The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM

Default Tonewood`s for top.

Red Spruce,European(Alpine),Sitka,nicest sound for archtop?I believe the older Gibson`s used red spruce.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:42 PM

TMK most of the quality factory instruments (Gibson, Epiphone) used Adi through the early postwar years, but after about 1949 the wholesale switch to other, more plentiful North American varieties (mostly sitka) had taken place; when the Euro stuff again became available in quantity in the early-50's the low-volume builders (Stromberg, D'Angelico, Albanus) would use it on order, as do many of the custom builders today. In 50+ years I've heard good instruments in all types and dogs in all types, and without minimizing the contribution of the top wood in any way, IMO it's more the skill of the builder; if you're setting out to produce a fine hand-carved archtop, you'd better have both a love of the instrument and a real feel for what you're doing - in my book everything else is just icing on the cake. My thoughts: if you're commissioning a new guitar, talk in detail to the luthier and see what type of wood(s) he/she is most comfortable/achieves the best results with - it's sure to result in an instrument you'll be pleased with in the long run...
Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 PM

I have great archtops made of Sitka, Adirondack, and Alpine spruce. Like Steve said, a good builder will customize the carve to maximize the tone from the piece of wood they are working with. Jimmy D'Aquisto was said to prefer Alpine spruce, but IMO it's not the most important parameter; the builder is.

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops