The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-30-2016, 06:10 PM

Default Agree...

Completely agree with alohachris...The Acoustic Warrior!

So good to see you post...Nothin' but the truth!!!

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...
Old 10-31-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been singing with a SM58 from 17 years old to early 30. Few years ago, I though it was the time to give a rest to my good old SM58 (who was already 2nd hand when I bought it).

So I bought a Beta 87a which is a condenser mic. It's 3 times the price of a SM58 and sounded way better, clearer more articulate in the shop.

At home, believe me or not: It was first a disaster. I was totally lost. I had habbits with the SM58. I liked to put my mouth close and use the proximity effect to have that huge Barry White thing. I could not do it with the Beta 87a. Moreover, though I could clearly hear myself thanks to a better response in the high register... It was not really my voice.

Well it was, but I've been so used to my voice through a SM58 that I could not stand my "real" voice. (I know It sounds weird)

At some point I went back to the shop, explained my problem and ask for a Neumann... The seller said: "Stop annoying me and learn how to sing: You are not Barry White, this is your voice: live with it". It was hard, but it was true.

It took me a bit of time to get used to it and work my mic technique to adapt to the microphone. Now it's OK. But I do have to listen more to myself singing than with my old friend SM58 which is nearly a part of me.

Cuki
Then you owe it to yourself to try the Sennheiser e945 (not the e935). This is the best mic I've found yet, for enhancing low-frequency vocals, without having to resort to using "proximity effect", which sounds terrible IMO.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:17 PM

Hi Bobby1note,

I think you are not the first one to give me that advice. I should really check that mic.

Thanks
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-11-2016, 10:54 PM

I'm the OP and I just like to extend a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Such great input! It has helped me better understand how to use a mic and what to look for when buying one. Many thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification