The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: CA Tribal GX Wide Neck With onboard Aura

Hi Everyone,

(This is a copy of a post from the MacNichol Carbon Guitar Forum)

I just wanted to share a few pics & thoughts on my new CA GX Tribal that I got from Michael about 2 weeks ago. For those of you who attended the 2012 Carbon fest you probably got to see or maybe play this guitar. I really love it and it was just what I wanted sound wise to add to my Carbon guitar collection.

My main gigging acoustic for the last 3 to 4 years has been a pre-peavey CA Bluegrass Legacy with Fishman Aura onboard. It was one of the later guitars produced before shutting their doors. It has been hands down my favorite acoustic guitar I’ve ever owed and just sounds awesome plugged in. With this guitar I was using it in a 4 piece Country/Rock band with Big Sound systems most of the time. (Think Marty Stuart type band) Called “The Fabulous Bender Boys” We gigged a whole bunch and was an opening act a good bit in front of a lot of today’s & yesterdays type top country Bands. So I’ve played this guitar through some huge sound and Monitor systems. With the onboard Aura this has been the best sound I’ve ever achieved in these high volume situations. Well after 10 years with this fantastic band we are gonna call it quits at the end of the year. Everyone has had a great time but would like to do other things.

I’ve now formed a new 3 piece acoustic band (Guitar, Bass, & Cajon) that I’m really digging after all the years of “Turning it up” I’m now “Turning it down” so to speak playing smaller clubs, Winery’s and such. We are doing a lot of stuff that I write but also some great cover tunes as well. I wanted a little smaller guitar that was good for some finger style-ish stuff (think James Taylor, Fogelberg, CSN) and would be a tad more comfy to play sitting. The GX fits the bill & then some!

I did not set out to buy the Tribal finish but finding any kind of wide neck GX With onboard Aura was like finding a needle in a haystack. I contacted Michael to probably order one and he said he had this one coming in for Carbon fest. So I told him “Put me on the list” I’d love to have a chance at it. I know some people don’t care for the Tribal Design but I have to tell you in person this guitar is striking to say the least. The color is much richer than most of the pics can capture.

If fact I loved Michael’s set-up & attention to detail so much that I just sent my Bluegrass CA to him to get some tweaks and TLC.

Buying a guitar from MacNichol’s has been one of the very best guitar buying experiences I’ve ever had. You get so much support beyond the guitar purchase itself and add to the fact that there are all of you very knowledgeable carbon guitar enthusiast on this forum willing to help and encourage. It’s a total Win/Win for Carbon lovers everywhere!

Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Neato... just sayin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM

I love it. Definitely looks better in real life. I never got a chance to play it, but I'm sure it is a cannon like all GX's.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Those GX's are my favorite CF guitars. Nice choice, and a wide neck to boot!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:16 AM

That's a beauty, Jim!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Great looking guitar - congrats!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Jim that's a beauty for certain. I also have a CA GX that I gig with predominately these days.

Wondering if you're able to download images with your onboard Aura. Since the Aura on the GX is proprietary to CA, I've found that the standard Aura Gallery will not recognize it (message "connected device not a Fishman retail product").

Any insight would be fantastic, and indeed, Michael at MacNichol is fantastic to work with and a great guy.

Steve-R
www.stevereebmusic.com
Old 10-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-R View Post
Jim that's a beauty for certain. I also have a CA GX that I gig with predominately these days.

Wondering if you're able to download images with your onboard Aura. Since the Aura on the GX is proprietary to CA, I've found that the standard Aura Gallery will not recognize it (message "connected device not a Fishman retail product").

Any insight would be fantastic, and indeed, Michael at MacNichol is fantastic to work with and a great guy.

Steve-R
www.stevereebmusic.com
Hi Steve,

No I have not tried to download any images and probably won't. They really have this dialed in so well I can't imagine being able to find anything any better. There are several I like on this a good bit.

There would have to be something close I'd think but probably not these originals. sorry I'm not more help but that's why I wanted this GX with Aura from the factory as i've messed with some of ther gallery sounds on other guitars with mixed results into an Aura pedal.

Jim

Jim
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks, Jim. I just like trying different sounds - just out of curiosity, which pre-set do you like the best on the Aura?

I'll be using the CA at tonight's gig, along with my trusty Gibson Songwriter. A very nice combination.

Thanks again, best always -

Steve
Old 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-R View Post
Thanks, Jim. I just like trying different sounds - just out of curiosity, which pre-set do you like the best on the Aura?

I'll be using the CA at tonight's gig, along with my trusty Gibson Songwriter. A very nice combination.

Thanks again, best always -

Steve
Hey Steve,

This is the list of Aura images that come downloaded on the GX model. I like a few of them but have really settled on Number 5 as my go to image for live use anyway. Maybe you can come up with something very close off of the Fishman Library.

1.DPA 4011 small diaphragm condenser
2. Neumann M147 large diaphragm condenser
3. Shure® Beta58® dynamic cardioid
4. Neumann KM84 small diaphragm condenser
5. Neumann U87 large diaphragm condenser
6. Schoeps CMC64g small diaphragm condenser

Hope this helps you some & good luck to you.

Jim
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 PM

Quick question! Is this a one off design, or are they going to offer this model for sale? That is truly awesome!
One more. Do you know if they offer custom paint schemes similar to this?
I have a CA ox, and it's one of my favorites. Think a GX would be the perfect gigging guitar for me.
Taylor 914 Cindy
Taylor T5 Koa
RTaylor Moon and Koa
Carbon Acoustics OX
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRosson View Post
Quick question! Is this a one off design, or are they going to offer this model for sale? That is truly awesome!
One more. Do you know if they offer custom paint schemes similar to this?
I have a CA ox, and it's one of my favorites. Think a GX would be the perfect gigging guitar for me.

This in not a one off finish although I would suspect they are more of a custom ordered guitar rather than any shop stocking them. I did find a place that stocks (Or at least did have in stock) a couple of the Tribal finish Cargo's. Look at this link.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ight=composite

As I had stated in my original post I had contacted MacNichols about ordering a GX with Aura with probably just a stock Black Carbonburst finish and Michael told me he had this coming in for an event they were having called "Carbon Fest" so when he sent me pics I was hooked and sent him a down payment. I was in the right place at the right time for once.

I don't really think they offer custom type finishes like something you suggest to them. I could be wrong but I think this follows a pattern they have but you can have it in several different color choices.

If you do try to order one I would strongly suggest MacNichol's as he really seems to have a great relationship with CA and he has as good of prices as anyone but with them you get such great individual service it's really as far as I'm concerned the best place to buy a Carbon guitar of any make. Just my opinion as I know there are plenty of great shops out there but I've had such great luck with them it's easy to sing there praises!

Here is a link to there shop. If you call make sure you talk to Michael.

http://macnichol.com/

Hope this helps you some.
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

Last edited by benderman57; 10-23-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM

It's my understanding that CA is working on a process to allow ANY design to be printed on their guitars sometime in the near future.

I'm going to order my beach guitar as a white Cargo with a coyote howling at the moon in deep blue on it the second that's available!
facebook
Instagram
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog Guitars View Post
It's my understanding that CA is working on a process to allow ANY design to be printed on their guitars sometime in the near future.

I'm going to order my beach guitar as a white Cargo with a coyote howling at the moon in deep blue on it the second that's available!
WOW! that would be super cool, Thanks for the heads up. By the way your store looks awesome!
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber