The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-30-2008, 10:45 AM

Default How good are Composite Acoustics guitars??

There are those in AGF land who have played hundreds if not thousands of guitars. I am hoping some of you guys can help me here. There are others of course who have only played dozens of guitars (like me) but still have firm opinions about what you like. Please bring your comments as well.

I am looking to get a 5i or 7i (now a GXi) at some point. This is the full size one with the offset sound hole. I will not be able to try one out where I live, nor can I try out any acoustics that are in the $2000+ range.

What does the offset sound hole (full size) Composite Acoustics guitar compare to tone quality wise?
Does it compare to guitars in the $2000 - $4000 range?
Does it compare to guitars in the $4000 - $6000 range?
Or is it just an okay guitar that gives you no hassle?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 AM

I had the oportunity to play 3 this past weekend at my gathering. Two Cargos and a Legacy. They were remarkably nice. Great tone, playability, sustain............I would LOVE to own a Cargo.

Everyone at the gathering who played them wasd DUELY impressed.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:02 AM

Elliot...I've been playing acoustic guitars since about 1975 and have played a great many. Vintage Martins, Taylors, Goodalls, etc and for the past year have been playing a CA Cargo-CE and now a CA 7iM-CE and to me there's really nothing that sounds as good in their price range and several ranges above them. The closest guitar that I have felt sounded better than my 7i is a McPherson Redwood/Ziricote that was approx. 3 times the cost of the 7i. I would love to own the Mac but I don't have that kind of money. The offset soundhole, much like the Mac design, enhances the bass response primarily to the player but also projects nicely to the listener. The little Cargo is just in a league all it's own for it's size. If you want a full bodied instrument though the 5 or 7i or whatever they are calling them now are absolutely fantastic IMHO.

Jim B
Old 09-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Hey,

I am glad you are thinking of CA's. I am playing a 8 series performer, now called something else. They are beast. I went with a friend to try out a couple guitars, and they compared favorably against some of the Martins' I played. (D-28, HD-28, D-35) Granted, the higher level guitars won't be able to compare, but CA's sound real good. surprisingly, they have nice bass response, and sound extremely balanced. I know that one day I will own one for sure. the added benefits of it being carbon fiber, just make it a complete deal.
~Michael
Old 09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Having owned both rainsongs and CA's, I'm more of a CA fan. I don't see one as being clearly better than the other, much like the SCGC / Collings debates or Martin/Taylor debates on the web, other than to say they are different. I found the rainsongs to be lighter in weight and a bit more responsive (not necessarily louder), but lacking in the fit, finish & playability departments. The CA's play like butter, can handle a heavier hand (and strings), are flawless in their construction and setup, but are heavier in weight and not quite as responsive to a very light touch. Volume of the two is comparable, but I'd say the CA's are a little louder with more headroom and are more comfortable to hold (on your lap & with a strap) and play. The rainsongs I've owned all needed to be attended to in terms of setup over time, which is kind of difficult since you don't have a truss rod and you can't reset the neck, and after a few years I could never get the action back as low as where I originally had it. Both my CA's have not budged since I got them, and I have lights on one of them (X Performer) and mediums on the other (Vintage Dread Performer)... not sure what the current names for these guitars are since they changed the names in their lineup. The X has a built in pickup that's adjustable through the soundhole, and it sounds fantastic. The Dread had a Baggs system I was not particularly fond of because of some feedback issues, so I removed the pickup AND the barndoor controls (had a friend trim out the barndoor with a piece of ebony, and now I have a slick soundport that sounds fantastic) and I put in a fishman piezo under the saddle pickup and I get a plugged in tone that works great in gigging situations without any feedback issues.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 09-30-2008, 01:15 PM

I have a GXi-CE in the RT finish. It plays extremely well - as well as any guitar I've ever played no matter the cost. And it sounds pretty good - I'd compare it favorably to anything in it's price range.

The configuration makes medium strings unnecessary. I'm currently enjoying Newtone Heritage 12-51's. And this is a plus for my achy-stiff fingers. They pick and strum very nicely.

In the end, I'd suggest NEVER buying a guitar sight unseen. Play a CA for yourself and find out if you like them.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:03 PM

I sold a really sweet Taylor 814CE to buy my GX performer( which is now called a M8CE) I have never looked back. plays like the day I bought it and still SOUNDS like the day I bought it. Almost a year now.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I ordered a Cargo this past March based solely on the initial hype after my Baby Taylor got destroyed. I'm not an "early-adopter" (marketing-speak) by nature, but I needed a travel-size guitar on short notice, so I pursued a Cargo and with the help of a fellow AGFer (fitness1), I was able to acquire a new one quick. After approximately 6 months now, I absolutely love it for so many reasons. It wasn't hype, it was truth. I don't have that many guitars, but I play it much more than my others. I've since had the opportunity to try a 7M and 8M, and was impressed. Based on this overall experience with CA guitars, my preference for the offset soundhole/integrated top bracing of the Cargo design in particular, and the reviews of others who have bought a 5iM or 7iM, I had absolutely no hesitation to order a 7iM in tobacco burst (now branded GXi in high-gloss). I only have a couple of more weeks to wait. I'm stoked about it, fully expect to be blown-away by it, and feel it will be the best guitar for the $, period.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
I sold a really sweet Taylor 814CE to buy my GX performer( which is now called a M8CE) I have never looked back. plays like the day I bought it and still SOUNDS like the day I bought it. Almost a year now.
Leeasam, CA changed their branding again. The 8M is now a GX.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:13 PM

i had a cargo and was a very nice guitar. lots of bass but still isnt nowhere near the ga3 i bought for 200 more. both being new. not even in the class, but for a travel guitar cant beat it
Old 09-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Default Composite Acoustics are Great Guitars!

I had a CA GX Player and then a CA GX Performer 8M. Both were excellent Guitars! If you had your back turned and someone told you the Guitar you are listening to is made out of a Graphite Composite and no wood you would be astonished. I would love to own a CA Cargo in Carbon (Black) for traveling.
The CA 8M formerly GX Performer has a Cutaway, Excellent Fit and Finish and Top of the line Electronics. My GX Performer 8M had an LR Baggs iMix system which I found to be most excellent. I will buy a CA again! I can't wait to try a few RainSong Guitars to make a comparison. I also can't wait to hear a new CA 8M with the offset soundhole! Just the fact that you do not have to worry about Humidity and Temperature within reason and the Guitar sounds and plays good is absolutely amazing!

It's the Music That Really Matters!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Honestly I went to Artisan Guitars in Franklin, Tn. to find out what all the fuss was about and thought I would be underwhelmed.

As you can see, I ended up buying mine. I love it, honestly, it's everything a guitar should be: easy to play, sounds great, low(no) maintenance and looks cool.

What more do I need? I still love my HD and won't part with it...it has a tone I can only describe as heavenly, but my main playing out guitar is the CA COT.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compurocker View Post
...I also can't wait to hear a new CA 8M with the offset soundhole!
Compurocker, there is no 8 series with offset soundhole, and there won't be. The 8M is now branded as the GX, the former offset soundhole models 5iM and 7iM are now branded as the GXi either in Road Tough (RT) or High-Gloss finish.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Is the Cargo their "travel" guitar? Can someone PM me a street price of one?

-wayne
Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep View Post
Is the Cargo their "travel" guitar? Can someone PM me a street price of one?

-wayne
Yes. PM sent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber