The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 04:51 AM

Default Could use a little input on a used GC purchase

I bought a used Takamine 2005 Limited Edition from GC. All solid sapele with spruce top.

I picked it up last Saturday and it is just one amazing, resonating guitar. I have played a LOT of guitars these past few years from many brands and price ranges. This Takamine just blows me away. Also, I love that 1.75" neck and have realized what I'v been missing playing that neck size. It made me a better player the instant I picked it up.

The problem - it was listed in Excellent condition. There is very evident fret wear on the first 3 frets. There is only one slight buzz with 1 note on the B string but the fret wear will need to be addressed one day. I called the store and he was very cordial and said would work with me but not to the point of a re-fret or fret replacement.

I really do not want to send the guitar back but will if I feel I have overpaid. This darn guitar is so easy to play with that fat neck and sounds so beautiful. I honestly just am not sure I could find another amazing sounding guitar for a little under a grand without another extensive search. Ughhh!

With all of your experience, do I bite the bullet and get it fixed with a slight refund from GC or get back on that search? It's a keeper besides that fret issue.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 AM

I would visit a luthier to get an idea as to what it would cost to get whatever work it needs, then see what GC offers in discount.

If the final price from GC allows for repairs to be done without having the total price exceed the value of the guitar on the used market then go ahead and make the deal.

I had a similar experience with GC, buying a guitar which their website described as Great Condition. I called to talk to a salesperson that could put hands on the guitar and he told me there was a large crack in the back. I got $200 off, but when I had it checked by a luthier, the cost to repair would have made it cost me more than that guitar, with repaired cracks, would be worth. I tried to get more money off but the local GC wouldn't do it so I decided to give it to them and get a full refund.

The next day, the guitar was back up for sale at full price listed before the discount I got by calling, and described as being in Great Condition.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 01-19-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:28 AM

You probably only need to have the frets dressed and the store might compensate you that cost.

I just had the frets dressed on a Les Paul that had significant grooving of the first few frets and it plays like a different instrument.

Don’t let GC do the work, find perhaps a certified Martin repair person in your area. It should cost around $100.

Good luck! You’ll be happy with the results.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 AM

It's hard to be totally definitive, but you've played a lot of guitars and this one far exceeds the rest. That would be worth a lot for me, even if the fret work was a bit more expensive than the discount.

Time is no doubt a factor, but you should be able to get an estimate from a luthier for the needed fret work. Then it's negotiation time, immediately followed by decision time.

I don't know your wallet, but the fact that you selected this guitar easily over a lot of others would say a lot to me. Don't save $50 and regret it for the next few years.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-19-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
It's hard to be totally definitive, but you've played a lot of guitars and this one far exceeds the rest. That would be worth a lot for me, even if the fret work was a bit more expensive than the discount.

Time is no doubt a factor, but you should be able to get an estimate from a luthier for the needed fret work. Then it's negotiation time, immediately followed by decision time.

I don't know your wallet, but the fact that you selected this guitar easily over a lot of others would say a lot to me. Don't save $50 and regret it for the next few years.
My thoughts exactly. Don't let a couple dollars or the perception that you got rooked separate you from a guitar you love. If you send it back, what are you going to do then?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:06 AM

GARY ! Keep that great guitar !
As posters just above have said , get it fixed, couple of frets don’t cost a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.
A lot of folks here seem to routinely price in at least a set up on any guitar they buy.

There’s a saying I’ve heard that covers it , something like -
“the value of a beautiful thing remains (or maybe continues to increase) long after the cost is forgotten.”
Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

Don’t let GC do the work, ...
^ This X1000
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Guest 1511

So you have learned that you absolutely cannot believe GC's descriptions of their used guitars. And their photos (ahem, photo) is usually small and blurry. If it was eBay we'd pass right over such a lousy presentation. But, alas, you have it and now, what to do?

Money doesn't buy happiness, but guitars create happiness. If you feel you can get it re-fretted or dressed even if GC won't pay for it and not have that bug you for the rest of your life, then you should probably do it. It's hard to find guitars that resonate so well with one personally, so you might not want to be too quick to put an absolute dollar figure on that.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:30 AM

As long as you paid a fair "in the ballpark" price for the guitar, I wouldn't let some fretwear bother me in the least - particularly if I really really liked the feel and tone of the guitar!

Frets take a LOT of playing to get to the point where they need attention.

Figure on ~$250-$300 for a refret in the future, but my guess (without seeing pictures) is your guitar is many years away from needing it.

When you consider the dollars-per-hour of playtime cost of fretwear - it's basically a fart in a hurricane...

EDIT TO ADD:

Just reread the thread, and saw that GC said they'll give you some money towards a fret redress and/or setup. A technician/luthier will dress those frets and setup your guitar for under $100. Take GC up on the offer and enjoy your guitar for a long time! Just don't have GC do the work...
Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 AM

You have been given some good information.
Even if the cost of the work puts the price of the guitar a small amount over the value of the guitar, it may still be worth keeping.
Remember that fret work and set ups are part of owning a guitar.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:30 PM

Thanks guys. At work and I’ll be sure to respond later. Appreciate all of the input.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:40 PM

Thanks for all of the input. There is an expression that basically says to make a quick decision, flip a coin in the air and decide before it hits. I typically ask myself that question and on the way to work I was deciding it's a keeper.

I had read about luthier John Higgins on this forum a while back who is local in St. Louis. I tracked him down to setup my other Takamine after 2 other guys attempted too. He did a great job so I will seek his advice with this guitar too.

(He works out of Tower Music in Fenton for those looking for a great setup person. I believe basic setups are done by the in-house techs but the more in-depth repairs go to him)

Here's the good part. It is not an emergency right now for fret work. It still plays wonderfully. I still have 40 ish days to decide and this time will let me
make sure all is well with the full functionality of this guitar. I'll get his input so I can call the GC store in Fort Collins to see about that discount even if it is slight. They were very responsive so this is not a knock on them.

Thank you all for the wonderful responses.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post

I couldn't say it any better than this.^^^^^^
Old 01-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Figure on ~$250-$300 for a refret in the future, but my guess (without seeing pictures) is your guitar is many years away from needing it.
You only need the first 3 frets replaced. There are 20 frets on that guitar, I presume.
3/20 = 15% of the frets need replacing. 15% of $250 = $37.50 and 15% of $300.00 is $45.00.

Maybe for about $50.00 you could get the first 3 frets replaced.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 PM

Typically - frets run in the ballpark of $20 each give or take depending on the place... That's a very low cost to sort out an otherwise fantastic guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion