The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Default keeping guitars out of case

i keep my two year old Martin OM28 out of the case year round. also my 50 year old D28 . the D28 stays in tune ,never has aproblem [none adjustable neck]. my new OM28 constantly needs the neck adjusted! i buzzes alot! keep a humidifier in the area of both guitars .what the heck!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

I keep mine in the cases to preserve the smell. I even shut the case while it's out to help contain that deliciousness.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 PM

When not in use mine are always in their cases.
My guitars are expensive, and safer in the case.

That nothing bad has ever happened to them when left out for years doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow.

I don't tolerate unnecessary risk to my precious babies.
If you do, fine.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:32 PM

Default keeping guitars out of case

My guess is the newer wood of the OM needs to settle. Much like a new house, it takes time for things to shift and settle. The newer wood probably absorbs more moisture or loses more moisture than the older wood of the D, causing the fluctuations you are seeing.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 PM

Good luck with your system. You'll need it to continue.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-18-2018, 09:14 PM

I keep mine out and ready to play all the time. The only exceptions are when my nieces come over, when the humidity drops (like now), or when my wife is in “a mood.” Then they’re safely in their cases and quite possibly hidden in a secret location.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-18-2018, 10:06 PM

I usually keep 3 acoustics out during the summer. During the winter it depends on how well I can maintain humidity. If I can keep 40%+ then there doesn't seem to be a reason not to leave them hanging where I can play them. Right now RH in office/studio is 45%.

I know for myself that if my guitars are out it is likely that I'll pick them up several times during the day. If they are cased they can stay that way for days. I believe it is like that for most folks.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 PM

It's a gambling issue really. If you want to spend unnecessary money on repairs, then go ahead and do as you have been doing. Just remember you've been warned! Humidifying is essential, I don't care what your other guitar has or hasn't done. From here on in, you better be humidifying them. If you leave them out, get a humidifier for the room, if you leave them in cases, get a Damp-it or Humidipacks and put them in their cases, in the Winter or whenever the humidity drops too low.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Nope. Not gonna do it. Not gonna take the risk. Mine always remain safely and securely in their cases and properly humidified until they are to be played. Takes what - all of 30 seconds to take it out?

Last edited by HeyMikey; 01-19-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 PM

Eggzactly! Besides it's good thing to get a little workout when going for a guitar. Cheaper and more beneficial than paying for something later that you shouldn't have had to.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:48 PM

Default A paradox?

I get it. With indoor humidity usually near 25%, I'm humidifying inside the cases and throughout the rooms. But aren't we all also waiting for the happy day when our tonewoods have dried out enough to really sing?

I think I see a paradox here...humidity is essential,but we want to wind up with dried woods.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 01-18-2018, 11:52 PM

Yes but over years, not in one winter season and fearing cracks. That's too dried out for me.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:05 AM

My guitars are out all year round excepting times when extended very cold conditions taxes my humidifiers to the point where they are unable to keep up, at which point they go in their cases with a sponge humidifier until things normalize...

Like now. I've been playing my old plywood Checkmate today, which probably could be used as a boat oar without being affected by moisture or lack thereof.

And then things like this happen...
Yesterday I came home from work and my wife told me there was no power to her home office and my home office/guitar room, which are adjacent. It turned out to be just a loose fuse, but with the humidifier not functioning the humidity levels had quickly dropped to the mid 30% and falling...

Which one reason I case my guitars if I'm away for a couple of days, too.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:20 AM

Yep, just a good place for them for this and other reasons that are out of our control. What you want is control,,,,all the time.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
My guess is the newer wood of the OM needs to settle. Much like a new house, it takes time for things to shift and settle. The newer wood probably absorbs more moisture or loses more moisture than the older wood of the D, causing the fluctuations you are seeing.
Yes, sounds like the OM needs to settle in. Old guitars sure can impress for stability and consistent performance. All those new guitars on the market are just looking for a stable home

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion