The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-12-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
... My past preference for necks has been for thin, but I'm finding that my wrist is starting to hurt more with the thin than with the thick necks--life is a wonderment.
This is a very common comment at the store, and it's why the Rainsong N2 neck became so popular.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Guest 928

Tom 2;

I fail to see how neck shape could get too precise since the comfort zone would have to match a hand shape and size. I can see a common denominator, for example the RS Parlor seems to fit a lot of hands. To be precise, as with shoes, necks would have to come in a variety of sizes. Just a thought....
Old 05-13-2017, 03:35 PM

I remember a thread a few years ago where Ted pointed out that the NS neck is actually thinner at it's center than a Taylor 12 fret neck. However, the NS is clearly perceived as thicker because the profile has broad, slightly boxy, shoulders. While many people like the NS neck, there is significant vocal opposition. So much so that, when I first tried one, I was braced for the worst. Turns out that I didn't mind it at all, but I do understand how some players would find the shoulders to be an obstruction.

So, the real issue isn't center thickness. It's contour. The beauty of an ellipse is that it never gets flat or pointy. The curve is always continuous, and it can be adjusted from a perfect semi-circle to something that is almost flat.

I agree that for perfect optimization, there is no "one size fits all." That's why an ellipse is so attractive, because it's not just one size.

One future optimization, that Alistair is clearly already tapping into, is the ability to make inexpensive custom neck molds that don't reduce quality of the finished product. When ordering a guitar, one could specify neck profile just as easily as a photographer can specify aperture and focal length when purchasing a new lens.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:09 PM
Guest 928

Tom 2;

Yes, and isn't that great! I've done a lot of work with Alistair and it has been a great experience. I've had some pretty outlandish ideas and he's managed to keep to keep me within what works and what pushes the development of CF guitars.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

Just to bring this to the front, and to tweak Ted a bit, the nylon strung Emerald is on its way. I have no idea how long it will take. The idea is to touch new frontiers. I have the scale down & the nut width. And I've picked out my veneer--the ebony. Now it's up to Alistair. We had first talked about black sides and back with the ebony face. I've advanced the idea of white sides and back with gold tuners AND a gold hound. I'm not sitting on the porch, waiting for delivery, but I'm waiting.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Sounds very cool Evan. In the context of this build, I assume that when you say black vs. white b&s, you're meaning solid as opposed to exposed weave. Iirc correctly, at one point you had had an all gloss solid white CA Cargo which looked real cool. Of course it's hard to know without seeing how the ebony will look with its finish next to black and white to compare, but perhaps Alistair may be able to present the options to you for last minute decision. I'm only speculating, but if the shade of the ebony with its finish is not real close to the solid white, then it may not look as good as it might with black. Hard to say, and like I said, hopefully you'll be able to actually see the options before deciding. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:19 AM
Guest 928

Tom;

You are absolutely right on the white. My concern has been the possibility of a slight yellowish cast in the ebony which would not look good with a solid white. I'm not sure whether to weave or not to weave--that is a question. With a thin bodied electric a solid color is probably best for the back and sides.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 PM

I thought the same thing when I saw the word, "white," but I didn't want to say anything because it's not my guitar. Now that you have said something about it ...

I think the royal ebony is a great choice, and a solid color makes perfect sense. However, if the light area of the ebony is not pure white (and I'm sure it isn't), a pure white body will make the ebony look dirty or dull (which it also isn't). The idea is to choose a color that allows the ebony to really pop.

My guess is that the pigment of a solid color can be adjusted as easily as house paint to perfectly match the slight cream tone of the ebony, and this would be my first choice. If this isn't possible for some reason, I would definitely not use pure white.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
I thought the same thing when I saw the word, "white," but I didn't want to say anything because it's not my guitar. Now that you have said something about it ...

I think the royal ebony is a great choice, and a solid color makes perfect sense. However, if the light area of the ebony is not pure white (and I'm sure it isn't), a pure white body will make the ebony look dirty or dull (which it also isn't). The idea is to choose a color that allows the ebony to really pop.

My guess is that the pigment of a solid color can be adjusted as easily as house paint to perfectly match the slight cream tone of the ebony, and this would be my first choice. If this isn't possible for some reason, I would definitely not use pure white.
I agree that color matching the royal ebony is best and the only way I would personally opt for a whitish shade. If it can't be identically matched, I'd go for solid black. I don't know if anyone has seen an Emerald with solid black b&s, so fwiw, here are some Emerald photos of my amber topped Chimaera. Evan, it has the gold Emerald headstock emblems. My upcoming new coco topped Chimaera will also have the solid black b&s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (30.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.jpg (19.1 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

Thank all of you. Color matching is the way to go. Sean, I hope you are paying attention....
Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 PM

My Amber T8 is the little sister to Tom's doubleneck, sharing the exact similar color scheme.

Not to influence you, Evan, but personally I think royal ebony with a solid black b&s is a perfectly contrasting, yet simple (in a good way), killer combo. Let that ebony shines, I say.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Thank all of you. Color matching is the way to go. Sean, I hope you are paying attention....
Always Evan!

While we have mainly used amber for darker wood veneers such as Bubinga, Cocobolo and others, we have in the past made a call and used a darker, root beer colour. A good example for this would be the very first Select Series we did in January.
X20 Woody (BEye-VA) (Ele) Cust_20 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

When we saw the colours of the louro preto veneers used in the February Select Series, we chose to use black. This was a great success and has actually inspired other customers to go for a similar combination.

X20 Woody (Louro Preto)(Ele) SS (B)_14 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr

Some customers have entrusted us with making the call on which colour to use for them, but we are also working with customers all the time offering them various options and suggestions before doing the paint work.

If anyone has further queries, we are always here to answer any questions you may have.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Last edited by Emerald Guitars; 05-31-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:12 AM
Guest 928

Sean;

The black weave with the ebony face would look pretty good, as would a solid black. A white matched to the cream of the ebony would also look pretty good. I look forward to hearing Alistair's choice.........
Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Sean, I have to compliment you on your good taste, and showing off that lovely louro preto veneer (and how the black sets it off)... of course, I may be just a bit biased.

After playing the X20 this morning and checking in here, I showed my lovely wife that image... "Oh, that's your guitar!"

Then she said, "So... when you custom order the next one, what veneer would you choose?"

That was "when," not "if." She also mentioned, "You might want to off load a couple that you aren't playing so you can make some room."

The woman is an enabler.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:25 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

There is something to be said about having and playing a beautiful guitar. And you are doubly blessed with a beautiful enabler.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber