The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Default Crack Repair?

So, I just got a Guild F50R off ebay. It arrived today, and as soon as I opened it I noticed a 3 inch crack as well as a few frets that looked like they were starting to come out. The seller is willing to work with me as we think the crack happened during shipping. He has offered me a partial refund and I am just figuring out what would be fair.

My big question: Will this crack cause any more issues after it is glued and cleated properly?

It basically starts at the sound hole and goes up almost parallel with the neck.

I am working on getting an online photo album up so I can insert a couple pictures of it.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM

That's a dicey crack - may be related to the neck block shifting and shearing the top.

Do you have a good guitar tech? Start there.

I'd send it back.

George
Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Need to see pics of the crack...

What likely happened is the variance in temperature from location to location during shipping.
Could have happened in the cold, or hot, mail truck. Guitars can become incredibly dried during travel. Extreme humidity changes can cause some pretty nasty cracks.

I would recommend humidifying your guitar first. ( go here: http://www.scenicnewengland.net/guit...o/humidity.htm ) Some cracks, providing they are in the grain, can seal completely up once fully humidified!! Once the crack is fully sealed up and invisible again, I usually cleat it up with a light thin piece of spruce.

MM
Old 04-28-2010, 03:29 PM

It's unlikely that temperature or humidity issues during transit caused the crack.

If the guitar took a hit during transit, causing the crack, it is likely there are internal braces cracked. I'd send it back and get my money refunded. Whether it was packed properly or not, it's the seller's problem.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Take it to a tech if you are keeping it. The longer you wait the more dirt gets in the crack and makes it a visible repair. My tech charges around $50 an inch of non complex cracks.
Since you posted in the DYI
I did a crack like that one you need some deep throated clamps
Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Took it down to the shop yesterday and the crack should be an easy fix. The other half of it is some very spongy frets as well as a bridge starting to lift. At this point I am planning on sending it back, unless he agrees to the partial refund that I asked for which will cover all the work necessary as well as a little extra for peace of mind/trouble of having my new guitar in the shop for a month. Still deciding if I want to go through that trouble when the guitar was supposedly in great condition.

So we'll see. Good thoughts everyone, thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair