The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-18-2004, 11:14 PM

Thumbs up

I have a CA Legacy AE and I never want to buy a wooden guitar again!!
First of all, CA is totally different than Rainsong all together. CA guitars sound like real wood but they're pretty much indestructible!! Personally I think my CA sounds better than any Taylor I've heard in person and I've even owned a really nice Carvin Cobalt dreadnaught that didn't sound quite as good as my Legacy AE.
If you don't think a Carbon guitar could sound that good, then just listen to Tim McGraw's new album. It features CA Legacy AE's on every track but one. Furthermore, when that album was recorded, they had a huge amount of vintage, high dollar guitars to choose from in the studio. They compared them all to the CA Legacy AE for each song and the CA won every time but one. That says a lot!!

I have nothing against good wooden guitars and I know Taylor and Carvin make great guitars but when you find a guitar that sounds better and is this durable, why not get it.

I'd also like to mention that I've know quite a few people who played high dollar guitars only at home and at church and they took good care of them and they still basically fell apart. Here are a few examples.
1. One of my friends had a really nice Gibson Gospel that he really took good care of. After a few years of owning it, the neck started separating from the body.
2. Another friend of mine bought an expensive Taylor to play at home and at church. Well, within the first year the finish on the top got all screwed up and didn't look right. Something was wrong with the top that had to be sent back and fixed.
3. My best friend's pastor has a Gibson J-45 that is less than 5 years old and is really only used at church. The back of the neck is splitting and the tuners are goofed up.

I'm sold on CA Guitars. I really wouldn't want a Rainsong even though they are very durable because they don't sound as good as a CA Legacy AE.
CHeck them out for yourself at
www.caguitars.com
Old 07-18-2004, 11:50 PM

We CA owners sound like we're paid to endorse these things, don't we?

I've tried Rainsongs before, but they didn't "float my boat". (At least it could be used to paddle one.) Too "chimey" to my ears, at least the WS1000 that I was able to try.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:05 AM

My experience with CA vs. Rainsong was exactly the opposite. I strongly preferred the sound of the Rainsong to the CA, even though it did not sound as much like a wood guitar. I also preferred the feel of it. I do have the dred, and didn't like the auditorium size quite as much. I like the idea of having an instrument that has a distinct sound- if I want a dark, woody sound I'll play my dark, woody 714ce. Opinions vary, play a bunch and pick what you like.
It kinda makes sense that these guitars should last longer than wooden guitars; however, that will have to be proven over time. They're making the wooden ones better than ever before; I expect they'll be good for the long haul. I do have serious doubts about hybrid designs- plywood and CF, etc.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=LOTF]I'd definitely prefer to stick to solid wood. That's what guitars are supposed to be made from. QUOTE]

And buggys are supposed to be pulled by horses. My next guitar will be a CA. They are fabulous. I sold my Martin CEO because I was so paranoid about it, I didn't want to play it out for fear of it getting dinged. I had a ton of money locked into that thing, and didn't even play it when I needed my guitar to sound its best. I always have to rush home after church to get my guitars out of the car so they don't sit in the hot sun if we go to lunch. It will be great to not have to worry about that. The CA guitars seem to be a great step forward in acoustic guitar building.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 07-20-2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith
My experience with CA vs. Rainsong was exactly the opposite. I strongly preferred the sound of the Rainsong to the CA, even though it did not sound as much like a wood guitar. I also preferred the feel of it. I do have the dred, and didn't like the auditorium size quite as much. I like the idea of having an instrument that has a distinct sound- if I want a dark, woody sound I'll play my dark, woody 714ce. Opinions vary, play a bunch and pick what you like.
It kinda makes sense that these guitars should last longer than wooden guitars; however, that will have to be proven over time. They're making the wooden ones better than ever before; I expect they'll be good for the long haul. I do have serious doubts about hybrid designs- plywood and CF, etc.
Well, I owned two Rainsong ( a dreadnought and a Grand Concert) and two CA. I currently have a CA Bluegrass Performer. I find that both Rainsong and CA make wonderful instruments, and it is pointless to debate which is better,
because... they are differrent, and they want to be different.
Rainsong has a very modern sound (very enjoyable to my ears) , tons of
sustain, and great trebles. CA has a more "woody" sound, I mean warmer,
fantastic basses and delicate trebles. I personally slightly prefer my Ca, but
it is a personal taste and sometimes I miss the ringing trebles of a Rainsong.
I think that both brands are great and they will have a growing success in the market.

Gerardo1000
Old 07-20-2004, 06:53 PM

I would have thought that given that carbon guitars must be easier and cheaper to mass produce than wood guitars they would be a lot cheaper than they currently are.

Maybe, if they grow in popularity, we will start to see some price benefits to the consumer as production volumes rise and more manufacturers join the marketplace.

With only two real manufacturers in the market at present there isn't much insentive for either of them to enter into a price war but I predict that if the trend catches on they will eventually become some of the cheapest guitars in the market.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 PM

I don't know about that. There aren't machines that spit them out preformed. They still have to have the carbon fiber cut, shaped, glued, fretted, etc. It's still making a guitar, and it's not cheap stuff as of yet. That's why the hybrid wood/carbon guitars are a lot cheaper (though I don't really see the point).
Old 07-20-2004, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA
That's why the hybrid wood/carbon guitars are a lot cheaper.
They're cheaper because they're assembled overseas. For instance, Rainsong's "Projection Series" (graphite and mahogany) is made in Korea.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Fair enough. But I still don't think they will become some of the "cheapest guitars on the market." Cheap laminate wood, for the time being, is considerably cheaper than carbon fiber I believe.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:50 PM

Usually, the only thing that sets market pricing is the value of the product- real or percieved. As long as they're making carbon guitars that are good sounding, durable and well made, I wouldn't expect them to get any cheaper.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:21 PM

Smile

I sold two really nice Carvin guitars and a Line6 Flextone II to get my Legacy AE and it was well worth it. CA Guitars are well worth the price. I think you have to play one to really understand how awesome they really are.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith
Usually, the only thing that sets market pricing is the value of the product- real or percieved. As long as they're making carbon guitars that are good sounding, durable and well made, I wouldn't expect them to get any cheaper.
Short term, yes. Long term the market price is set by competition. The more competitors you have the closer the price gets to actual production costs plus materials.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Have I been sleeping so far? Does anything like carbon fiber guitars really exist?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

One thing that I've learned in 61 years is to use the words "always" and "never" very judiciously, especially when it comes to my guitar-buying habits. Whether it's a wood or carbon fiber guitar, I think you really have to audition it with an open mind and not a pre-conceived notion as to what other guitar it should sound like...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

i used to have this strong perception that because carbon fiber guitars do not sound like wood, i will never touch them. I knew of Rainsong's existence years ago and i thought they looked butt ugly.

Not until I laid my hands on one, I was completely blown away and finally understood the capabilities of these guitars. Now they just look awesome especially the ones with the gloss finish.

I now understand that I look for a guitar that sounds great to my ears and not look for a guitar that sounds like wood. I don't think carbon fiber guitars are primarily intended to sound as close to wood guitars. To me Rainsong has won me over for its tone and not for its durability functions (although this is an added bonus). Cedar is not going to sound like a Maple. I will bet that if a blindfold test is being carried out, most will not be able to tell them apart.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber