The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2018, 09:26 PM

Default Thompson vs Merrill

I'm thinking about buying a OM-18 style guitar and I'm considering Preston Thompson vs Jim Merrill. Probably can't find either around where I live so will probably have to buy online. I have a great OM-28 Marquis that covers my rosewood needs and want a mahogany for recording. I prefer OMs to dreads.

Which of these two makers would you choose and why? Are there any others that you'd consider that make similar guitars (below $5K)?

I play a range of music - flat picking Americana style stuff, fingerpicking, I'm a singer songwriter.

Looking forward to hearing your .02 cents
Old 05-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Either luthier makes superb OMs, including -18 mahogany builds. Like you, I think a rosewood OM and mahogany OM are a great pair. There are numerous boutique builders who build wonderful instruments. I have a Bill Tippin rosewood OM and a Julius Borges mahogany OM. Both are deep body builds. If you are considering a new build, there is an older thread over on the Collings forum about Jim Merrill you may wish to read.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Eric Skye

Would love to check in a Thompson. I have a student with a few Merrill OM's and they are really great.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
If you are considering a new build, there is an older thread over on the Collings forum about Jim Merrill you may wish to read.
Yes, please read that thread first.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 05-12-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Yes, please read that thread first.
Absolutely - read that thread before you make a decision. You might want to make a pot of coffee help you get thru it - it is 32 pages long.

I have never had a chance to speak with Jim, but I have played probably 10 of his guitars, mostly OM's. All were used, ran up to 10 years old years and most had experienced issues - cracks,seam separations, bridge issues and neck resets among them. The newest post in that thread is almost two years old - there are some more recent posts on this forum and others which will give you some more recent experiences.

Tone-wise, while liking what I heard tone-wise from Merrill guitars, the tone was not consistent from guitar to guitar. Some were loud, some were soft. Some had a very focused, precise tone like a vintage guitar- some had a more modern, airy tone.

As far as Thompson Guitars are concerned, I have played a couple and discussed having a guitar custom built with Preston and his staff. The guitars have been all pretty uniform in their tone - i.e. focused, vintage in nature. The workmanship is top notch and they offer you an opportunity to dial-in a custom build to your liking.

In the end I postponed having my custom built for the time being - I had surgery/issues with my shoulder and also acquired a Thompson Rosewood OM. The tone is a great vintage sound and the workmanship first rate. Just an all around great guitar.

Last edited by eshrager; 10-17-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I was on the hunt for a Merrill D-18 once but never could find "the one". Toward the end of that hunt I tried a Preston Thompson D-MA (Adi/Mahogany dread). And while it was a very nice guitar I thought it was somewhat bland for my tastes especially at it's price point (over $5k) so I returned it. Not knocking Preston Thompson as a builder...just not what I was looking for I suppose?
I have no affiliation to Lowe Vintage other to say I've purchased from them and they're great folks but they have a very nice '07 Merrill OM-18.Best of luck! Link below...

http://lowevintage.com/products/?id=404

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-12-2018, 05:45 AM

Default used

While neither maker has been one with whom I have had experience, I know they are greatly respected and am under the impression that, even used, they'd sell north of your $5000 figure.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:50 AM

Both fine builders, but there are more than average repair stories, more Merrill than Thompson, perhaps a consideration?

Since you say you love your OM-28 Marquis have you eliminated mahogany Martin OMs?

I too am an OM fan, and like tone wood variety, my 3 Martin OM's have six different woods, I LOVE my OM-18 Authentic, despite it being the least expensive in my little collection.

Admittedly I am not a boutique guy, although I spend in the $5-20K range. In general Martin OM's should be somewhat more available to audition, and eliminate if they don't work for you, before harder to find/audition boutique builders.

I would add Santa Cruz to the mix also, happy shopping...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

My vote is the Preston Thompson. I played an Adi topped 12 fret Hog of his that still haunts me
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 05-12-2018, 06:28 AM

I've not played a Thompson, but seems to be highly regarded. I've owned three Merrills...two rosewood and one Mahogany. The Rosewoods I thought were just ok, the Mahogany was outstanding. FWIW, Guitar Gallery currently has one listed. If I was looking for one, I would be checking out Merrill, Franklin and Borges...but those would be getting pricey. But again, I'm not personally familiar with Thompson.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I was on the hunt for a Merrill D-18 once but never could find "the one". Toward the end of that hunt I tried a Preston Thompson D-MA (Adi/Mahogany dread). And while it was a very nice guitar I thought it was somewhat bland for my tastes especially at it's price point (over $5k) so I returned it. Not knocking Preston Thompson as a builder...just not what I was looking for I suppose?
I have no affiliation to Lowe Vintage other to say I've purchased from them and they're great folks but they have a very nice '07 Merrill OM-18.Best of luck! Link below...

http://lowevintage.com/products/?id=404

I have played this guitar and it is awesome. The first Merrill I had played. It is really good.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:30 AM

My .02 cents is never buy a guitar over $2,500 (and way below that for most people) that you haven't taken the time to touch, play and evaluate in person prior to laying down your money. This is a guitar YOU have to like. The information about build issues that have been known about for many years is but one of the factors you have to consider.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:02 AM

I have not played a Thompson so can't help w that.. have owned 60-70 acoustics over the years and have had a Merril OM-18 twice !! Love that sweet Mahogany guitar.. have read that some people think that is the best guitar Jim has ever made.. some years ago no less an authority than Eric Schoenberg posted on his site that "you don't need a pre War OM-18 at Thousands of dollars as long as you can get a Merrill OM-18" .. not sure how you can find that posting as it was years ago but it is true.. I have one and don't play it much anymore as I have fallen totally in Love with BRONDEL finger style guitars, A-2 and A-3 .. I own 3 of them now.. they are extremely expensive (my last A-2 cost $14,000.).. I have never posted mine (Merrill OM-18) for sale or offered it to anybody but if you are serious and decide to go the Merrill way let me know.. maybe we can come to an agreement? I am in Minneapolis and love talking acoustic guitars, no matter what you decide.. enjoy the hobby.. Jay
Old 05-12-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
While neither maker has been one with whom I have had experience, I know they are greatly respected and am under the impression that, even used, they'd sell north of your $5000 figure.
With today's market you should be able to get standard (non-blingy, EIR or mahogany B & S) versions for under your 5K target. The Merrill at Lowes is listed for $4500 on Reverb and I have seen Thompson OM's listed for under 4K.
The market is tight and there are some great deals available on some great guitars!!

You have been given many good comments - but perhaps the best is getting the opportunity to play the actual guitar you are buying before the purchase is finalized. It is a big investment and you want to make sure (as much as you can) that the guitar fits you - tone wise, cosmetically and playability.

The reality is that for many of the great builders discussed here, most people will have little if any opportunity to actually see or play them. With so many of the smaller stores closing up, forget about the boutique builders but even brands like SCGC, Collings and Bourgeois are hard to find near some major cities.

If buying used online, I would insist on a return period - especially for a guitar in the price range you are looking at. Have a guitar tech give it a good look and play it for as long as you can before you make up your mind.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Consider John Slobad (Circa Guitars) or Matt Arcara.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion