The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 AM

Default First gig with new Fishman Artist tonight

First Monday of the month at a local restaurant. It's their slow night, and we bring in some additional business. We use a small PA, only one speaker Main, no monitors. I do plug into an amp, which has been my Bose L-1 compact, to reinforce my volume. I'm switching to the Loud Box, as an easy, portable way to shape my sound a bit more easily. Very small, and lightweight amp. Tonight I'll use my Anthem SL loaded 3/4 sized Gibson LG-2 Arlo Guthrie. The ground went on the fritz on my D-18 with Fishman Ellipse Blend, so that goes to repair, since I don't solder. A touch of reverb, and a bit more gain used, as I have a lot of solo space in this group, consisting of Mandolin, banjo, electric bass, and me.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Default First Fishman Artist Gig

Best of luck!
I hope it goes well for you! I love mine!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 11-07-2016, 01:40 PM

That is so interesting. You're switching away from the L1 in favor of the Loudbox. I'm just about to purchase a system to amplify and I have been strongly considering the L1 Compact.

Were you using the L1 for vocals or going through a house PA for that? If so, will you be using the new Loudbox for your vocals now?

I am now leaning toward two Mackie SRM350's vs. the L1. Went and checked out the Loudboxes and felt like I will have more bang for the buck going the PA route (plus I already have a Fishman DI box).
Old 11-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Ok, what happened was a friend loaned me his L-1 Compact for a small backyard party. We used a small mixing board, and loved the sound! I figured the L-1 would do double duty, as my amp, and small PA when needed. That's what I did for a year. I did find that without additional eq, the Bose could be limited as an amp, in certain venues. I was using my bandmate's Fishman Pro, which I also liked, ALTHOUGH, I love the uncolored sound of my Bose more. Bottom line is they both will work well (I hope). I also was able to barter for the Artist! Side by side, they were actually pretty close. The pure sound of the Bose with a good reverb pedal (Polara), is nicer than the reverb on the Fishman, but I did want another easy amp to use. I have not tried a mic in the Artist. I also liked the Fishman Stick SA whatever, but liked the small Bose better. (now, what was the question??)
Old 11-07-2016, 06:15 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJamie View Post
....(now, what was the question??)
LOL....what should I buy? Just read the mackie SRM350 reviews and they're not great. I think I might just piece together a QSC PA starting with one K10 (are they expensive!!!)

I hope the Fishman does well for you man. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-09-2016 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 11-07-2016, 06:18 PM

Judging by the results of the reccommendations on another thread, the best, less expensive alternatives to the K10 are Yamaha DBR10's with the JBL EON 610's coming in slightly behind, but with many rec's as well.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

I just got in from a gig, over 250 people, very large ballroom. I plugged into my Fishman Artist for one side of the room, vol not quite half way. Took a signal out of Fishman into JBL Eon610 for larger side of room. On JBL i had the master at 12 o clock and one channel at 9 o clock and it was perfect. 1 guitar, 1 vocal. The new JBL's are loud! and sound real good!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:37 AM

Default Another alternative

Check out the EV ZLX12P powered speakers. I have two and they are really great, only 34 pounds and half the price of QSC similar speakers. Good bargain for the money

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 11-08-2016, 06:59 AM

For our setup last night the Artist worked well. Plenty of volume for a small venue, less than 100 people (that's pretty good for us). Easy to get my sound, touch of reverb, plenty of gain, for punchy leads, no feedback with the Anthem SL. (so much better than the Lyric that I tried). So, where will the Bose fit in? Will I need a small PA? Will I finally play a coffee house gig, solo? I'll keep the Bose for a while, but it may not be a forever piece of gear. I also have a Yorkville powered mixer, and a couple small Yorkville speakers, mostly for any possible jams at home, at this point.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJamie View Post
For our setup last night the Artist worked well. Plenty of volume for a small venue, less than 100 people (that's pretty good for us). Easy to get my sound, touch of reverb, plenty of gain, for punchy leads, no feedback with the Anthem SL. (so much better than the Lyric that I tried). So, where will the Bose fit in? Will I need a small PA? Will I finally play a coffee house gig, solo? I'll keep the Bose for a while, but it may not be a forever piece of gear. I also have a Yorkville powered mixer, and a couple small Yorkville speakers, mostly for any possible jams at home, at this point.
Right on man. I'm glad you were happy with it. I agree, if you don't need the money from the L1, keep it and use it as a PA when needed, in combo with your new Artist. Not to mention you're now the guy who has both the Fishman Artist and the Bose L1 Compact. If you get some QSCs you'll have every option!! ha!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovekings View Post
Check out the EV ZLX12P powered speakers. I have two and they are really great, only 34 pounds and half the price of QSC similar speakers. Good bargain for the money
I love my ELX12Ps. They are wood construction rather than plastic but have more traditional technology as well. Also, they weigh about 6lbs more. I think EV gives you lots of bang for your buck.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 11-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Yeah, the big question about keeping all the PA options open, when I rarely need a PA at all! Because I got into my Yorkville gear inexpensively, and it isn't going to bring much used, keeping that makes sense. I also thing I might be sorry to lose the Bose, when I want that coffee house, OR, living room concert I've been thinking about for so long. Before we downsize our home, I would love to do a house concert with a few acts to play, in my big living room, fire, wine, and the Bose/ with mixer for an acoustic music night. Can't wait for SNOW!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification