The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 AM

Default CA Cargo suitable for 9 yr old?

Hi folks,
I have an order in for a Cargo with a dealer. I am buying completely based on rave sound reviews + durability factor as I have never seen or played one. For those who have one my question is this: would the overall size fit a 9 year old who is starting out? The body size I'm not too worried about but will the fretboard width be too wide for my daughter who is 9 and maybe a touch on the small side? Would I be wiser to get a proper child size guitar to start even though it will probably sound lousy?

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Dandy...that is going to be one lucky little girl! The neck width is 1 3/4 on the Cargo which is the same as most Taylors. It is also short scale which should also help. The neck on the Cargo is also fairly thin so it will probably be fine for her. I've owned guitars from $100-$6000 and this little guitar has impressed me more than any of those. It has become guitar #1 for me. Have fun.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 AM

She will grow into it - and the good sound/ease of playing will keep her interested! IMHO!!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 AM

It has a nut width of 1 3/4", so that may be a little wide for a child's hand. Your best bet for finding a good fit for your daughter is to actually get something in her hands for comparison. Do you have any 1 3/4" nut width guitars at home? If so, you could ignore the body and just test her hands on that.

I'm going through this with my 11 year old daughter. I'm looking for something durable, but good sounding, too. I've taken to a Martin OO1X that has HPL back and sides (quite nice looking at that) with a solid spruce top.

It's a good middle ground. Small body, 1 11/16" nut width, and really LOW, buzz free action. All necessary ingredients for getting guitar to stick.

Good luck!

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrufus View Post
It has a nut width of 1 3/4", so that may be a little wide for a child's hand. Your best bet for finding a good fit for your daughter is to actually get something in her hands for comparison. Do you have any 1 3/4" nut width guitars at home? If so, you could ignore the body and just test her hands on that.

I'm going through this with my 11 year old daughter. I'm looking for something durable, but good sounding, too. I've taken to a Martin OO1X that has HPL back and sides (quite nice looking at that) with a solid spruce top.

It's a good middle ground. Small body, 1 11/16" nut width, and really LOW, buzz free action. All necessary ingredients for getting guitar to stick.

Good luck!
She more often now wants to pick up my Larrivee L-03R. I don't have another guitar in the house. When she sits there it looks ridiculously big. The neck width is the same as the Cargo but I anticipate per the comments that the Cargo will have a thinner neck profile. The Cargo neck may suit her better even if the same width. Perhaps I should wait until the Cargo arrives and then go from there before I make further decisions on something smaller. She will have to be patient. The end result may be we get her something smaller and that is OK. I'll make good use of the Cargo none-the-less.

We have had her in piano lessons the last couple of years but I think her heart is on the guitar. I'll chalk it up to positive influence

"Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." C.S. Lewis

http://soundclick.com/nj1969
Old 08-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I own a Cargo and I think it is the perfect guitar to suit your daughter. Given the thin neck profile, I don't think the neck width will be an issue at all. Your daughter is one lucky girl!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrufus View Post
It has a nut width of 1 3/4", so that may be a little wide for a child's hand.
Hi guys...
As a teacher I disagree - many 3/4 classicals have that wide a neck and are used for beginner students who are as young as 7 or 8 years old. Unless her hands are ''tiny'' then the neck size of 1 3/4'' would be fine.

Also, if she doesn't take to it right away it is not as likely to rot in the closet (which as a teacher I've seen plenty of). It would be something you could play as well...but it would be more likely to be in good shape down the line if her interest is renewed as a teen.

By the way, if her hands are extremely tiny, then it is the one time I recommend a Baby Taylor - they have a smaller neck width (as does the Alvarez 3/4 sized student guitar). But only as a temporary hold till they can handle more width. A very petite 10 year old with the tiniest hands I'd seen on a child accompanied her brother to group lessons several years ago, and my Baby Taylor fit her well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 08-01-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Playability

That sounds like a great use for a Cargo.

I know it's been said many times here that you can search these forums and not find any negative remarks about the CA Cargo, but I'm the one who has been making those remarks. I just call it being honest and will cop to it being nothing but my opinion. After all is said and done, the Cargo now works well for me for the purpose I got it for (a travel guitar).

I won't repeat any of those because there's no need and I do think it'd be a great 9-year-olds guitar. There is only one thing I'd mention to watch out for when you get one and that is the saddle being misfit. Mine was jammed into the slot so tight that the cargo produced a completely muffled sound and the action was like a cheese-slicer.

I was able to get that out after an hour of gentle prodding, and sand down the sides, replace it in it's slot and still saw that the action was terrible but that the guitar now at least sounded decent. I sanded down the saddle to a respectable height for good playability and now it is fine.

What's very cool about the Cargo, is that once you've got action you like, the strings are VERY easy to press due to the short scale (22.5"? or so).

Since playability is such a big deal for all of us, especially a young kid starting out, it is something to take a look at as soon as you've got one.

Best of luck to your daughter and her adventures in guitar.

PS: I had the person I bought it from throw in 2 extra saddle blanks from CA just in case I had problems, and they've come in handy -- They are 5 bucks apiece.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
That sounds like a great use for a Cargo.

I know it's been said many times here that you can search these forums and not find any negative remarks about the CA Cargo, but I'm the one who has been making those remarks. I just call it being honest and will cop to it being nothing but my opinion. After all is said and done, the Cargo now works well for me for the purpose I got it for (a travel guitar).

I won't repeat any of those because there's no need and I do think it'd be a great 9-year-olds guitar. There is only one thing I'd mention to watch out for when you get one and that is the saddle being misfit. Mine was jammed into the slot so tight that the cargo produced a completely muffled sound and the action was like a cheese-slicer.

I was able to get that out after an hour of gentle prodding, and sand down the sides, replace it in it's slot and still saw that the action was terrible but that the guitar now at least sounded decent. I sanded down the saddle to a respectable height for good playability and now it is fine.

What's very cool about the Cargo, is that once you've got action you like, the strings are VERY easy to press due to the short scale (22.5"? or so).

Since playability is such a big deal for all of us, especially a young kid starting out, it is something to take a look at as soon as you've got one.

Best of luck to your daughter and her adventures in guitar.

PS: I had the person I bought it from throw in 2 extra saddle blanks from CA just in case I had problems, and they've come in handy -- They are 5 bucks apiece.
Hey Papol, my Cargo sounded great right out of the box. I've only changed the strings once since I got it in March, and I haven't even checked how tight the saddle might be 'cause I didn't have a need to. Perhaps your saddle issue is the exception rather than the rule. It seems you've worked it out though, so hopefully you're getting the best sound out of it as possible as I think the rest of us are.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 AM

Hi Tom,

I think that is probably the case. I've read so many good things about the Cargo that mine could easily be the exception.

Once the action was good, I found it to be adequate for my needs in a travel guitar.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Papol
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy505 View Post
We have had her in piano lessons the last couple of years but I think her heart is on the guitar. I'll chalk it up to positive influence
Having some piano/music theory basics will only serve her better as she pursues guitar. I'm requiring piano for my kids before they take on other instruments because I believe that much in the foundation it provides.

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber