The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 AM

Default Learning the fingerboard

I am finally understanding the scales, and the transitions notes in the specific keys (Hey, I am old and slow. So it takes awhile!). Next step, I guess, is memorizing the notes on the fingerboard. Any suggestions as to the most efficient / effective way to memorize all of the notes?

Thanks again for all of the help in learning this confounded instrument. Maybe I should have chosen something easy (like calculus).

Mark
Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinder View Post
I am finally understanding the scales, and the transitions notes in the specific keys (Hey, I am old and slow. So it takes awhile!). Next step, I guess, is memorizing the notes on the fingerboard. Any suggestions as to the most efficient / effective way to memorize all of the notes?

Thanks again for all of the help in learning this confounded instrument. Maybe I should have chosen something easy (like calculus).

Mark
You're confusing me...
If you understand scales and you know how to play them, knowing the fretboard
is an added benefit. So...what's the problem ?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
You're confusing me...
If you understand scales and you know how to play them, knowing the fretboard
is an added benefit. So...what's the problem ?
Bern,
thanks for the reply. I learned the scales by tab and by ear, while reading and studying guitar / music theory. I am now going to try commit all of the individual notes of the fingerboard to memory, and am wondering the best way to memorize the notes.
thanks again ,
Mark
Old 06-20-2008, 06:34 AM

The book 'Fretboard Logic' is about the best source I know of and it concentrates on CAGED theory which says that there are five basic chord shapes and they are related and connect in a continuous form along with their scales and leads.

Also, since the commonly used E and A chord shapes have their root notes on the low E and A strings, it's important to memorize the note names for the positions on those strings. That way you can easily move scales, leads and chord progressions from key to key and moves you away from primary or open chord positions to moveable chords and scales.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Bern,
thanks for the reply. I learned the scales by tab and by ear, while reading and studying guitar / music theory. I am now going to try commit all of the individual notes of the fingerboard to memory, and am wondering the best way to memorize the notes.
thanks again ,
Mark
Believe it or not, I've learned the fretboard not by playing scales at all. I've learned it by playing (arpeggios) different inversions of chords up and down the neck. Therefore, I suggest, play major, minor, diminished & augmented triads and what I've said. Not only will you learn the neck, you will also learn chord structure. However, if you don't want to do that, play single string scales (include chromatic as well).
Hope this will give you some ideas...happy practicing !
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the fine tips. I also was in our bookstore and found "The Scale Guru". It seems to be written so that even I can understand it. I think it and yall's kind advice will really help. thanks again

mark
Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Get off my lawn kid

We're supposed to remember the names of the notes? Hey, no one sent me that memo, what's going on?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Any suggestions as to the most efficient / effective way to memorize all of the notes?
Hi Mark...
An easy way to start is to memorize the names of the notes on strings 5 & 6 (which we use for barre chords anyway), and then start with one note, identify it, and locate everywhere on the neck you can play it.

You can build up a library of those and before long you will have located and learned the notes all over the neck.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM

http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretb...rdwarrior.html

I've found this helpful.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell