnight in foil but it darkened the wood a lot and left a slimy feel. don't think I'll use those pieces.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:29 PM

I mixed it half and half also about 4:1 water to FS. I squeegee the slime off the sides and rinse under water then wipe off any beads of water just leaving a damp surface. Wrap in brown paper then bend.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:49 PM

Bend right away, or let soak in?
Old 11-18-2016, 06:57 PM

I let them soak for a day and then clean up and bend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair