The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM

Default roughing up a gloss neck

hi,

i tried this is general, and got no responses, so i thought o'd try it in here:

i have a few guitars that have a polyester glossy finish on them. i like the satin feel much better, and was wondering what can be done to get a satin finish, short of having it totally redone.

i've heard that you can just work the neck with some 0000 steel wool, but does anyone have any real life experience doing that? these aren't expensive guitars, but i don't want to totally ruin the necks too. also, i've heard that just re-polishing the neck will bring back the gloss.

any woodworkers here that can shed some light on this?
Edit/Delete Message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Me

What you've heard is true. Go for it.
BTW - Playing it will bring it back to gloss. You can hit it again with the 0000 to get it back to satin.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:25 PM

As Steve has said, what you've heard is correct.

Just so you are aware, that finish material will always be able to be brought back up to high gloss, that's the nature of a high gloss finish.

OOOO Steelwool is good, or you can use the 3M synthetic steel wool too, the gray is equivalent to OOOO steelwool.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 PM

I have done the steel wool treatment on several high gloss necks I have owned. And still do some of them. Never had a problem with it.
I do that to get the top of the finish coat roughed up a bit, then I will use one of the micro fibre polish type cloths to keep it "slick" feeling without being
sticky feeling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair