The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 AM

Default 1st attempt-Large diaphragm & small diaphragm condenser mics in stereo on acoustic

I've always used just the Audio Technica 4040 solo, but bought a Neumann KMS 105 for live vocals.....Experimented with dual condensers on my new tune. The large diaphragm Audio Technica is set 6" away from soundhole, the Neumann small diaphragm at the 12th fret, same 6". I know the Neumann is not a "pencil" condenser, but it captures my VOX really well so I decided to try something. For the VOX I used the Neumann....

The guitar is a Taylor 812 CE 12 fret, tune standard with custom light 11's Elixirs......

Still a rough mix, but thoughts anyone? You can mention anything on mix as well........

I give my life to You

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

Last edited by SteveA; 05-30-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 AM

Hi Steve
What a great tune!
Great build up to grandiose finale.
Good job on that.

The guitars sound great, a big and wide entrance after the first Verse.

The mix itself is very, very good too.
I'm an amateur myself in mixing, so everything I have to say on that has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but I think maybe your voice sound a little thin in the mix.. Maybe you can put some EQ on one or more of the instruments to see if there's some frequencies that "collide" with your voice?

Also, and this is a matter of preference, maybe a little bit more reverb on your voice?

All in all, a very good song, great playing, and what I just suggested is no more than nitpicking, and it may be better to leave well enough alone, because it really does sound good.

My tracks on SoundCloud (Lønhart Duo):

YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZT...HIR4tGnwhusf8w

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Gretch G5420T Electromatic
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series 250
Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 AM

Nice indeed, personally I would add a little bit of compression on the vocal and check the EQ, there is something a little muddy (sorry I'm not an English native speaker) but can't figure out where it comes from...
Great premix
Christian
www.acoustictonestudio.com
Old 06-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I am listening on my laptop earbuds I will try on my studio monitors and HP'S, later and comment then also

With the earbuds first I really like the entire approach and feel of the song it's great.
On the mix I personally would like here more differentiation between the instruments
Are you using narrow band (Q) subtractive EQ ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
With the earbuds first I really like the entire approach and feel of the song it's great.
On the mix I personally would like here more differentiation between the instruments
Hey Kev

Possibly because I chose to go stereo guitars and piano? Hadn't really thought about that, I guess as the song develops it definitely goes "wall of sound" vibe.

I will have to look at how I can maybe close the gap on that

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Hey Kev

Possibly because I chose to go stereo guitars and piano? Hadn't really thought about that, I guess as the song develops it definitely goes "wall of sound" vibe.

I will have to look at how I can maybe close the gap on that
Yes possibly, as one adds more instruments to the mix and especially if they are all in stereo and all hard paned 100% R & L (which in stereo means it is actually sounding from the entire left to right soundstage) then entire sound field Left to Right , becomes more and more crowded and diffuse and less defined .
How to address this on this mix may depend somewhat on which DAW you are using and how it handles stereo panning.
But as I said also in more general way besides panning to get better separation (no matter which DAW) is to do relatively narrow band subtractive EQ 'ing to carve out slightly different spaces in the frequency spectrum for each of the different instruments and your vocals to sit in .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD