The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
If you like Martin, go for CA.
If you like Taylor, go for Rainsong.

Maybe oversimplistic, but it's right in the ball park
I think it's more like:

Rainsong = very bright Taylor
CA = very bright Martin

Just sayin.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Very nice! Thank you for the comparison photo of the OX over the GX. I've got an OX on order with a red rosette.

BTW: Check out the Acoustic Guitar Forum Limited Edition OX.

JR
Wow J.R., I almost forgot you had that gloss black OX with red rosette coming. Maybe we can do something with Rainsong this year if your up for it.

Knuckle, if it's the Martin tone you seek the OX is not the guitar for you. Out of all the guitars CA made the OX was the brightest tonally. In fact I recently did an A/B comparison between my OX RAW and a new Rainsong Studio OM and found them quite similar. Sure the Rainsong weighs half as much and has better note separation, but tonally they were closer than any other Rainsong CA combo I have tried, and I've tried them all.

If you are chasing wood tone from a carbon guitar than you should know that the model that sold Martin folks on carbon in my store was the Legacy, in particular the Legacy gloss. Although it's missing the overtones and sounds a bit muddy by comparison, it imitates a D-28 quite nicely un-plugged.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Well I don't know if I'm really chasing martin tone and I don't like dreads really. I'm just looking for a nice guitar that is a stable workhorse. I'm sort of tired of all the variations in guitars from weather. One day sounds great, the next day sounds like crap. Doesn't stay in tune.

I'll never have the opportunity to play one. Everything that I like is hard to get a hold of. I played a bunch of high end martins, taylors, gibsons the other day at GC. None of them did anything for me. I went back there to try a rainsong again that they had a week before. Of course that was gone.

Everybody likes the same old stuff it seems. I like the uncommon and new and progressive stuff. So hopefully if this OX sounds anything like the rainsong I played I'm going to like it. I'm just nervous that it will not be up to snuff as far as quality of workmanship. If so, it's going back. I'll put my own dents and nicks and scars in it
Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
If you are chasing wood tone from a carbon guitar than you should know that the model that sold Martin folks on carbon in my store was the Legacy, in particular the Legacy gloss. Although it's missing the overtones and sounds a bit muddy by comparison, it imitates a D-28 quite nicely un-plugged.
It's a shame that Peavey won't be producing the Legacy right away (though they have stated it will be available at some point in the future). The vintage voiced Legacy is the most wood-like sounding CF guitar available (IMO). It's the one that has the best chance to make a believer out of the doubting masses.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Well I personally could care less about the doubting masses and converting people. No offense. I'm just looking for something modern. It's about time. I mean how long has the acoustic guitar been around and nothing has really changed except added electronics?

At least some companies are starting to progress. Wood sounds great, I'll admit, but I'm sure the OX will sound great, just different. Coupled with a dual source system going into a DTAR solstice, I think it should sound cool.

To me, the OX has a real bada** look to it. It's not bizarre looking like those blackbird guitars, but a little more progressive look and feel than a regular OM. The shape of the back as far as comfort looks amazing.

Of course there's always the chance I'll hate it but hopefully not.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
Of course there's always the chance I'll hate it but hopefully not.
I would be very surprised if you "hate" it. However, if it turns out that you don't "love" it, there are plenty of other CF options out there.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
I'm just looking for something modern. It's about time. I mean how long has the acoustic guitar been around and nothing has really changed except added electronics?
This is true for everything, I mean it's 2011, weren't we supposed to have flying cars by now?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Default Ca Ox

I got to try out a CA OX at the Peavey booth at NAMM in January. I was quite impressed. And I also tried out a Rainsong, the lower priced unfinished model, and I wasn't as impressed. I don't know if tha CA OX was a new production model, protoype, or a leftover from the former CA, but it was nice. I even tried it with an amp, and it sounded great. These were originally supposed to be out by now, but I spoke with someone from Peavey last week, and it looks like they may be available late July or early August. I'm already on the waiting list at a local dealer.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:42 AM

i have played 7 cargos, 1 OX an 3 GX made by Peavey at Frankfurt Musikmesse last month. they were all made by Peavey. i think they improved them a lot. i was clearly surprised with the OX and the GX. also a cargo painted blue was superior to the rest by far.

they told me that Peavey didn't actually ask for any change, but people from CA wanted to improve their guitars as much as they could during this pause. i was really surprised about them!
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 AM

I'm looking for a guitar with the oommph of a Martin but in a composite.

Don't buy any of them until you play a Blackbird Super OM. To my ear they are quite close to that wonderful Martin sound. My BB Super OM has booming bass and sweet treble, a joy to play. I test played it against several Rainsongs and there was a big difference.

Last edited by taku; 05-10-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:12 AM

If you like the sound of a Martin and are looking for a composite acoustic close to that same sound, don't buy anything until you have tried playing a Blackbird Super OM. It has a wonderful deep bass and sweet trebles. I tried the BB Super OM against several Rainsongs, and, to my ear, the BB Super OM came much closer to that classic Martin sound. It was really no contest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber