The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Thanks all for the feedback.

The first question that I have is how do I find out what version of ES2 is on my guitar? I have 2 switches on the preamp, if that is an indicator.

The second question is if I want more of the natural sound, which method is better to obtain this sound? Upgrade the ES to another ES or get a Fishman (or some other) pick up?

Maybe the best way to get the natural sound is to just put a mic in front of the guitar.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudals1281 View Post

The first question that I have is how do I find out what version of ES2 is on my guitar? I have 2 switches on the preamp, if that is an indicator.

The second question is if I want more of the natural sound, which method is better to obtain this sound? Upgrade the ES to another ES or get a Fishman (or some other) pick up?

Maybe the best way to get the natural sound is to just put a mic in front of the guitar.
It sounds like you have the original ES and not the ES2. Actually did someone tell you that your guitar has the ES2 or is that what you think you have? Just trying to figure out where you got the "2" from. There were three versions of the original ES and they were all extremely similar just small differences and improvements but all based on body sensors and a mag pickup in the neck. The new es2 is not under the saddle but behind it. The ES2 is easy to spot because there are three adjustment screws on the bridge, right behind he saddle. If those are not there, you have the original ES.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
No maybe about it. That said, I've installed USB twin head piezos in over a dozen instruments, 4 I gig with regularly. I'm really not sure why so many AE guitars come factory equipped with UST's. Probably faster/easier/cheaper to produce and install.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier, given the year of your guitar, you have the ES1.2 version of the original magnetic-based ES system. The new piezo-based ES2 was released in Fall 2013 and gradually became the standard ES system across the Taylor series lineup. As of 2016, the ES2 is the standard Taylor pickup/preamp system.

Use an external mic when playing conditions enable you to do so.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-31-2016, 03:57 AM

Buy the Bodyrez pedal. It made my taylors sound more natural. Best $99 I ever spent.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM

I have to agree with most here.
I have a taylor 514-ce with the prefix system
From 1997 that sounds better than any es
I have ever heard. That being said i think
K&k beats them all..cheaper too..
Old 11-08-2016, 11:49 AM

I am resurrecting this old thread to get some feedback.

SpruceTop seems to have some good experience with the ES2 based on my limited research on AGF. I have listened to the ES1 vs ES2 comparisons done by a user here and on Youtube. The ES1 definitely sounds electric to my ears and based on the fact that it is magnetic based as opposed to ES2, this seems to make sense. If I want to get close to a natural sound without stripping the ES1 and replacing it with the likes of K&K or Fishman, will ES2 get me there. It seems like there is not an overwhelming consensus that the ES2 is better sounding.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 PM

I am probably one of the few who found the ES1.2 very likeable and to me, natural sounding. When I play through PA systems, the Taylor GA8 with the ES1.2 sound very natural and harmonic. Its only when I plug into dedicated Acoustic amps that I become aware of coloration induced by the speaker systems used in those amps and they way they are voiced. My present system now utilizes a Quilter MicroPro Mach2 8" combo in combination with a PA speaker system. I have yet to hear anything that comes close.... with my ears. I think a lot of the folks that heard that magnetic sound just never experimented enough or used proper impedance matching to get to where they needed to be. Believe me, I tried a whole gambit of amps, hookups and DI boxes with many different guitars before I came to where I am at now.

Find what makes you happy and screw the rest of us!!
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 11-09-2016, 06:01 AM

Hi

I have the ES1.3 (same as 1.2 but with the dummy coil or 9V battery upgrade I dont' know...) I think it sounds more natural in the lower part of the neck (for cowboy chords for ex) but when you go up the neck, you hear the comb filter effect that you get with magnetic pickups. Note that it is then very dependent on pick attack. The ES1.x really neads the player to play while listening to the amplified sound and not the acoustic sound to get the best results. Everytime I feel the sound is "lacking" on my Taylor, I move my picking hand towards the bridge to get more bite.

For me the old ES sounds better than the new one (except up the neck). But both don't really sound very good.

However I think one pickup will fits one style of playing/context.

Magnetic:
PRO: less feedback, Magnetic sound (some like it)
CONS: More noise, Magnetic sound, bad look if it is not integrated (Taylor is)

Undersadle transducer (UST: most common)
PRO: invisible, cut through the mix, low feedback
CONS: Quacky. No body sound. Usually compressed (limited dynamic). Usually eeds preamp closest as possible to pickup (usually onboard)

Soundboard transducer (K&K, TA Amulet...)
PRO: Invisible, more body, more natural sounding.Amilfies the sound of the body (tapping)
CONS: More feedback. Less clarity than UST (for cheaper ones/bad install). Still some quackiness for piezo based SBT. Usually needs preamp closest as possible to pickup (usually onboard). Amplifies the sound of the body (noise).

Internal/external Microphone:
PRO: Most natural sound (not necessarly the best).
CONS: Feedback!!! Amplifies all kind of sounds, including noise from your hands, arms...

Blending system
PRO: Good compromise, usually you can choose to go pickup or mic dending on the venue.
CONS: Lot's of electronic, tweaking, money...

If I was, you, I'd test every system in different shops with a ZOOM H2. Record the sound from an amp (take always the same amp) and then put the pickup volume down and record the natural sound. Try all kind of pickup (including modelling pedals).

Return home and listen quietly. Then you have an idea as fas as your playing is concerned.

Then try to listen to people in live situation. Then you 'll have an idea, as far as the public is concerned... Then choose.

The road of acoustic amplification is long for most of us...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Cuki79 Great post!!

Your ES 1.3 version differs from the 1.2 in the following ways:
1) Only One body sensor (ES1.2 had 2 sensors) and a slightly different placement.
2) Pre-amp was re-designed and improved in ES 1.3.
Both had the mag. pickup in the neck and 9 volt battery.

Great explanation on the Pros and Cons of each pickup system.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification