The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 AM

Default Good deal or would I lose?

I am thinking about selling my Martin GPCPA4 rosewood to fund a Larrivee OM 40R. If I get what I think I can for my Martin, I should come out even when all is said and done. I would really like a smaller guitar with an ebony finger board. I will probably miss the cutaway but the Larrivee sounds pretty good on all of the youtube videos I've listened to.

Good deal or a bad one?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 PM

Sounds like a fair trade to me.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:18 PM

What he said ^^^
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 01-19-2018, 12:25 PM

I wouldn't hesitate on that one!
Scott
Old 01-19-2018, 01:07 PM

Default GPCPA4 vs ON 40R

Better woods, Ebony fingerboard and bridge vs richlite on the Martin, a smaller size that you say you'd like to go to.

What's not to like?

Go for it!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM

You need to try one first!

Martin has that signature Martin tone. You might miss that. Different neck profiles could also be a deal breaker. You need to play and hear a Larr first. I’ve yet to try one that made me want to buy it.

Last edited by ahorsewithnonam; 01-19-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I need to try one first!

Martin has that signature Martin tone. You might miss that. Different neck profiles could also be a deal breaker. You need to play and hear a Larr first. I’ve yet to try one that made me want to buy it.
Boy, the 000-60 I was gasing over still haunts me. The tone of that sucker was wondrous!!
Scott
Old 01-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

If you like it better, it's a good deal.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperrob View Post
I am thinking about selling my Martin GPCPA4 rosewood to fund a Larrivee OM 40R. If I get what I think I can for my Martin, I should come out even when all is said and done. I would really like a smaller guitar with an ebony finger board. I will probably miss the cutaway but the Larrivee sounds pretty good on all of the youtube videos I've listened to. Good deal or a bad one?
The OM40R is a nice guitar, but Larrivee's are not for everyone. They have a different voice. Most have a conical (changing) radius to the fret board that some folks don't get along with. You would have to play one to know for sure. But if you know that you like Larrivee guitars, then yes I would make that trade.

I would never try to judge the tone of an acoustic guitar just by on-line videos, unless it was something unique that I really wanted and videos were the only option. There are too many variables in the signal chain, compression algorithms, your speakers, etc.

Only you can decide if the lack of a cutaway is a deal-breaker. I know it is a big deal to some here, but I really could not care less about ebony versus Richlite finger boards. Sound, playability, sound, appearance, sound and then finally materials are my priorities. Then sound........
Old 01-19-2018, 03:23 PM

Don't rely on a U-Tube video when judging an instruments tone. Play as many of the guitars you are gassing for in person and not amplified. Rely on your ears and not any preconceived ideas such as something must sound better because of materials, etc.

Unless you really hate the Martin, keep it and save up for what you are gassing for. Their's nothing wrong with having more than one color on your sonic palette.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Probably a pretty good step up.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:19 PM

in most cases,I would take a Larrivee over a Martin
in this case, yes, most certainly
Dave
Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The OM40R is a nice guitar, but Larrivee's are not for everyone. They have a different voice. Most have a conical (changing) radius to the fret board that some folks don't get along with. You would have to play one to know for sure. But if you know that you like Larrivee guitars, then yes I would make that trade.

I would never try to judge the tone of an acoustic guitar just by on-line videos, unless it was something unique that I really wanted and videos were the only option. There are too many variables in the signal chain, compression algorithms, your speakers, etc.

Only you can decide if the lack of a cutaway is a deal-breaker. I know it is a big deal to some here, but I really could not care less about ebony versus Richlite finger boards. Sound, playability, sound, appearance, sound and then finally materials are my priorities. Then sound........
Your thoughts about the radius are interesting - after owning the guitar for almost two years, I was trying to figure out what it was about the neck that was different, then I realized how flat it is. Then I realized that I wished that it had more of an arc to it, like my Strat. Sound wise, well I did upgrade the saddle and bridgepins and it sure held its own against a Lakewood one night at a jam. More than anything, I would really like something a little more comfortable for the couch.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
in most cases,I would take a Larrivee over a Martin
in this case, yes, most certainly
Dave
Thanks Daveyo
Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull S6 View Post
Don't rely on a U-Tube video when judging an instruments tone. Play as many of the guitars you are gassing for in person and not amplified. Rely on your ears and not any preconceived ideas such as something must sound better because of materials, etc.

Unless you really hate the Martin, keep it and save up for what you are gassing for. Their's nothing wrong with having more than one color on your sonic palette.
I'm going to my local store tomorrow - not sure if they have the model I want but the last time I was there, they did have a Larrivee OM. I will spend as much time as I can with it to really make my mind up. I do agree about judging a guitar based on youtube videos but bear in mind that I listen to dozens and dozens to get as much of a sampling as I can.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion