The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 AM

Default Played a CA Cargo today....

So I finally got my hands on a CA Cargo today and was highly impressed with the tone and volume coming out of this little composite guitar... I definiatly want one.... But would I buy one? Unfortunatley the dealer was asking $100 more than he originally quoted me, and said that if I miss out on this one that there is at least a 90 day backlog on these. Got me thinkin. These lil guys are really neat, but very expensive for what it is. I think I may be better off getting a RT X player instead. Full size, better sound, and not all that much more than the Cargo, but a LOT more guitar... Weÿll see how the winds blow... if the Cargo ever comes down in price, than maybe, but if not... I think the X will be gracing my couch soon....

A string here, a string there...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 AM

Default good point

you make a good point. did you get to play an X compared to the Cargo?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

If the dealer was going over the MAP when he first quoted me MAP, then I would never go back to the dealer. If it was below MAP, I would still reconsider going back. Basically, I expect myself to keep my words - as well as any dealer I dealt with.

That said, the Cargo is one hot commodity. It's really stretching CA's capacity apparently - even communications at CA is not what it once was. But I expect this will be remedied - sure hope so.

PTL
Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM

Given how unprepared they were for the demand, I'd expect price to go up rather than down.

I will be curious to hear how the Cargo compares to the X though. I did own and X Player and have a Cargo coming today...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

JasonA,

Too bad you don't have the X. Plugged in, the X was a favorite of many at CA. They say the Cargo produces more sound acoustically than the X. If that's true, I expect it is indeed as good as many says. Love to hear your feedback.

I still wish someone could AB the Santa Cruz Firefly against the Cargo. No question in my mind the Firefly is a better guitar but I'd like to know by how much...subjectively.

PTL
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM

Has anyone compared the Cargo's sound to a Larrivee Parlor or a Go Parlor II or even a Go Grande? The virtual indestructability is a huge plus and reviews indicate it blows away the sound of a Little Martin and a Baby Taylor but what about the next step up tonally?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up

I played 2 Cargos last week and found one to be quite a bit different than the other. The one I preferred offered an unusually warm tone for a composite instrument. The playability was rather light and the tone was more balanced than my old Larrivee parlor The other Cargo sounded extremely "tight" and rather cold IMO.....
If I were considering a purchase, I'd really want to audtion in person.......

Bottom line:

The Cargo seems like a good alternative for a travel guitar especially if you're worried about weather conditions and/ or size........

Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJam View Post
Has anyone compared the Cargo's sound to a Larrivee Parlor or a Go Parlor II or even a Go Grande? The virtual indestructability is a huge plus and reviews indicate it blows away the sound of a Little Martin and a Baby Taylor but what about the next step up tonally?
I've played a Larrivee Parlor and a Cargo (but not back to back or even in the same month).

I've have to say that the Cargo compares very favorably with the Larrivee. I imagine some might prefer the Cargo and others the Larrivee . . . perhaps more would prefer the Cargo if it were a blind-folded test, too. Yes, the Cargo is that good.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDavid View Post
you make a good point. did you get to play an X compared to the Cargo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
Given how unprepared they were for the demand, I'd expect price to go up rather than down.

I will be curious to hear how the Cargo compares to the X though. I did own and X Player and have a Cargo coming today...
I spent a couple of hours and played the cargo, an Xplayer, a X RT, a GX player, and a GX performer. The cargo had a more rounded to to my ears, and seemed quite full for itÿs size... it also felt quite heavy. I then moved on to the X RT because it was somewhat close in price. The X had more volume, but did not seem quite as rounded. Of course the full bodies, the GX player and performer were way better than both, but that is a class of itÿs own.

Back to the X vs. Cargo. The X was much more comfortable fort an extended period of time, whereas my hand felt cramped after about 40 minutes straight with the cargo(same with the baby T, and other travel guitars)

Both are GREAT guitars, but for me it comes down to price... Is the Cargo worth what they are asking? Remember now, for their asking price you are starting to enter the range where you can get an all wood full size import, or a laminate Taylor or Martin. If it were half the asking price, I would have it in my hands right now. But alas, I need to think it over a bit more...

So will I get one in the future? It is a definate... MAYBE!

Great guitar, not so great price!
As the prices goes up, so does my expectations.....

Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
I played 2 Cargos last week and found one to be quite a bit different than the other.

I was under the understanding that because CA's are made completely of carbon fiber that they all sounded the same unlike wood guitars where tone can differ within the same model.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
If the dealer was going over the MAP when he first quoted me MAP, then I would never go back to the dealer. If it was below MAP, I would still reconsider going back. Basically, I expect myself to keep my words - as well as any dealer I dealt with.

That said, the Cargo is one hot commodity. It's really stretching CA's capacity apparently - even communications at CA is not what it once was. But I expect this will be remedied - sure hope so.

PTL
Actually the dealer is a great guy. The price he first quoted me was "my loyal customer" price based on what the CA rep had first told him even before they announced the Cargo. SO his price was higher than he was told. He did however tell me that they are scrambling to make these lil guitars, and have a 90 day minimum backlog, and he said that once they become more readily avaliable, and should his cost come down, he would work me a better deal. He is a great dealer. He knew how interested I was to test the cargo, and he called me when it first arrived so I could have a first look and work over.

BTW the cargo held up to heavier strumming than the baby taylor and the mini alverez that he had in the shop... it held up to a LOT heavier strumming!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
They say the Cargo produces more sound acoustically than the X. If that's true, I expect it is indeed as good as many says. Love to hear your feedback.
PTL
The Cargo has a better rounded tone imo, and the X is louder, but not quite as full. The cargo reminded me of an Adamas...just smaller... and that says a lot... but I still have a hard time getting over the price...

Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana450k View Post
Is the Cargo worth what they are asking? Remember now, for their asking price you are starting to enter the range where you can get an all wood full size import, or a laminate Taylor or Martin.
The Cargo isn't mean to be a replacement for a Taylor 1xx or 2xx or 3xx. It's really meant to be a MUCH better Baby Taylor. And in that, it succeeds very well.

And, yes, it's worth the extra price . . . at least to me.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM

I listened to the sound clips of the various Composite Acoustcs models on their website all of which were unplugged versions recorded into a mic without EQ and I have to admit the one I liked the best was the CARGO.

I am affraid of the small scale though. I'm 6'.2". I have never played a small scale guitar but the CARGO is tempting me. Incredible sound and indestructible to boot.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
The Cargo isn't mean to be a replacement for a Taylor 1xx or 2xx or 3xx. It's really meant to be a MUCH better Baby Taylor. And in that, it succeeds very well.

And, yes, it's worth the extra price . . . at least to me.
I'm glad it is worth it for you. And I do know that it is meant to be a much better baby taylor. And I never said it would nor should replace the Taylor 1,2, or 3 series. But what I am saying is that at its price I can buy almost 3 baby taylors... so is it 3 times as good?... maybe. But for that price, you can get a really good full size guitar that will be better hands down.

Don't get me wrong... I think the Cargo is GREAT, and I would love to own one. But it is just the price that has me a bit put off.... but that is just me... I'm glad you like yours... I will still get a CA, but for the price... I may just spent the extra bones for a full size one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber