The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 PM

I love my RainSong DR-100 bought around 2002. Humidity proof 100%. I leave it out year round in the living room and all it needs is occasional dusting! Keeps in tune. and the crystal clear sound is wonderful.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

They're definitely great guitars. I've got the two shown below and plenty of firewood so I'm ready for the winter....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Guest 720

I am gassing for a Rainsong like crazy too, just wish I had someplace close by to test drive a few...especially both necks! I'm down to the CO-WS1000 or the Shorty, both with short scale necks. I am leaning towards the N1 neck as my understanding it is close to the Taylor neck which I love. My thinking is that the design of the N1 neck is that is will be already set at the correct angle, and will not move for there, so in theory should never need to be adjusted. Any improvements to playability should be able to be accomplished with the saddle and/or nut.
I am also thinking the CO-WS with a slightly wider and deeper body will deliver a bit more bass? Anyone side by side compare the two? I guess the overall body length and therefore overall guitar length will be the same, assuming the same neck on each.
I really want this guitar to dominate my playing time, on the couch, at the beach, on camping trips, etc., even at any local jams with fellow board members!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
I am gassing for a Rainsong like crazy too, just wish I had someplace close by to test drive a few...especially both necks! I'm down to the CO-WS1000 or the Shorty, both with short scale necks. I am leaning towards the N1 neck as my understanding it is close to the Taylor neck which I love. My thinking is that the design of the N1 neck is that is will be already set at the correct angle, and will not move for there, so in theory should never need to be adjusted. Any improvements to playability should be able to be accomplished with the saddle and/or nut.
I am also thinking the CO-WS with a slightly wider and deeper body will deliver a bit more bass? Anyone side by side compare the two? I guess the overall body length and therefore overall guitar length will be the same, assuming the same neck on each.
I really want this guitar to dominate my playing time, on the couch, at the beach, on camping trips, etc., even at any local jams with fellow board members!

First of all, just to clarify, the Short scale neck is ONLY available in the N2 neck profile, with truss rod and all.

If you are looking at a CO-WS, I would strongly encourage checking out the
LA2-LE. It is basically a Shorty with a WS body. So, it will have the unidirectional top of the CO-WS, and it will have the short scale that you want. The main difference is the Concert series has all carbon back/sides, and the LA2-LE and Shorty have the hybrid back/sides. I believe it will cost quite a bit less, and I don't think you'll be sacrificing much, if any, in the tone department.

A month or so ago I made the exact same decision. I was deciding between the shorty and the LA2-LE. I was not able to play a CO-WS or the LA2-LE, but I was able to play a Shorty side by side with an original WS, and I liked the Shorty a lot better. Part of that is the comfort of the shallower body (personal preference), and part of it I'm sure is the unidirectional top, which you'll get whatever you choose. But the Shorty just clicked with me when I played it. I've loved it so far.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Guest 720

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what the heck is the LA2-LE? I don't see that on the web site.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what the heck is the LA2-LE? I don't see that on the web site.
Sorry. It's a limited edition. You can find details here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=256147

And a satisfied customer here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=263519

I really like the look of it, but I just like the shallow body of the shorty too much.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber